Making analog-type strings on SY77

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Strangenono
Gear: Alesis Fusion 6hd
Roland Jx10
Yamaha SY77
Band: Technoir

Making analog-type strings on SY77

Post by Strangenono » Sat May 16, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi everybody,
I was looking through my yamaha sy77 banks and saw that there were no analog strings on it. I wasn't searching for a perfect recreation of jupiters or obies but something like this.
I started programming the awm section but didn't succeed in . I tried with both saw wave I and II but nothing ended in something decent, always something too "violinistic" , I mean very close to an acoustic sound.I also tried to layer it with itself and detune them but it still sucked. Even the preset called "obie strg" seems lacking something while on some digital keyboards of that time such as m1 or wavestation we were able to find decent analog strings emulations...Does anybody has advices or even sysex of such a thing ? Post demos of your work if you can.
Thx

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Re: Making analog-type strings on SY77

Post by Syn303 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:38 pm

I noticed you own an Alesis Fusion 6HD, why don't you use the multisampling capabilities of that?

Seeing as the Fusion allows multisampling (128 multisamples per sample), you could buy an analogue string machines Sample CD and load them into the fusion, as it accepts WAV and aiff files. That's one possibility you could look at.

One sample CD is XX-Large String Machines (2-CD Collection) http://www.soundsonline.com/XX-Large-St ... S-130.html
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Sat May 16, 2009 9:09 pm

May I suggest you consider buying this sound bank: http://www.electric-himalaya.com/yamaha_sy77.html

I do not know the guy personally, but I took the plunge after listening to the samples on his site and I'm glad I did. He has a couple of really nice analog string pads in there and you can take apart the sounds and see how he did it (mainly FM). It's a very well programmed bank of sounds.

My two cents.

Strangenono
Gear: Alesis Fusion 6hd
Roland Jx10
Yamaha SY77
Band: Technoir

Post by Strangenono » Sun May 17, 2009 1:46 pm

Thx for your answers,
but I' m not going to spend 25 bucks in a bank, I find it too expensive, in particular to only get ideas on how to make an analogish pad.
The AFM has some kind of interesting patches but definitely not matching my needs, I need to use awm but can't get a respectable result. I also won't use the fusion for it since I know how to make such sounds out of it but was just curious about the way the sy could do it.
Any other suggestion ?

I would like to sound like this : http://www.synthmania.com/Korg%20T3/Aud ... ogpad1.mp3
( this comes from a korg t3 but still remains on simple saw waves)

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Sun May 17, 2009 1:53 pm

$25 is a steal for that bank, imo.

You can make saw waves in FM. I guess you need to learn how to program FM. The SY77 can do what you're asking pretty easily.

Good luck.

socalsynths
Gear: Roland: JX10, Fantom FA76, Juno-60, Juno-106
Yamaha: DX7, SY77, Motif ES6
Korg: Triton Extreme, Wavestation

Post by socalsynths » Sun May 17, 2009 5:43 pm

Fm is the key- not AWM here. Do a double FM structure, utilizing a soft, detuned saw sound (go brassy- soft and breathy-brassy if you're using a disk preset). Detune -12, +12 fine points on each and then run both through the LPF, set at about 44. Run slow envelopes, hit it with chorus and delay, and you'll get a very JX-ish sounding synth string sound.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun May 17, 2009 8:06 pm

There are some superb analog emulations on the SY77 and many, as others have said, are heavily synthesized from scratch ie. mosty filtered FM rather than AWM1 based. I came across some brilliant phasey Jarresque strings today on mine - look for a patch called "ConvoStrgs" - instant Rendezvous 2!

The SY77 was terribly let down by it's factory presets and some of its AWM samples - it's a monster! 8)

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Mon May 18, 2009 6:16 am

:)
Last edited by Virgule on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Tue May 19, 2009 3:19 am

That sounds pretty kick-a*s.