Which synthesizer(s) do you regret getting or selling

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Which synthesizer(s) do you regret getting or selling

Postby sam » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:04 am

Regret...selling my minimoog..A (so called mate) really begged me to sell it to him so i let him have it for a good price. A month later he doubled his money on e-bay.

I don't do mates rates anymore.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.
sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby JSRockit » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Roland SH-101
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Clavier » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:41 pm

sam wrote:Regret...selling my minimoog..A (so called mate) really begged me to sell it to him so i let him have it for a good price. A month later he doubled his money on e-bay.

I don't do mates rates anymore.

Same here. I sold a nice car to a buddy for real cheap and he crashed it when showing off a week later. I think I made it to easy for him to acquire, so he felt like he didn't have to be as careful as he would if it took a lot of time and effort to earn.

I don't really regret buying anything. The things I have sold, I only wish I had sold for more.

The one thing I miss that I did sell was the Korg DW-6000, but I traded it for my P-5 so that's a moot point. :oops:
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45
Clavier

Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Postby Hide » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:32 am

Getting: broken EPS16+Rack at eBay. Seller told me it was OK... I don't think so!
Selling: TS-10 in Japan. I got just $100 for that. That was EXCELLENT condition. So stupid. :p
Hide

Gear: a little many to write down here.
Band: House-eey

Postby nu-tellar » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:39 am

even thougt is no a synth, but any ways i still regret getting my cme vx 8 midi controller. so stuped i could have buy me so many other nice thing with, the money. oh well, no i made sure i take a good thougth to my adquisitions.
nu-tellar

Postby Old Iron Giant » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:56 pm

I'm hearing allot of negative feedback on the ESI4000. I own one in my setup, and absolutely enjoy it. Its modified with a 10GB internal hard-drive, and linked to my PC through SCSI. Downloads any WAV. files flawlessly - whats not to like?

Regret buying:
Alesis ION - The Most Glitched piece of hardware iv ever bought.
I bought it new in 2003, sent it back for a replacement, and still having problems. "out of warranty now"
Main outs are dead, "needs FET's replaced" Pops and cracks in sound, patch selection jumps around.
J111 FET's are hard to come by, and will need to be specially ordered. :roll:

Regret selling:
Roland JP8000
Korg MS2000
Old Iron Giant

Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Postby Zorkmid » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Getting: Roland JX3P - outgrew it was fast and even with the programmer box it was very limited, took a bath on the buy/sell price ratio: I only got $250 for it, but the guy who bought it said his 7 and 9 yr old sons loved it...call this one "bread cast upon the waters" I suppose! ;)

Selling: The 6 vco Polyfusion...darn, darn..a tough to payoff construction loan after a divorce ate that one.

The Quad-2600 in custom walnut case...ach! I built that one from 4 2600's that came in "sick" and got
"rehabilitated" to perfect working order. I only had about $2000 in it, and somebody offered me $6500..
..and I was young and foolish!

So many synths...so little time!
Zorkmid

Gear: synthesizers.com MODULAR
PolyMoog Minimoog Satellite Etherwave sh1000 D50/D550 A80 S330 Space Echo EMU E5Kultra K3R dual MAM-11 vocoders
Band: "BlondeLogic"

Postby pflosi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:24 pm

Zorkmid wrote:The Quad-2600 in custom walnut case...ach! I built that one from 4 2600's that came in "sick" and got
"rehabilitated" to perfect working order. I only had about $2000 in it, and somebody offered me $6500..

So many synths...so little time!

:shock: OMG have you got pics of that?
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby cornutt » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:02 am

Zorkmid wrote: The Quad-2600 in custom walnut case...ach! I built that one from 4 2600's that came in "sick" and got

Dayaaaammmmm.... what would that be worth in today's market? 20K?
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

Postby BritSynths » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:33 pm

Regret buying..

Korg M500-SP - My first synth when I knew nothing about them, very limited
Roland TB-303 - Awful peice of kit, c**p sound and a b***h to program
Roland D-110 - Never could work out how to program the thing

Regret selling..

Roland TB-303 - Still hate it but sold mine when you could pick them up for peanuts before they got well over hyped
Yamaha CS-15 - Loved this but sold it to fund a DW8000
Bit99 - Only sold it as it no longer worked, a very underated polysynth
DW8000,MS2000B,JX3P,PG200,SH-32,JV-1010,MU90R, TX81Z,CZ101,VZ8M, Drumstation,AStation,XR10,RT-232,VirusB,K4R,Proteus 2000:Oscar,PhilipRees CSF,C16,Roland Gaia, Studiologic Sledge,Quasimidi Quasar,NanoSynth,NanoBass,Korg 03/RW, SR-88
BritSynths

Postby cbjlietuva » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:15 am

Regretted Buying....

Roland MC-202
I bought this thing thinking it would be like a keyboard-less SH-101, which is for the most part true. When I got to the stage of pitch bending, portamento and the like though I could not overcome the CPU-controlled beast within. Yes, I know there are kits- but I don't buy a vintage piece of kit to mod it to do something it already does or should do (CV/GATE interface). I should have saved up the money and get a real SH. Period.

A Broken TR-707
I assumed, based on the description that the guy had merely been using the wrong PSU or that the jack had a loose connection, and was wrong. The end.

Oberheim Matrix 6R
Mostly this is due to the condition in which it arrived at my house, but it goes beyond that. See the next item. I eventually got it working again, and if I touched the membrane keys wrong it would go bezerk and completely dump the RAM/? and I would have to reload EVERYTHING, no not do a factory reset, but actually RELOAD because it would be completely BLANK and even unusable. It just wasn't worth it to me.

Akai AX-60
This one came to me well. It worked great, and then in the middle of playing it, it went a bit off center on my stand, so the OCD freak that I can be sometimes moved it and instantly the thing stopped working, then popped back on and stuck on one note. Ended up borrowing someone's patches, in .mp3 recorded form then fed into the tape interface. I think they were Architecture's patches... anyway, I have had two strikes with synths like this, and do not wish a third. after a while some of them (1980s CPU/RAM analogs) are just too unstable to be of use to me. And it wasn't that the presets would go away (and on the Matrix, too), but when this would happen the synth was UNUSABLE in every aspect until i reloaded everything... too much hassle.

Regretted Selling...

without a doubt, my Ensoniq SQ|80
It had a lot of expression this little thing, and while not as analog, fat, or heavy as a CS80, i felt it as close as I could get with my budget- and then I got CS80V, and that opened up a huge plane for me to work on. As a controller, sequencer it was indispensable in my arrangement at the time. On its own it had some decent sound, sound that I made good use of while I had it. It was all sold to get the next piece of gear that I regrettably sold as well.

Roland SVC-350
A broken rack ear, and three missing slider caps was ALL this thing was missing. I loved this vocoder and wish I could get another. It was amazing just to HAVE it. Sadly, I was experimenting and building a Doepfer modular (which I later sold because I never got as much use out of it as I expected), and needed all the available funds I could scrounge.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...Star Wars on Laserdisc
cbjlietuva

Gear: Roland Juno 6 · Rhodes 73 Suitcase · Fender '63 jBass · Fender Strat+ · Casio SK1

Postby Christopher Winkels » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:20 pm

I most regret selling a Moog Source. Great little synth, never gave me any trouble other than a slightly dodgy octave switch, and had The. Best. Hard Sync. Ever. Got a fair price for it at the time, but that was to help purchase a Korg Prophecy, which in retrospect was poo. It aliased badly in the higher registers, the hard sync was rubbish in comparison to the Moog, the acoustic models were useless for synthesizing anything other than flatulence, it had a poor interface (other than the performance controls, which were pretty good), and for some reason Korg decided to implement a musically useless portamento that used absolute time rather than absolute rate. Nothing worse than having a two octave glide take just as long as a semitone.

But that wasn't the worst.

I most regret buying a Roland Fantom Xa. I've always hated romplers, so I don't know what came over me that caused me to purchase one. Probably down to the fact that I'd sold off all my gear a few years before and I was looking to jump in with a synth that would cover a lot of programming/sequencing/sampling bases. Nice idea, but it really was a boring sounding synth with a disappointingly poor programming time-to-joy ratio. The interface always inspired a fit of ADD when I sat down to it, it also aliased badly (something I thought would've been solved in 25 years of techical advancement since the first widely commecial available digital synths...alas no), was studded with useless gimmicks like the D-beam, had marginal effects, and did about as much to inspire me as a case of valium. Jack of all trades, master of none, it put the "work" in "workstation". I took my biggest financial bath on that one too.

There's a reason I don't buy digital synths anymore.
Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby 19sierra » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:12 pm

My first synth- too young and stupid/excited. Ended up getting a Roland Fantom. With a broken disk drive that the sales rep didn't tell me about. Didn't get rid of it soon enough.

last year I had the following conversation in my head: "Oh well that's a decent price for a Moog Opus 3. Pretty cool I guess. Needs a little bit of TLC? no problem! it'll give me something to do on a rainy day!" after getting slapped in the face with shipping (basically across North America) and tearing open the box, the phrase "pictures don't do it justice" still traumatizes me. Exterior was bashed up badly, but inside I've never seen such corrosion and decay. Not to mention all that foam which had turned into that goopy tar paste over the years of rotting. I ended up getting 100 bucks for the keys at Backline in Vancouver and I was still out a couple hundred.

That sucked.
"I slid some sliders but like no sound came out, I just want to make Tool or NIN or whatever. That's why I'm selling it to you."
19sierra

Gear: ARP: Quadra, Axxe, Omni II
Akai: AX-60
Roland: Jupiter-6, TR-606, TR-808, SH-101
Yamaha: CS-5, CS-15
Korg: MS2000b, MS-10, MS-20, SQ-10
Band: Part of Our Low.

Postby R.L » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:21 am

19sierra wrote:My first synth- too young and stupid/excited. Ended up getting a Roland Fantom. With a broken disk drive that the sales rep didn't tell me about. Didn't get rid of it soon enough.

last year I had the following conversation in my head: "Oh well that's a decent price for a Moog Opus 3. Pretty cool I guess. Needs a little bit of TLC? no problem! it'll give me something to do on a rainy day!" after getting slapped in the face with shipping (basically across North America) and tearing open the box, the phrase "pictures don't do it justice" still traumatizes me. Exterior was bashed up badly, but inside I've never seen such corrosion and decay. Not to mention all that foam which had turned into that goopy tar paste over the years of rotting. I ended up getting 100 bucks for the keys at Backline in Vancouver and I was still out a couple hundred.

That sucked.

AH the classic screwed on ebay, that really does suck, and that is just the reason I stopped doing ebay I had several duds in the past, (Casio CZ-3000, looked nice in the pics got it was toast, would have to spend more fixing it then it was worth) and the more recent one was when I bought some sliders for my micromixer I use live and they came in all off center and broken looking Stupid made in china c**p :D
Moog MiniMoog, Yamaha CP-30, Yamaha DX-7, Ensoniq ASR-10, Ensoniq ASR-X, Rhodes MRK 3, Looking for a Roland Super Jupiter, and JP-8000
R.L

Gear: lots of stuff
Band: The Roy McCoy Band/ Man Vs Sam

Postby killedaway » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:50 pm

regret buying:

Roland D2. it's like a bouncy ball encased in a 4-foot cube of concrete: you will never have fun with this.

Roland Fantom-S. wonderful workstation, just not at all my thing. my second-to-last attempt at an all-hardware studio. it's still lying around in beautiful shape if anyone's down for a trade...?

regret selling:

MS2k. i just hadn't found a use for it in my studio yet, and now that i want it back, i'm unwilling to pay what it takes to get another. owning a microKORG gives me one more reason not to rebuy the MS2k even though i want one again.

Virus C. bought this before i knew much of anything about "subtractive" synthesis and just couldn't get my brain around it. i'd love to have it back, but like the MS2k, i won't pay to get it back at current prices. always waiting for one to just "fall in my lap", so to speak. someday...

Ion. somedays i miss it, somedays i'm glad it's gone. when the price is right, i will definitely replace it with a Micron.
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers