Which synthesizer(s) do you regret getting or selling

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: Which synthesizer(s) do you regret getting or selling

Post by nathanscribe » Fri May 29, 2009 10:20 am

I don't regret buying or selling anything, because there's always been some interest or value in obtaining gear, and I always think about sales for a while before doing it.

If I occasionally miss anything, count the Roland MC-202, Casio RZ-1 and Yamaha CS-5. The 202 got almost zero use, but was fun when it did; the RZ-1 was my first digital drum machine and I always liked the roughness of it - sampled it before it went, but you can't beat a bit of semi-metallic plastic; the CS-5 went because I'd got a 15 and 40m, and the 5 was functionally surplus... great fun to use though, and simplicity itself.

I sold two Akai samplers so I'm now 'down' to the Mirage and W-30. No regrets there. Same with the Microkorg - bought it for the vocoder, never gelled with the synth, traded it for a crazy 70s preset mono (Teisco S-100P) and never looked back. I will have a vocoder again some time though, I feel semi-naked without one.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:06 pm

selling: Octave Cat, SH-09, 777. All were dear to me but money is money :(

buying: Korg prophecy - not because it's a bad synth per se, just a horrible 1st Synth. Impossible to program quickly and effectively w/o the PC editor that costs $150(Progenie)
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri May 29, 2009 5:39 pm

Buying: many
Selling: none
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 29, 2009 5:40 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:Image
;)

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:53 pm

Regret getting: Kawai K1, it was cheap but I never found much use for it. Korg Prophecy, I found it a real pain to program

Regret selling: none

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Sat May 30, 2009 2:28 am

getting: none
selling: Kurzwiel 1200
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

screamaloud

Post by screamaloud » Sat May 30, 2009 2:34 am

The Yamaha DX7 is so hard to programme, i am so glad it's for sale

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sat May 30, 2009 4:03 am

Wasted money on:

* Yamaha CX5M. It never did 10% of what it could have done, because Yamaha wouldn't tell anyone how to access the interfaces. It wound up being a glorified, and very expensive, TX81Z.

* Ibanez DUE-400 effects unit. One-trick pony; everything that went into it came out sounding the same. Impossible to reproduce settings due to tiny, grainy sliders. Zero headroom; clipped if you looked at it the wrong way.

* NI Absynth. It's actually a great program. But a year after I bought it, NI changed their license registration system and made it impossible to re-register or recover licenses for copies that used the older license key format. So when my Power 120 died shortly after that, my Absynth license died with it.

Regret selling: Nothing; I haven't really sold that much. Mostly guitar stomp boxes that I used to use with my synths. They served a purpose at the time, but I got tired of having to deal with their limitations.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sat May 30, 2009 4:28 am

i regret getting Poly800 as my first synth. well. it was a gift from my dad but still.. they were actually consdering Juno106, but decided it was looking too big/fragile, and poly was "more compact". ahh well, ive forgiven them in time. anyway, i loved my poly800 in the end..

not much else. K5000W was much less then it promised. the rompler secion was c**p. the additive part, okay.. but.. in practice i just didnt use it much next to my other machines. luckily i sold it, very well i might say.

i truly regret riding of Trident mk1. it was oozing warmth. and the whole package with synth section dion PWM, strings and a phenomenal FLANGER, it was just unique, even comperd to the best of vintage polys it was unique.

i sorta regret my MKS80 and MPG80. it was so easy to make sounds on that machine. lovely, unique colour different from other Rolands i use, like jp8 or mks70. but in the ned of the day, it didnt get much used to warrant keeping arround, and i needed the money. but today, id still have it arround if i could. made some lovely sounds.

i regret not being able to keep my CS-80. no further explanation necesarry. but, otoh i am happy too as selling it allowed me to take care of some much more important issues in my life att. i'll never buy it again. its way out of reach.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sat May 30, 2009 5:09 pm

clusterchord wrote:i regret getting Poly800 as my first synth. well. it was a gift from my dad but still.. they were actually consdering Juno106, but decided it was looking too big/fragile, and poly was "more compact". ahh well, ive forgiven them in time. anyway, i loved my poly800 in the end..
Oh man. That was the exact choice I faced when I was buying my first synth -- it was down the the 800 and the 106. I eventually decided I couldn't live with that filter on the 800, plus patching was so much faster on the 106. A few years ago I came across an 800 in a pawn shop, considered buying it since it was cheap, but after playing it for a few minutes, I was reminded of all the reasons why I didn't buy one in the first place.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Sat May 30, 2009 7:16 pm

Don't have any regrets in regards to buying. Even if it didn't work out the experience of trying something new made it worthwhile. I found out more about myself and music from the synths that didn't make the cut than those that did.
Selling: A few. The Jupiter 8 springs to mind. I've had one big sell off over the years....right after a divorce. That haunted me for quite a while but the one thing I learned was that everything comes around again, you just have to be willing to pull the trigger on it when it does. 8)
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sun May 31, 2009 1:40 am

cornutt wrote:
clusterchord wrote:i regret getting Poly800 as my first synth. well. it was a gift from my dad but still.. they were actually consdering Juno106, but decided it was looking too big/fragile, and poly was "more compact". ahh well, ive forgiven them in time. anyway, i loved my poly800 in the end..
Oh man. That was the exact choice I faced when I was buying my first synth -- it was down the the 800 and the 106. I eventually decided I couldn't live with that filter on the 800, plus patching was so much faster on the 106. A few years ago I came across an 800 in a pawn shop, considered buying it since it was cheap, but after playing it for a few minutes, I was reminded of all the reasons why I didn't buy one in the first place.
Hah, same here. My parents were able to get a better deal on the poly-800 so that was my first synth instead of the Juno-106. Either way, I was just happy to have a "real" synth!

Jinsai
Gear: Alesis Ion
JX-3P w/Kiwitechnics
Nord Lead 2
Poly Evolver Keyboard
Prophet 12
Tempest
Assorted basses, guitars, software
Band: Sid Luscious and The Pants

Post by Jinsai » Sun May 31, 2009 2:06 am

Getting: Yamaha DX-7. My first serious synth. Bought used. I didn't know much about synths at the time, just that it was on a lot of records I liked. Hated the sounds, hated the programming. Probably the absolute worst synth I could have bought in 1985.

Not Getting: Chroma Polaris and Jupiter-6. I had a friend who offered to sell me one or both. At the time I didn't think I had the space or the cash.
--
"A musician is someone who's heard a lot of music" - Pierre Boulez

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Sun May 31, 2009 2:47 am

regret buying: korg dw-8000
regret selling: everything... cause i sold almost everything i had... but probably the waldorf microwave 2 most

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sun May 31, 2009 6:19 am

I just sold my Korg MicroX. Has great programs in it, but I'm happy to move one so the initial regret will fade. My MEK is going, but the PEK kicks any regret. Funny thing is that I almost want to keep the MEK because I like the size and ease of the board. It's a pleasure to play.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse