Sun Ra synth ID?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Sun Ra synth ID?

Post by pflosi » Mon May 25, 2009 8:11 pm

great! always a pleasure micke

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Mon May 25, 2009 9:13 pm

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Why's the guy playing it on a lean like that? I've seen a few people do that. Looks silly to me
Yeah, many prog rock and metal keyboardists do it a lot. I tried it once and it felt easier to play faster that way, not always that exact though...
The only guy that can pull it off in my opinion is Derek Sherinian with a bunch of Nords:
http://www.xplanetx.com/images/gallery/ ... erek05.jpg
http://www.xplanetx.com/images/gallery/ ... erek03.jpg
:D

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Mon May 25, 2009 10:14 pm

Ahh can't get into it
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

LWG

Post by LWG » Tue May 26, 2009 7:36 am

Bitexion wrote:It is to prevent bending your wrist when standing. If you look at your hands when you stand, they are pointing more vertically than horisontally. So an angled-upwards keyboard is more natural than having to bend the wrists to reach the keys. Keytar players also use that technique since the keyboard is then hanging at waist-height.

Hello,

Very much on point. This playing angle with combo organs was frequently used by a number of players during the seventies.
Commodores keyboardist, late Milan Williams (RIP) also played Farfisa
in that position. He's pictured in the following clip playing the
clavinet with the organ just to his left.

Commodores - Machine Gun

Commodores - Machine Gun (better audio)

Around mid-to-late seventies, I also saw Farfisa combos set up in upward angles in recording studios.

Regards,

Lawrence

LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Post by LucB » Tue May 26, 2009 4:38 pm

Sun Ra is the s**t. Really opened up a lot of possibilities using combo organs. I found a video of him doing a tv show with nothing but an Eko Tiger Duo, i mean.... who could do that but him? No on would even consider doing this, even back then!

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue May 26, 2009 4:56 pm

Here's a rundown of some of the keyboards Sun Ra's been using between 1965-1985:

mid/late 60's - Clavioline - electronic celeste

1967/68 - Gibson kalamazoo, Hohner clavinet , clavioline

late 60's/early-to-mid 70s - Farfisa org (Professional), RMI rocksichord, Hohner Electra, clavinet, mini-Moog (first a prototype model B, then a RA.Moog Mini and finally a Model D, this latter one was used throughout the 70's)

late '71, '72 - Eko tiger combo organ

mid '77 - circa. 1980 - ARP (unknown model), Fender Rhodes, Yamaha combo org (YC-30), Hammond B3, Mini-Moog D and Crumar Multiman.

Then around the mid '80s he started to use a DX-7
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco » Tue May 26, 2009 5:08 pm

According to the biography I read, He also used a Hammond Solovox in the late 40's. he was one of the first to get one when they became available IIRC. There are a few pictures in the book with it showing.

Sun Ra is the most inspiring musician I have encountered, not always accessible to most, but if you can dig it, there is a whole lot there.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue May 26, 2009 10:35 pm

So as an unitiated to this space-man, what should one listen to? Did he do some weird psychedelic prog synth music or something? I've heard he had some really sick modular systems built like a space ship and used all these crazy funk clothes on stage.

moxo

Post by moxo » Wed May 27, 2009 1:19 am

respect to Micke!
thanks for the sun ra synth low-down :D

JNeidlinger
Gear: MS-10, MS-2000, CZ-3000, JX-3P, JX-8P, ER-1, MSQ-700, Prophet-600, Poly-61, x0xb0x, OB-SX, Moog Slayer EX-800, Polivoks Filter, Yamaha GS-2, and on...

Post by JNeidlinger » Wed May 27, 2009 3:51 am

Bitexion wrote:So as an unitiated to this space-man, what should one listen to? Did he do some weird psychedelic prog synth music or something? I've heard he had some really sick modular systems built like a space ship and used all these crazy funk clothes on stage.
This should get you initiated:

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Wed May 27, 2009 4:36 am

You really can't easily describe Sun Ra and his music since he was such a peculiar guy, especially when you consider that he was a child during the early days of jazz and started playing professionally just as swing was taking off. Elements of that era would remain in his work even as he headed towards the outer fringes of jazz as the years went on.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Wed May 27, 2009 5:22 am

Free jazz before there was free jazz, big band, but in a really weird way. Really, really cool guy.
I would recommend Space Is The Place as the starter album, then if you want to try the big band stuff, look at Angels And Demons, or Jazz In Sillhouette, and if you want to try the wild stuff, look at Heliocentric Worlds 1 and 2, or Atlantis.
virb.com/ookpikk

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Wed May 27, 2009 8:10 am

I`m a big Sun Ra fan - but I`v always prefered his piano playing to the later synth stuff. Is this heresy to post this here? Also just like other great jazz band leaders it was the focus and inspiration he brought for greater musicians which make his music so important - the level that he raised John Gilmore`s solos to. Or the extraordinary Ronnie Boykins.

The best analogy for this is Ben Webster in the Ellington band. Though a great tenor player, it was his brief spell with Ellington where he really peaked. I love this concept - the master band leader as inspiring catalist for creativity. And Sun Ra was so energetically cosmic he`s a great inspiration for anyone who wants to get off this planet!
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed May 27, 2009 11:24 am

There's something called the Crumar Mainman mentioned on the sleeve of the Disco 3000 LP, an album that features a lot of rhythm box. But no-one seems to know what this is exactly, maybe just a misnamed Multiman.

That's a great album anyway for anyone interested in the more electronic side of Ra.

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco » Wed May 27, 2009 3:10 pm

This is a good intro to the man and some of the work he's done.

His music catalog is so long that it's hard to point anyone in the right direction unless they have a wetsuit on. He had his own independant label in the 50's and recorded his own stuff in the late 40's even. This guy is just huge.