What is the Oldest Piece of Gear in Your Studio?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: What is the Oldest Piece of Gear in Your Studio?

Post by snsr » Fri May 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Micromoog (1976), followed by my Korg Stage Echo 500 (1979). I'm glad I don't look or smell as old as these guys, even though we're of a similar vintage : )

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri May 29, 2009 8:23 pm

cornutt wrote:Hey Ruff, are those neons in your Seeburg beatbox? That's what they look like in the photo. My guess is that it uses them as attack or spike generators. They might also be neon-lamp oscillators. (Some old organs used neon-lamp oscillators.)
What do you mean by "neons"? How could I tell? From what I've seen, they are little lights with two coils running vertically through them. They blink in time with the beat, and more than one seems to blink at any given time depending on what sound is being played. One, right at the top stays on the entire time the unit is on, and then still stays lit and dims slowly after it's turned off.
Like you say, they must be triggering something or causing the beat somehow (which I guess is obvious), but I have no idea how! If you have any more insight into what they are doing, I'd love to know!

Something else very strange- there are also little extra clicks and sort of random pattern shifts that occur as well... extra kick hits, etc.... How you can get all this from one looped contact is pretty incredible!
Do you even post on vse bro?

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Fri May 29, 2009 11:00 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:What do you mean by "neons"? How could I tell? From what I've seen, they are little lights with two coils running vertically through them.
Sounds alot like a neon lamp/bulb to me!

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Sat May 30, 2009 2:38 am

cornutt wrote:Hey Ruff, are those neons in your Seeburg beatbox? That's what they look like in the photo. My guess is that it uses them as attack or spike generators. They might also be neon-lamp oscillators. (Some old organs used neon-lamp oscillators.)
i'll bet they are used as a keying matrix... notice there seems to be only one "ring" of contacts on the scanner. Wurlitzer (Sideman) has ten sounds and ten "tracks" on the scanner so different tones can 'share' the same beat without triggering both on every beat. pardon my poor explanation.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Post by White » Sat May 30, 2009 8:42 am

The oldest synth I have in my studio is a Sequential Prophet VS. A real gutsy American sound.
Last edited by White on Sat May 30, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

electronicpulse
Gear: Oh... I'm going to have to do an inventory!

Post by electronicpulse » Sat May 30, 2009 9:11 am

Oh, that would be my Roland SH-2. Love the thing and don't know what I would do without it. Frankly, they just don't make gear like they used to.

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Sat May 30, 2009 3:17 pm

CS80...1978-79?
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

Ian S

Post by Ian S » Sun May 31, 2009 2:41 am

Odyssey, probably 1973, certainly no later than 74 because that's when the Mk. 2 came out. I'm sure Micke could tell me from the serial number ;)
Casio PX-320, Odyssey Mk.1, Multiman-S, Andromeda A6, DW-8000, JD-800, Yamaha DX11, AN1x, & SK30, E&MM/Maplin Spectrum, Akai S3000XL, E-Mu Proformance 1, Esi-32, & Classic Keys, Alesis D4, Rickenbacker 4001.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:57 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
What do you mean by "neons"? How could I tell? From what I've seen, they are little lights with two coils running vertically through them. They blink in time with the beat, and more than one seems to blink at any given time depending on what sound is being played. One, right at the top stays on the entire time the unit is on, and then still stays lit and dims slowly after it's turned off.
Like you say, they must be triggering something or causing the beat somehow (which I guess is obvious), but I have no idea how! If you have any more insight into what they are doing, I'd love to know!

Something else very strange- there are also little extra clicks and sort of random pattern shifts that occur as well... extra kick hits, etc.... How you can get all this from one looped contact is pretty incredible!
These are actually special form of neon lamp that were used as logic elements in the early 60's. They were often used to implement ring counters, frequency dividers and memory. It works because the striking voltage (and consequential current change) of a neon is much higher than the holding voltage. Once the neon lamp is struck and running it's logic state has changed and remains held in that state until the power is withdrawn. In this case they are probably used to sequence the pattern clock in a continuous loop.

One very popular application in the 60's for this kind of circuit was the sequencing of the segments on the gallons/dollars display used in nixie tube based gas pumps. Very clever and very pretty :)

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:56 pm

urgetoplay wrote:CS80...1978-79?
Don't you have a CP-70 though? Surely that is older?
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:35 pm

hfinn wrote:Image
Wow - Jarre would be proud! Definitely ahead of it's time this one....

Gregor Samsa
Gear: Too much (not enough).

Post by Gregor Samsa » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Fender Rhodes Mark I is my oldest electric piece. I also have a JenCo Celeste from the 50's.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:38 pm

Probably my Univox SR55 (Korg Mini Pops 3) then a bunch of late 70s stuff.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

de raaf

Post by de raaf » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:16 pm

my eko tiger duo, yamaha cs01 and siel mono
and yamaha 1005 analog delay
+ a few other things
got them all pretty cheap