Do people get addicted to flipping synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Do people get addicted to flipping synths?

Post by space6oy » Tue May 26, 2009 10:44 pm

Bitexion wrote:I flip my synths over every day, I'm addicted too. Sometimes I flip them twice so they are the right side up again.
Or I'll just juggle them for a while.
ZZ top w/ keytars!

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed May 27, 2009 12:22 am

LucB wrote:
You said you paid 80$ for it on another thread! .
If I remember correctly he asked $70 but I gave him $80 :)

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Wed May 27, 2009 7:20 pm

I've never flipped synths, or any other gear for that matter. I just carefully choose what I want, find a half decent example, buy it and keep it... I can't see myself selling anything in the forseeable future.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Wed May 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Where's Nadafarms? This conversation can only go so far without VSE's most vehement flipper! :lol:
haha Ruff. I actually am getting out of the game as much as I can, though I can't turn down a good deal. :D In the end it's a dead end road for my creativity, nice to get some cash but I should be working on my art. So I'm trying to quit man!

I was like Automatic G. at first where I would want to try everything and I'm still guilty of that, flipping is a nice way to try all the vintage synths without losing any money and that right there can be majorly addictive.

It actually has taken it's toll on me, even pisses my girlfriend off when I'm up late at night or not spending time with her because I'm scouring or closing a deal. Also you have to be aggressive to get deals which I don't like having to be, you also have to take a lot of financial risk.

I've stopped scouring randomly and my local SF craigslist is pretty dried up so I have a hard time watching it closely these days. Craigslist is the not the goldmine it used to be because plenty of flippers and collectors watch it like a hawk. There is one guy here in SF that will respond to you no matter what you post in 20 minutes with a lowbal offer, so annoying.

Now that the economy is bad people aren't selling off their "junk" vintage synths for cheap like they would if they had a good job, now they are trying to get whatever they can and sales/prices have plummeted on vintage synths it takes way longer to sell something now.

So hopefully my flipping days are nearing a close, if I can get a good job I'll definitely quit.

Now if I moved back to LA I would probably flip full time like one of my friends who is just killing it down there!

So I'm going clean, getting out of the game, water under the bridge. I'm even going software mostly!

Now who wants to buy a prophet 10.
for sale/trade: EML-101

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed May 27, 2009 10:15 pm

nadafarms wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:There is one guy here in SF that will respond to you no matter what you post in 20 minutes with a lowbal offer, so annoying.

Now who wants to buy a prophet 10.
give you 10 bucks for it.

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Wed May 27, 2009 10:23 pm

nadafarms wrote:There is one guy here in SF that will respond to you no matter what you post in 20 minutes with a lowbal offer, so annoying.
There's a couple guys in LA like that (one might be your friend!).

'Sure, I'd love to sell you my $2,000 piece of gear, that I just put up for sale fifteen minutes ago, for half the price!' W... T... F?? :roll:

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Wed May 27, 2009 10:31 pm

I've learned to deal with lowballers, i always send a super pc answer like thanks for your interest etc etc.

Some people just can't themselves, even on this forum.

Oftentimes I'll put stuff at the highest price it can sell and people write to tell me I'm way off and that they'll buy it for this more reasonable price. I just wait until it sells at asking price (it almost always does), proves them wrong!

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Wed May 27, 2009 10:35 pm

BoxPhenom wrote:I've learned to deal with lowballers, i always send a super pc answer like thanks for your interest etc etc.

Some people just can't themselves, even on this forum.

Oftentimes I'll put stuff at the highest price it can sell and people write to tell me I'm way off and that they'll buy it for this more reasonable price. I just wait until it sells at asking price (it almost always does), proves them wrong!
I tell them to f**k off. :)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed May 27, 2009 11:50 pm

I suck at selling the synths I get..friends have told me over and over to just sell some of those synths that stand around here that I rarely use. I always say noooooooooooooo they're mine all MINE!