What was your first synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
R.L
Gear: lots of stuff
Band: The Roy McCoy Band/ Man Vs Sam

What was your first synth?

Post by R.L » Thu May 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Everyone got to their points now with a starting synth, what was yours? Mine for example was my DX-7 mrk.2 my grandpa got me for my 4th birthday and that was 16 years ago. What was your first synth?
Moog MiniMoog, Yamaha CP-30, Yamaha DX-7, Ensoniq ASR-10, Ensoniq ASR-X, Rhodes MRK 3, Looking for a Roland Super Jupiter, and JP-8000

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: What was your first synth?

Post by Bitexion » Thu May 14, 2009 7:18 pm

I got a huge technics dual-manual organ w/ bass pedals for my 9th birthday..my parents apparently saw me as some kind of child prodigy since I aced my music classes and organ course classes. Not really a synth though, it was a PCM based Technics organ, around '87-88. Great sounding beast, though, lots of presets, chorus effects, with a full rythm box and lots of "styles", so I could belt out cover pop songs until the cows came home.

My first actual synthesizer wasn't until 2001 when I got a Roland RS-5. Then I had my first subtractive synth in 2003 with the Alesis Ion. I had a maybe 10 years hiatus when I was so completely sick of performing for my parents friends and anyone that visited the house, I couldn't touch a keyboard for years. I've played the organ again last summer, and was shocked at how bad the key action actually was, compared to my synths I'm used to now.

I've been entranced by synth music since I was old enough to listen to music I suppose. From Jarre's early 80's albums to a collection called World of Synthesizers that was lots of synth covers of popular songs and Vangelis songs. I learned most of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor from listening to that album and playing along.

I regret alot that I stopped playing for so many years now though. Back in the days, someone could say "play something nice" and I'd play some familiar pop song with chords and melodies. Now when ppl ask I manage a few cool filter sweeps and whatnot..I guess it is because I was more focussed on performing back then, whereas now I'm more focussed on creating sounds.
Last edited by Bitexion on Thu May 14, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu May 14, 2009 7:30 pm

mmm...

ENSONIQ SQ 1 PLUS.

After assisting to a DEPECHE MODE's concert on 1993, I decided that I needed to buy a synthesizer.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Thu May 14, 2009 7:48 pm

Roland JX-305 [-X

I like to think my first was the ESQ-1, but it was actually my second.
Gear List: A bunch that go 'WHHONNGG!', several that go 'tweedle tweedle' and 'thumpity', and a few that don't make any noise at all but have lots of delightful little lights on them.

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Thu May 14, 2009 8:21 pm

As I just posted elsewhere on this forum, a Yamaha PSS-480. At first glance, with it's 100 rhythm accompaniments, built in speakers and little keys it looks like a crappy home keyboard. But it's a 2 op FM synth with several waveforms. It gives you 8 parameters to play with from the front panel (not including portamento, vibrato etc) but many more are available via sysex. It has 5 patch storage locations. I saved my pocket money for months and bought it new in 1989, I still use it. It sounds dry and noisy on it's own but put it through an effect or two and it sounds great in a mix. Really good bass and pads. It also has a handful of PCM drum sounds.

Although not mine (it belonged to my school), in the early 90's I spent a massive amount of time with a D-50. I also did alot of sampling on my Atari ST back in those days.

30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Post by 30h5 » Thu May 14, 2009 9:01 pm

A Roland JX-305 and I want it back.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Thu May 14, 2009 9:06 pm

1st Synth: ARP Explorer

2nd Synth: ARP 2600
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Thu May 14, 2009 9:11 pm

not counting the Solovox and electronic organ, my first synth was an SQ-80. still with me, still going strong (one battery change is the only time it was down.)
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

masyst
Gear: 5 gears + reverse

Post by masyst » Thu May 14, 2009 9:26 pm

My first electronic instrument was a Casio SA65 toy keyboard, spent lot of time playing with all those fun sounds.
My first real synth was a Roland Juno 2 wich i got on a flea market a few years ago to 35$ or 250 norwegian kroner.
Then it was done, the Juno 2 was really a highway for me into the magic of synths...
A synthesizer will be for you what you want it to be...

dinotread

Post by dinotread » Thu May 14, 2009 10:34 pm

arp soloist or poly 61. don't remember what was first. they were both beat to h**l and broken when i got them. first fully functioning synth was my juno6.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Thu May 14, 2009 10:55 pm

microkorg :)

Software-wise back in the 80s I was programming little drum machines on my Amstrad CPC, then I discovered Octamed on the Amiga 500.
Stephen(2)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu May 14, 2009 11:54 pm

I'm sure this is the 2nd or 3rd thread I've seen asking this question, but what the hay? An Ensoniq ESQ-1.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Fri May 15, 2009 12:03 am

'Clef Microsynth' DIY kit. Never worked and broke my heart (and young wallet). I loved soldering it together, age 17 over the summer of 1982 just after my father passed away and my mum and sisters left me home alone for 2 weeks. I had just 'discovered' Vangelis and would listen to his album 'See You Later' over and over while soldering - eagerly awaiting being able to make the same sounds once complete(!). But despite being as careful as I possibly could (my father taught electrical science and I spent many a young hour nervously 'holding the soldering iron steady' while he repaired our TV) - the bloody Clef never worked. I sent it from Dublin to Clef (UK) but they made no real attempt to get it to work. It's still in my attic. It was a very clever design - lots and lots of routing (almost modular) via multiple two and three way switches.

My first 'working' synth was a Casio 1000P - I still love it. It has a wonderful argeggiator which I'd love to see replicated on a modern synth. You type in a sequence of digits from 0-9, and which ever keys you hold, they are played in the sequenced order you typed in. So if you type in 1,3,2,4 and hold C1,D1,E1,F1 then you get a sequence run playing C1,E1,D1,F1 notes. But if you only hold C1 then you get an 'arpeggio' playing C1, C3, C2, C4. What's great about that is that the number of notes replayed is constant irrespective of how many notes you hold - which is great for rhythmic parts. You can build up incredibly complex sequences because you can enter up to 128 sequence steps.

Kevin.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Fri May 15, 2009 12:37 am

My first synth was a Yamaha DX21 my parents gave me in 1986 after months of begging for a Juno-60 or 106. I've never been nostalgic about it. I was 13, and it was a pain to accomplish much of anything programming-wise.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

retrosounds

Post by retrosounds » Fri May 15, 2009 1:11 am

the microkorg
"Imagination is priceless"

"I bless the rains down in Africa"