Other ways of getting AN1X sound

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: PEK, Voyager, JP-8080, Sirius, Radias, Lead 2, X-Station25, KS-Rack, Z1, MPC4000

Other ways of getting AN1X sound

Post by synthmax » Mon May 11, 2009 12:52 am

I've been hunting for an AN1X, but they come up rarely, usually sell a bit rich, and top condition is rare. Which other Yamaha instruments have that same exact engine, if any? I understand the EX5R does, and that an analog modeling board is available for workstations. Is it the same exact engine as in the AN1X though? Any other way of get the AN1X sound?

Re: Other ways of getting AN1X sound

Post by 0000 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:21 am

an200 and plg an boards in a few yam synths

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Mon May 11, 2009 1:54 am

I don't think the EX5 was the exact same, but at least very very close to it, and a bit more limited due to polyphony restrictions.

The PLG150-AN is based on the AN1x too, and to me it sounds a bit cleaner than the AN on EX5, probably due to the synth it was installed in having better processing due to age, and is compatible with Motif ES / rackES, CS6x, S80, S30, and probably S90ES but I'm not sure.
The AN200 adds the AWM drums, which are actually not the best, but I guess they could be useful.

But the AN1x doesn't go for that much actually, found it at least a few times recently for $200-300 on eBay.
EDIT: Just found this guy selling one on this forum! http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =9&t=48245

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Mon May 11, 2009 4:57 am

it simply can't be done :wink:
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:32 am

Don't do it.. just hold out for an actual AN1x.. it's a beauty (ok maybe not in 'looks' - though I don't mind it's looks).

And they are not expensive at all really, I see them go from around £150? Prob even cheaper in the US. Mine was well under £200 and in VGC (all legends in tact, no probs). Just watch out for the glitch on certain (early?) units that causes pops n clicks when doing something with scenes (you can stop it turning on/off I believe) - never had that fault on mine so not sure of the details.

If you were to buy an an200 (for ex) you'd already be 2/3 of the way to buying an An1x.

Failing that if you can't find one, and if you must - buy a prophet 5, minimoog, CS80 and Jupiter 8 and then you'll have a rough aprox of an An1x :lol: (yes that was tongue in cheek purist people!)

30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Post by 30h5 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:14 am

Hold out for one. I bought mine earlier this year for $280 off ebay when all was said and done. Though I waited quite a while for one that was that low.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon May 11, 2009 4:42 pm

Gianni wrote:I don't think the EX5 was the exact same, but at least very very close to it, and a bit more limited due to polyphony restrictions.
f=9&t=48245
The EX5 has the AN1X included.

EX5 has AN1X, also it has the VIRTUAL ACOUSTIC engine inside, plus a sampler, a FDSP exclusive, and a rompler.

Poly is not limited on the EX5. It has 128 notes poly. You can even make a single patch using the AN1X engine, the Virtual acoustic engine, the rompler and the sampler at the same time.

Very complex (and complicated) synth when talking about patch programming.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:56 pm

I've read in various places that the PLUG IN CARDS do NOT sound the same as the actual AN1x.. not talking 'features' just sound. Even the AN200 doesn't sound completely like an AN1x.. if you want AN1x... you buy AN1x :)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon May 11, 2009 5:55 pm

The EX5 does not "have an AN1x included". It has a two-voice VA engine that is similar to the AN1x. The EX7 has the same VA engine but it's only a monosynth.

The PLG150-AN board can't do splits and layers (in that reagrd it's like "half an AN1x"), morphing is much more restrictive and it depends on the host synth for FX. Those differences account for most of the sound differences. It is patch compatible with the AN1x within those restrictions, in fact the majority of the presets are AN1x presets.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Mon May 11, 2009 8:38 pm

balma wrote:
Gianni wrote:I don't think the EX5 was the exact same, but at least very very close to it, and a bit more limited due to polyphony restrictions.
f=9&t=48245
The EX5 has the AN1X included.

EX5 has AN1X, also it has the VIRTUAL ACOUSTIC engine inside, plus a sampler, a FDSP exclusive, and a rompler.

Poly is not limited on the EX5. It has 128 notes poly. You can even make a single patch using the AN1X engine, the Virtual acoustic engine, the rompler and the sampler at the same time.

Very complex (and complicated) synth when talking about patch programming.
I know it is very complex, just the possibility to merge synth engines makes it very interesting.

However, Yamaha themselves say it was based on the AN, not that it includes it. Biggest difference is the polyphony, since sound is very close; yeah, it can do 128 voices, but in AWM. AN is restricted to 2, which really cuts down the possibilities unless you just want a bass/lead machine.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:44 pm

I got my AN-1X for $200 locally off Craigslist.

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 pm

Just a quote :

What's the difference between an AN1x and PLG150-AN?

The major additions to AN for the PLG150-AN is the introduction of the VCO cross modulation algorithm and new oscillator wave forms (Multisaw, Triangle, Sinewave.)

The AN1x second Scene is not available on PLG150AN. This will not affect most AN1x voices, as it is common for only a single Scene to be used (the second scene providing a variation for morphing or accompaniment). Note that Scene morphing can be replicated by creating two voices from the original AN1x voice, each containing one of the original scenes. Thereafter store these as two separate voices on the PLG150-AN and use the program scene morph feature of the PLG150-AN device.

Layer/Split Modes - the PLG150-AN only supports Single and Unison mode.

Effects - The PLG150-AN only provides AMP SIM variation effect and EQ. If the original AN1x effects are important to the voice they must be recreated using the effects unit of the host device (e.g. CS6x, SW1000XG, MU100, MU128, S80 etc).

Hence in general the PLG150-AN does sound pretty much identical to the AN1x (so long as the above restrictions do not affect the voice). Using An1xEdit it is possible to intelligently transfer voices between the AN1x and PLG150AN. For more information see the An1xEdit help file sections "AN1x/PLG150-AN Overview" and "File Types and Voice Data".

Parameter differences between the AN1x and PLG150-AN are detailed in the 'AN1xEdit Help' file.

What's the difference between an AN1x and AN200?

The AN200 is a PLG150-AN card outfitted in a hardware enclosure that includes a selection of real time knobs and buttons for playback and recording. The major addition which distinguishes the AN200 from the AN1x is the 3 part multi-timbral AWM2 sound engine which provides 32 voices of polyphony. Three tracks are provided for you to build rhythm patterns using the 120 built-in drum, bass and percussive synth sounds.
It is all about sharing...

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:34 pm

And the PLG150-AN has half the polyphony, so you need two of them to match an AN-1X in straight polyphony. And a motif to put them in :)

mute

Post by mute » Tue May 12, 2009 10:02 am

The major additions to AN for the PLG150-AN is the introduction of the VCO cross modulation algorithm and new oscillator wave forms (Multisaw, Triangle, Sinewave.)
The AN1x second Scene is not available on PLG150AN.
(the second scene providing a variation for morphing or accompaniment).
Effects - The PLG150-AN only provides AMP SIM variation effect and EQ
(so long as the above restrictions do not affect the voice)
those are pretty major differences. pretty obvious a plg150an != an1x.

Megakazbek

Post by Megakazbek » Thu May 14, 2009 8:17 pm

mute wrote:those are pretty major differences. pretty obvious a plg150an != an1x.
These are mostly feature, not sound differences. And if the goal is to get "AN1X sound" then PLG150-AN will give you that and even more with its extended synth engine features. Considering the fact that you can install 2 or 3 cards in most PLG hosts which gives you same or better polyphony/layering features as on AN1X, the PLG version could be even better choice than AN1X.