I've just got Yamaha Electone D85

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

I've just got Yamaha Electone D85

Post by adamstan » Wed May 20, 2009 4:59 pm

I've just bought an electone D-85, and must say that it's really great keyboard =D>

In addition to typical organ sounds (which sound great thanks to built in Leslie) it has some very nice presets like piano or harpsichord which sound quite polymoogish, string sounds (with triple BBD ensemble chorus included), great choir patch, and preset monosynth similar to sy-1 delivering very warm single-osc leads.

It also has built in beatbox and arpeggiator.

I think it can be called an analogue workstation :wink: except that it has no sequencer.

Here is little video - a tune from 'stone age' game. Enjoy!

Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

tim gueguen

Re: I've just got Yamaha Electone D85

Post by tim gueguen » Thu May 21, 2009 2:35 am

Makes me think of Jarre, which isn't surprising given that a lot of his polyphonic sounds on Oxygene et al. were '70s analog organs.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Post by LucB » Thu May 21, 2009 10:50 pm

Wow, just amazing what three manuals can give you...

We should make a list of all electronic home organs that would be for synth geeks to acquire once they've settled down and have the space. Organs that have credible string, mono and/or polysynth sounds added to their conventional features.

Yamaha CSY-1 and CSY-2 for sure.
Obviously Yamaha Electone D85!! ehehehe

What else?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu May 21, 2009 11:13 pm

That's a beautiful sounding instrument. You should make multisamples, I'd buy 'em :)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri May 22, 2009 1:08 am

LucB wrote:Wow, just amazing what three manuals can give you...

We should make a list of all electronic home organs that would be for synth geeks to acquire once they've settled down and have the space. Organs that have credible string, mono and/or polysynth sounds added to their conventional features.

Yamaha CSY-1 and CSY-2 for sure.
Obviously Yamaha Electone D85!! ehehehe

What else?
we actually had a great organ thread but i can't seem to find it now. lots of fantastic pics of giant organs that looked like a spaceship cockpit. there was a lot of good info in that thread...

adamstan
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Fri May 22, 2009 5:28 am

Probably the greatest of "synthy" Yamaha Electones (GX-1 aside) is E-70, which, as FlameTopFred reports, is essentialy preset version of two CS80's stacked together, with some organ voices thrown in.

E-50 is similar, but has fewer presets and its synth voices are single osc - so it's somewhat like two CS50's ;-).
One E-50 was available for sale here last summer, and I really regret, that I didn't have then the space for it :-( Unfortunately these greater Electones are quite rare here in Europe - we have only tons of crappy sounding basic models from B-series :-(

E-45 is console version (2x61 manuals and 25 key pedalboard) of D-85 minus monosynth - but it retains great string and choir sounds :-).

I'm thinking about extending the pedalboard on my D-85 to 25 keys (as key assigner IC allows this), and maybe adding external programmer for monosynth (I don't want to damage control panel, as it's beautiful :-) )

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri May 22, 2009 5:40 am

um.... wow... that sounds awesome... too bad i have nowhere to put one

LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Post by LucB » Fri May 22, 2009 2:25 pm

Space seems to be the ultimate issue with these home organs. I'm pretty sure that with the right electronic tech skills and a little time, a lot of money could be made by just saving and scavenging these organs (that often go fo next to nothing because the person is just trying to get rid of this big piece of unused furniture), and then reducing them into a combo organ format, where you remove the whole back/stand part of the organ, cut a small box out of the scraps for the foot pedals and isolate the connections between the manuals and bass pedals through a single wire and install a pin connector.

This way, you can get amazing combo organs out of a CSY-1 and such. Given that that you make the chassis for the bass pedals out of the stand chassis, all you need to provide is a foldable metal stand. I'm sure these portable classic could fetch a fair price, and if you've initially didn't spend much on the home organ, i'm sure there's good money to be made there. Not to mention keeping all the really good ones for yourself!eheheh

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Fri May 22, 2009 4:06 pm

Great video, great sounding instrument and a nice score. I've been watching these on youtube for quite a while, although I eventually just settled for a SK-20 myself as it was impossible to find any of the PASS -models here. Someone was attempting to sell a E30 for the modest price of 1500€ though - without even specifying the model and not having the keyboards and controls exposed in the photo, mind you. I had to spot the correct model on that by the ornamentation.

I think it's been refuted by various people here and on the various organ forums on the net that the E70 would be the equivalent of a CS80. Still would have liked to get one for myself, but it's not going to happen in this geographical region.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Fri May 22, 2009 5:24 pm

From what I was reading online the other night Yamaha used different model numbers in the US for that era of organs. The D85 for example was apparently the 415 in the US.

If you're a Who fan the Yamaha E70 might be the one to get, as it's responsible for the "sequencer" part on "Eminence Front."
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat May 23, 2009 7:16 am

Great video, sounds incredible!

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Sun May 24, 2009 3:32 am

I'm a sucker for old organs also, and this video makes me want to try something other than a hammond, nice job!
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

heilei
Gear: CS01 | TR-626 | CZ-101 | TX81Z | D4 | Morpheus | SX-P30 | XP-30 | Planet Earth | Z1 | HS-8 | M-One

Post by heilei » Mon May 25, 2009 10:08 am

All Electone owners, unite! 8)

Here's my beloved HS-8:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/~w187045/sb/img/hs-8.jpg
CS01 | TR-626 | CZ-101 | TX81Z | D4 | Morpheus | SX-P30 | XP-30 | Planet Earth | Z1 | HS-8 | M-One

adamstan
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:02 pm

I've just made another video with my electone.
"Kosmiczne opowiadania" ("Cosmic tales") by Marek Bilinski.

Here is the original 1986 video - the track features Minimoog on lead and bass, DX7 on almost everything else and RX15 on drums.

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:14 pm

man, i'm loving these organ workouts. show stoppers! :)
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first