Which synthesizer(s) do you regret getting or selling

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Angstwulf

Re: Which synthesizer(s) do you regret getting or selling

Post by Angstwulf » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Regret buying:

MPC1000 - it's an excellent piece of equipment but I somehow never "got" it. When I realized that it had never been used in anything that I've done I realized it was time to go. MPC, it wasn't you, it was me.

Regret selling:

Kurzweil Micropiano - the exact opposite. Sold it during the great equipment purge of 2008. There was nothing special about it but I didn't realize how important it was until it was gone.

Akai AX60 - another victim of the great purge. Sold to make room for a Virus Indigo. It should have gone into storage until I had room to expand again.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:37 pm

regret:
the $60 SH1000 I owned. That filter was amazing. I wasn't really set up to multitrack record analog synths, and was too involved with using only software. Sold it for a profit but kinda miss it's bass

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:29 pm

CS-15. :cry:
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

implant

Post by implant » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:30 pm

i f**k up bad years ago and sold an ARP 2600 when a person could still buy one for a reasonable price.

edwin.bossier

Post by edwin.bossier » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:24 pm

My Yamaha A3000 V2, because it was such an excellent effect processor, I should never have sold it...

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:03 pm

regret buying:
Yamaha DJX
Mopho (it was ok but not great for me)

regret selling:
novation nova
MFOS WSG
Korg EMX (sorta missed but love my RS7000 I got in trade)
JX3p w/ pg200 - (awesome synth but I knew I could sell at a profit to fund new gear..)

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:20 am

regretted buying... everything, eventually
regretted selling... everything, eventually

I flip gear rather than hoard it. Don't mind so much - I see it as cheaper than hiring. Prefer keyboards to racks, and don't have the space [or the family life] to have more than a couple at any one time. So, I've sold a Lil' Phatty, Lead 3, MS2000 twice, Virus TI 3 times [I know...], a Motif XS7, PK-6...

Miss the Motif most, actually. Beautiful to play and screw around with. For a while I had a lead 3 on top, and that's the combo I miss most.

Still, I'm pleased with the Evolver's sonic mayhem - it cures my modular lust every time I play it - but I'm just going to buy an Indigo [1, not 2 - Virus B engine for me] to go with it. Two 3-octave synths, more knobs than the European parliament, and they'll look rather fine stacked up. Hey, maybe 3 36-noters is the same as 2 61's.... what would your third 3-oct synth be? I'm tempted for a microQ key or maybe some older classical analog...
Less words more noise

smoinync

Post by smoinync » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:05 pm

Regret buying
Brand new Moog Slimphatty (I'm not amazed by Moog's new gears)
DSI Tetra, DSI Mopho module (I purchased them quite cheap especially Tetra, both are fantastic but I hate programming that way)
Roland Aira TR8, MX1
Boss RC505,
Roland SH32
Yamaha SU700
Regret selling
My first TR707, my second SH101, Yamaha CS5

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:33 pm

Holy resurrection batman!

ian
Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Post by ian » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:40 am

More than buying or selling, I most of all regret my drunk neighbor spilling Henessy all over the fully loaded MPC 60 II my best friend had just given me. It was such a drag to tell him. When I moved out of the city, I gave it back to him, he got it serviced and was doing some really cool double MPC stuff. So it worked out in the end.

It's not a big deal but I regret selling the two microbrutes I had last winter, but I had gas money and ate, so that worked out at the time. I know they aren't expensive, and I could get another one without fuss but I have so much on "the list" now, that it won't be for awhile before I get another one and I miss all the cool stuff I ended up doing when I played one. They are fun.

Not a synth but I regret selling the midi guitar I had just found, gotten serviced and started to experiment with. I got $500 for it, pretty sure they go for a lot more now. Again, I was able to eat, so that was good. . The guy that bought it was really sweet, he just wanted a regular guitar to learn on, I tried to explain to him what he was getting and that he could probably get a better regular guitar for the money, but he was so excited he bought it right away. I'm not sure he really understood what midi was no matter how many times I explained it.

My first eBay purchase was an ensoniq X that the guy threw in a box with around 3 Styrofoam peanuts, I have a "feeling" it was already broken before he sent it, he was a sleaze. I'm kinda glad it was my first eBay transaction that I got burnt on, because I have been as careful as one can be with in reason since.

Buying:
I am wrestling with what I think of the Drumbrute right now. I really like the flow and functionality- not crazy about the sounds. Been trying different FX, and getting decent results. I end up using it with a comittee of drum machines, which means I don't feel so stuck with the sounds but if someone wanted to trade me a Mad 5, I would take it in a second.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:45 am

I always regretted selling my ARP2600 to buy an Atari 1040STE and Monitor - I'm happy to have it back in my arsenal now though.

The worst synth I ever bought... The Oberheim (Viscount) OB-12. Even the thought of it makes me shudder.

Doc Tonewheel
Gear: Lots

Post by Doc Tonewheel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:11 am

Yamaha FS1R - despite the poor interface, it is an amazing sounding synth.

Regretted it so much, I just bought a replacement.
Last edited by Doc Tonewheel on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
1975 Hammond A105/122RV, Yamaha N2 AvantGrand, Hohner Clavinet D6, Fender Rhodes, vintage Moog Minimoog Model D, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha CS-60, Nord Wave, Korg Mono/Poly, Yamaha FS1R, Roland A50, Roland TR-8S

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:52 pm

Buying:
- Novation KS4, because it was an exceedingly poor approximation of a Supernova 2. Of all the synths I've had this one best fits the description of low-quality.
- Yamaha SY-55 not because it's bad, only because it was my first synth . Not a particularly good choice to learn synthesis with.

Selling:
- Supernova 2. 8 layers/splits/zones multitimbral with discrete FX processors per part. Truly a super-VA with a 'workstation'-capable structure for on-the-fly real-time multi-part madness. Best UI of any synth under 3 grand perhaps ever. Smooth, plastic bread&butter sound but with cool osc waveshaper, comb filter etc.
Somehow, even though it sports the most dull, anemic-sounding sawtooth wave in the game, it manages to cop a pretty nice Solina impression.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:56 am

megamanx wrote:selling: my microkorg...
getting: Korg R3, thinking about selling it, but I am having second thoughts about it since I can download the microkorg, ms2k, and ms2kb patches...and it was virtually free...

Several years later

Regret selling

oberheim SEM
Akai AX 60
Analogue solutions telemark and Leipzig S

Regret buying

None really, not even the R3, looking back, it is an excellent synth.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:58 am

Hi. My name is Bill. I am a horder. I regret selling everysynth I have sold. They all have a great void in my life. :lol:
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius