What synth (s) you own but haven't played for over 1 year

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
smoothcriminal

Re: What synth (s) you own but haven't played for over 1 yea

Post by smoothcriminal » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:37 pm

Roland MC-303. It was the first "synth" I ever bought, and I literally didn't touch it for years until I started messing around with MIDI. I could never figure out how to assign different channels to different parts though, so I eBayed it and I'm quite glad to be rid of it. I still remember the salesman telling me to get Electribes instead, and I didn't listen :oops:

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:02 pm

korg ea-1, my first synth. I rarely play with it anymore but I do blow it kisses every night before bed.
Alesis Micron, i would like to sell it but i'm awfully lazy.
"no one on Facebook is looking for anything except for a way to tell you how great their fat kids are."

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:09 pm

I was going to say "none, I use or sell", but the Kaossilator has not been used for ages (and its not worth selling), same with the Gakken SX-150 that I keep because it's a nice souvernir from my trip to Japan :)

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Anyone who spends more than 720 hours without touching any of his synths should burn his a*s on h**l, peel his skin with a rusty razor and then wash on 99% alcohol
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

BritSynths

Post by BritSynths » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:17 pm

My OSCar rarely gets powered up, never took to it. Other than that the TX81z sits in the rack but has no real use
DW8000,MS2000B,JX3P,PG200,SH-32,JV-1010,MU90R, TX81Z,CZ101,VZ8M, Drumstation,AStation,XR10,RT-232,VirusB,K4R,Proteus 2000:Oscar,PhilipRees CSF,C16,Roland Gaia, Studiologic Sledge,Quasimidi Quasar,NanoSynth,NanoBass,Korg 03/RW, SR-88

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:47 pm

I've got two that I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with them. My S-750 was once my "go to" sampler (heck it was my only sampler :lol: ). But I haven't used it on a new track for at least a year now, and I haven't put any new samples on it since I got a V-Synth. Why not just get rid of it? Two main reasons: (1) a bunch of my old tracks used it extensively. If I ever wanted to be able to reproduce those, I'd have to figure out a way to transfer all of the samples to my V-Synth and then re-create the patches. (2) the S-750 is nicer to edit with than the V-Synth is, it does multitimbrality better, and it has all those outputs. Then again, I can do sample editing on the computer, and I can get by without the multitimbrality or outputs since I'm not performing live (although I still prefer virtual mixing to multitracking). The V-Synth has a heck of a lot more storage, it connects to the computer easily, and of course it mangles samples in ways the S-750 never dreamed of.

On the other hand: The market value of the S-750 isn't much. If I'm going to sell it, I want to sell the whole rig, which consists of five pieces: the S-750 itself, a Panasonic 13" CGA monitor (with the 10-pin connector that you don't find anymore), an RC-100 remote control, and two Syquest drives. Packing all that up will be a royal pain, and shipping it will probably cost more than the sale price.

And then there's the TG33. This one has kind of disappointed me. It does a lot of things, but it doesn't seem to do any one thing well. The two-op FM is limiting, the rompler section is ordinary, and I haven't gotten anything out of the vector synthesis that doesn't sound like ordinary envelopes and cross fading. I'm just not finding the expression capability that I thought I would get with vector synthesis. The TG33 is also an item with a low resale value. (Although I do have the hard-to-find rack ears. ;) )

What would you do in my situation? Keep in the setup, put it in the closet, or sell?
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:17 pm

My Korg EX-800 makes for a pretty nice MIDI through / cord extension -unit.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:18 pm

This thread is disgusting. Get some f**k feather dusters or something!

Polarelch

Post by Polarelch » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:57 pm

I don't have a lot of hard synths yet, mostly soft synths. This should explain the following dimensions ;)

Least used hard: Korg MS 2000
Least used soft: Massive, Absynth (came with Komplete), imposcar.
Sold hard: Micron (after a week), Microkorg, MSB Synth lite 2, Plugiator

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:36 am

I got an Alesis QS-6 that just sits there. It used to be my main keyboard about 10 years ago but I replaced it with a Nord Electro (which gets played nearly every day). Still I kept the QS because I liked the digital sounds, but I hardly ever use it nowadays.

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:44 am

My SH-201, back in my hometown in the US. I hate the damn thing, and want to be rid of it, even if it was my first synth. But selling an item on eBay that's across the ocean from where you are is a little difficult, not to mention shady-looking :P
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

felis

Post by felis » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:26 pm

I've got giant piles of gear I haven't used in years. Mostly because they're not worth much compared to what I paid for them. Also, because it's easier to keep them than to sell them. :lol:

drsynth
Gear: Arrick 88 modular Blofeld MicroWaveXT MicroQ Matrix6 VirusTI Prophet8 Lead 2X DX7II TX816 Arp Axxe PAIA P4700J R3 Drumtraks FIZMO
Band: Kindred Lost

Post by drsynth » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:25 pm

I have plenty of synths sitting around that I use only rarely. I am sick but not disposophobic.

In the late 80's I sold everything to start a family. Got out of the music biz' (back then there was a biz) and got back into writing/playing music decades later after having countless dreams (literally) of playing with the synths. If I were to purchase all the old vintage synths I sold it would cost me 20-30 grand. Some of the guys I sold them to gave them back to me. Nice guys.

So you see my psychosis prevents me from selling off these things. I play them all from time to time but each are just toys and tools for my pleasure so why should I sell them? I don't need the money and I really like having them around to play with. I work hard at my job for 60-70 hours a week and like to come home to my small touch point of pleasure.

When I croak my family will throw them all out or sell them for next to nothing. Why do I care? You guys may be lucky to bump into an 88 space portable modular for 300 bucks or something. Good for you.
-I was a teenage synthaholic-

aeon

Post by aeon » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:01 pm

I haven't used my E-mu UltraProteus in over a year. Other things have captured my interest more, simple as that. I've thought of selling it from time to time, but in the end, I don't think it would generate enough coin to make it worthwhile for me.

I have some sentimental nostalgia for some of the onboard samples because of my long-ago ownership of an E-mu Proteus/1XR. :oops:

questioning myself,
Ian

aeon

Post by aeon » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:25 pm

Well, I don't need to justify it really. The UltraProteus can be fun to play with and program.
  • Part of me likes it for the available filter types, and the spectral morphing that can be done.
  • Part of me likes it for the layered patches with overall function generator.
  • Part of me likes it for the ability to arbitrarily set loops, allowing for hard, buzzy leads, drones, and noise.
  • Part of me likes it for the dated, yet well-done samples from the classic E-mu library. There's something about the aesthetic of these short-loop samples that does it for me. They have a certain degree of artifact that I enjoy - realism, but not at all realistic, if that makes sense.

cheers,
Ian