Which synthesizer(s) do you regret getting or selling

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Which synthesizer(s) do you regret getting or selling

Postby Syn303 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Not a Synth, but i deeply regret selling a TR-808 i once owned.
Regret buying - Erm too many to mention.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Postby PopHeroes » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:37 am

Regret buying:
Roland SH-201 - sounds terrible
Novation K-Station - barely worked at all, couldn't get it to sound the way I wanted
Roland SP-555 - terrible product, returned it a day later
Pretty much every MIDI controller I've owned especially M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, really cheap feel to the keys and weighs 75 lbs. I also tried to sell it at least twice and no one would buy it.

Regret Selling:
Zoom MRT3b sort of. It's sounds pretty bad, but it's super portable and tiny. I made some pretty cool beat sketches on it.
PopHeroes

Postby wiss » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:45 am

regret selling: Roland TR 808, Pro-One

regret buying: Jupiter 6's, Korg MS-10, Korg Monopoly, Roland SH-1, countless minty synths from ebay that arrived f**k
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby Pro5 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:01 am

Regret buying: None (because even if I don't like them I ALWAYS make a profit on them come resale time)

Regret Selling: None (because I have better synths than the ones I sold - Juno 6 would have been nice to keep but would still prefer a 60, not that bothered now I have a polysix though)
Currently using (rating/10): SH2(9.5), JX-3P(9), Prophet 6(9), JD-800(8.5), Crumar Performer(?)
Recently gone:Polysix(8), Prophet Rev2(6.5), Slim Phatty(7), JD-XA(7.5), Sub 37 (7), Juno 106(6.5), DX7 II-D(6), V-Synth(6.5)
Pro5

Gear: Prophet 6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Postby sonicbleep » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:22 am

regret buying none, you can be creative with any synth.
regret selling my quasimidi sirius, mainly because i loved the way it looked...
sonicbleep

Gear: korg microX, boss DR-202, Red darkstar, korg kaossilator.. lots of soft synths etc....

Postby CapnMarvel » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:41 pm

Regret Buying:

I suppose I've bought several things I didn't need that I later sold, but I do regret buying the MC-09 and the FR Revolution knowing full well that the TB-303 and things that sound sorta like the TB-303 are not what I want or need.

The Korg Radias was just a really overcomplex MS-2000, and I wasn't all that in love with the MS-2000 to begin with.

Regret Selling:
I often wish I still had my Juno-6, and just yesterday I was thinking about my ESQ-1.
Gear List: A bunch that go 'WHHONNGG!', several that go 'tweedle tweedle' and 'thumpity', and a few that don't make any noise at all but have lots of delightful little lights on them.
CapnMarvel

Postby supermel74 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:02 am

Regret Selling: Technosaurus Microcon II. Great for bass, simple to use, super compact, and really well built. #-o

Regret Buying: Nothing really. I like trying out different gear. 8)
supermel74

Postby space6oy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:24 am

heh, my turn to hypocritically bump an old thread... :geek:

was chatting w/ stalfosia earlier today about having done another walk through my music room wondering what else i could part with. dug this up searching for a "regret" thread. at least this one i think's ok to bring back to life...

i don't think i currently have any regrets on gear i've let go, except maybe the CS-15, do miss that one once in a while...

ones i was scared i'd miss but have been ok w/, JX-8P & PG-800, AX-60 & 80.

ones i'm currently thinking, "well, i hardly ever use that..." but am honestly terrified i'd regret letting go... linndrum w/ midi. mono/poly. VC-10. red SH-101. MFC42. h**l, minimoog model D...

think the only one of those i caught regrets about running through this thread was the SH-101. did see some talk about the polysix, bro to the mono/poly... anyone else ever let any of those others go? if so are you kicking yourself for it? or are you AOK w/ what you still have?
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby 19sierra » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:35 am

space6oy wrote:heh, my turn to hypocritically bump an old thread... :geek:

was chatting w/ stalfosia earlier today about having done another walk through my music room wondering what else i could part with. dug this up searching for a "regret" thread. at least this one i think's ok to bring back to life...

i don't think i currently have any regrets on gear i've let go, except maybe the CS-15, do miss that one once in a while...

ones i was scared i'd miss but have been ok w/, JX-8P & PG-800, AX-60 & 80.

ones i'm currently thinking, "well, i hardly ever use that..." but am honestly terrified i'd regret letting go... linndrum w/ midi. mono/poly. VC-10. red SH-101. MFC42. h**l, minimoog model D...

think the only one of those i caught regrets about running through this thread was the SH-101. did see some talk about the polysix, bro to the mono/poly... anyone else ever let any of those others go? if so are you kicking yourself for it? or are you AOK w/ what you still have?

If you ever do decide to sell your VC-10 pm me; I've been looking for awhile for one and I promise it'd go to a good home! :D I have a 101 you might be able to pry away from me too...
"I slid some sliders but like no sound came out, I just want to make Tool or NIN or whatever. That's why I'm selling it to you."
19sierra

Gear: ARP: Quadra, Axxe, Omni II
Akai: AX-60
Roland: Jupiter-6, TR-606, TR-808, SH-101
Yamaha: CS-5, CS-15
Korg: MS2000b, MS-10, MS-20, SQ-10
Band: Part of Our Low.

Postby Phenom » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:51 am

Regret buying-

CS1x and DPM3, promised so much, but didn't get much use out of, lesson learned and now I tend to buy more focused gear now.

Also spent way too much on my maxed out MPC2000xl, when I'm sure the MPC1000 would have suited me much better, liked the pads better on the 1000 as well, not a bad product really, just that there was a better one right around the corner.

Regret selling-

CS01, just so much fun for how much I paid for it, got a great selling on price, but I really missed a little synth to have a play with whenever the moment took me.

Korg M1 was my first synth lust, bought one years later in perfect condition and again sold it on for a really great price, but I'll never find another example of it like that for a decent price, and I still felt that (largely thanks to the FX) it held its own as a monotimbral synth, def not multi tho. Anyway, so I sold my first synth lust, silly boy

Casiotone MT41- my first keyboard, great fun and I really should have held on to it cos it was where I started. Sold it for £12 as I remember- now they make stupid prices cos it was the Sleng Teng riddim keyboard.

RY30- just loved tapping out beats on this thing, but I just thought it was a bit of a closed system really, esp. as I didn't have any ROM cards. Loved that drum machine tho... :(
Phenom

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:06 am

Gee, I never responded to this?

Selling regrets:

whiteface Odyssey

synthesizers.com modular

Buying regrets:

none because I just sold 'em off, breaking even overall
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby space6oy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:19 am

yes you did. :thumbright:

meatballfulton wrote:The two I should have never sold:

space6oy

Postby mharris80 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:41 am

I'm fortunate in that I haven't had to sell a synth yet. However, as far as other gear goes, I most regret selling my Jackson DK2, but hard times call for sacrifices.

As far as buying goes, I'm still kinda on the fence about the JX-8P, especially with the buttons being dodgy as they are. Time will tell, though.
mharris80

Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Postby space6oy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:25 am

dodgy? dude you're from youngstown. w/o nyabinghi what ISN'T dodgy? ;)
space6oy

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:53 am

Aren't they all relatively the same? :lol:
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers