Do people get addicted to flipping synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
stikygum

Re: Do people get addicted to flipping synths?

Post by stikygum » Tue May 26, 2009 2:11 am

Flipping synths can no doubt be addictive as anything. Whether you're collecting, experimenting with which synths fits your style, or just curious, it can turn into a very addictive habit that can be hard to break. That's why it's not too good to go buy a synth based on hype. With internet tools, you can easily search for synths and listen to them. I'll admit, I wanted to try everything under the sun, but I've realized after having a certain number of synths that it is indeed not the synth that is so special, it is the programmer and your ability to sound design.

Sure a Mini will sound a lot more raw than todays synths, but it doesn't mean that you can't achieve the same sound that 90% of your audience won't be able to tell the difference. To me, I can achieve the same result as someone with a vintage or modern, by instead using one of my analogs or softsynths and running them through preamps. They carry the same weight then and there is no reason to get caught up in the synth go round game.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue May 26, 2009 2:41 am

But buying and selling synths has nothing to do with what an audience might hear for me, it's a totally self indulgent, almost un-musically related past time
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Tue May 26, 2009 2:47 am

I would be considered a flipper. I troll craigslist every day for cheap synths, buy them, use them, then sell them at market value. I don't think anyone would do anything differently. No one is going to resell the sh-1000 I bought for $50, for $50. Or the CS-20M I bought for $70, for $70. And hey in between I learnt my personal preferences with synths (need instant recall of patches, and be small enough to gig with) and made enough money to get my portable dream rig going.. and turned a nice profit in between ;)

edit: I come by it honestly, my dad owned a guitar shop :)
Last edited by th0mas on Tue May 26, 2009 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue May 26, 2009 2:48 am

I don't think anyone was advocating that you should sell synths for what you paid for them, who here is going to do that on principal? it just means less synth gears for you later on
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue May 26, 2009 4:19 am

Where's Nadafarms? This conversation can only go so far without VSE's most vehement flipper! :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue May 26, 2009 5:04 am

ha, he hasn't been around for the past five weeks but i'd have put wiss up there for that title... JS & stalfosia might be competition too! ;)

i've been guilty of grabbing a steal just knowing i could sell it for more. haven't been on the prowl lately, but imagine i will be again eventually.

"flip you, flip you for real!"

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue May 26, 2009 5:08 am

So is flipping the opposite of GAS? We need a cute little acronym for it now. I too found myself flipping things unintentionally. Styles in music, synthesizers I'm into vary widely from year-to-year. Often my flips don't make money, but breaking even. Slowed down quite a bit as I'm feeling quite comfortable with what I have now.

I did see a JP8000 in a pawn shop for 6 months, hoping to flip. It looked like it was gigged a bit. But they would not come down from $600. They made up some story a famous hip hop artist used to own it. It is probably still there.

anticool

Post by anticool » Tue May 26, 2009 5:13 am

Okay so "flipping synths" is when you: find super amazing deals on synths, buy them, and sell them for profit.

Whats it called when you: find super amazing deals on synths, buy them with the intention of selling them for profit, and keep all of them because they are super rad and you can't live without each and every one of them?

nuromantix

Post by nuromantix » Tue May 26, 2009 10:20 am

Ha I'm the opposite, last year I bought an 808 and 909 cheapish, the year before a 303 and this year a Roland PH830 phaser, all of them with the intention of making a few tracks and then making a profit.
Still got all of them.
The only one I would even consider parting with is the 909.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue May 26, 2009 12:29 pm

Flipping is not always for profit or stupidity.

If I think I might want a particular synth often the only way to try one out is to buy one online. Of all the synths I've bought and sold over the last 5 years only two were stocked at local dealers. The others I bought and tried for a few weeks/months, decided they weren't for me and sold.

That's why I try to buy used as often as possible so I don't take a big loss if I decide to sell it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue May 26, 2009 12:55 pm

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:I don't think anyone was advocating that you should sell synths for what you paid for them, who here is going to do that on principal? it just means less synth gears for you later on
I've been publically and privately shunned for making money off of things I buy at lower prices... on a few forums. And we are talking prices within the "normal" range...not outrageous stuff.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

breitt

Post by breitt » Tue May 26, 2009 5:33 pm

The hunt is always better than the kill. The research of the instrument, the quest for the best deal, the reorganization of the studio and then mastering the unit itself is often more exhilarating than the actual resulting music.
Elektron Analog 4

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Tue May 26, 2009 6:28 pm

I look at it this way: many of us on this board can repair synths, but we are a minority in the music world. I buy broken, whacked synths and use my time and talent(?) to make them work correctly again. I try to make enough margin to pay for parts, and the use of my knowledge. my 'time' realy dosn't count. I'm retired and get major pleasure out of bringing these vintage synths back to life.
and yes, I enjoy learning the operation of each different synth, and playing the h**l out of them, programming new sounds with them, and at last finding them a good home.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Post by LucB » Tue May 26, 2009 7:10 pm

th0mas wrote:I would be considered a flipper. I troll craigslist every day for cheap synths, buy them, use them, then sell them at market value. I don't think anyone would do anything differently. No one is going to resell the sh-1000 I bought for $50, for $50. Or the CS-20M I bought for $70, for $70. And hey in between I learnt my personal preferences with synths (need instant recall of patches, and be small enough to gig with) and made enough money to get my portable dream rig going.. and turned a nice profit in between ;)

edit: I come by it honestly, my dad owned a guitar shop :)
You said you paid 80$ for it on another thread! Anyways, Daniel will be so pissed to hear this...NAh just kidding he's the most seasonned flipper i know i'm sure he doesn't care.

I do agree with you on the flipping to be part of a larger process where you buy and flip gear to see how it fits in your preferences in sound and functionality and drop it if it's not fitting the bill. That's how i got to realize i prefer solid (but tweakable) presets, like string machines and combo organs, and like my synths to fit in a very small amount of space because along with the bass pedals and the pedalboard, i lack space on most bar stages here.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue May 26, 2009 10:33 pm

I flip my synths over every day, I'm addicted too. Sometimes I flip them twice so they are the right side up again.
Or I'll just juggle them for a while.