Daniel Miller / Alan Wilder interviewed by me

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
darkbill
Gear: EmuII Emax1 Juno106 SY85DX100DX11KX5 ClaviaNordLead ESQ1EPS16+ CZ3000FZ1 DPM3se S5000 K2000r DDD1 SDS1000M Octapad CS80v Waldorf PPG Korg LegacyMS-20

Daniel Miller / Alan Wilder interviewed by me

Post by darkbill » Thu May 28, 2009 9:26 pm

In the murky past I wrote occasionally for Sound On Sound magazine in the UK. A friend uncovered these via the wonders of Google, and sent me the links and I thought they might be of interest to any Depeche / Mute fans out there.

Especially as they were both done around the time Alan left Depeche and they had just recorded Ultra.

I have to say that of all the interviews I did these were two of my favourites. Both absolutely lovely genuine guys, with no ego on display at all.

And the gear lists are pure synth p**n! Hope you enjoy...
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec98/a ... el.624.htm

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan98/a ... wilder.htm
He Who Dies With The Most Toys, Still Dies...

darkbill
Gear: EmuII Emax1 Juno106 SY85DX100DX11KX5 ClaviaNordLead ESQ1EPS16+ CZ3000FZ1 DPM3se S5000 K2000r DDD1 SDS1000M Octapad CS80v Waldorf PPG Korg LegacyMS-20

Re: Daniel Miller / Alan Wilder interviewed by me

Post by darkbill » Thu May 28, 2009 9:34 pm

The Alan Wilder interview also appears here:

http://www.sacreddm.net/1990s/sos010198 ... 98main.htm

I'm not sure if it differs from the original as I couldn't be arsed clicking all those pages, but it also seems to hold a few other tech-orientated Depeche interviews you might like.

If you click this link you see the interview with pics of Alan's studio. Christ, this makes me feel old...

http://www.sacreddm.net/1990s/sos010198/page3.htm

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu May 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Cheers for the links. I can't believe it's 11 years since Unsound Methods... mind you, I can't believe it's nearly 20 since Violator. Now I feel old. I started buying synths not long after I got that album.

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Thu May 28, 2009 11:37 pm

Yeah, thanks for those, will give them a good read tomorrow when I'm less knackered. :)

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Thu May 28, 2009 11:43 pm

I remember reading the Daniel Miller one many years ago... And have read it several times since. I've not read the Alan Wilder one before though.

Cheers for that!

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:50 am

Thanks for sharing, DB!

And 20 years since Violator? Sheesh! I don't wanna know how long it's been since the last thing I bought from them ... I can't recall the title, but it had the tan cover ... ugh ... I'd best get to the record store and remedy that, no? :)

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Fri May 29, 2009 1:59 am

Nice job on the interview.

I put out feelers a couple of weeks ago to someone who I know had dealings in the last few years with Alan Pearlman. I really, really, really want to do an interview with him. It's been over 25 years since he's talked about his time in the industry and I really feel he's due for a follow up. When first hand memory is gone, it's gone.

Unfortunately I never had a reply back from the go-between. Ah well.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Fri May 29, 2009 3:13 am

I could be mistaken, but I thought Alan died not that long ago? I could be wrong and hope I am...

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri May 29, 2009 5:26 am

alan is very much alive and well
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

mute

Post by mute » Fri May 29, 2009 7:30 am

ive got that sound on sound issue with daniel miller and a later one from a couple years ago :) daniel = teh man.

darkbill

Post by darkbill » Fri May 29, 2009 10:35 am

He also sent me links to interviews with Martyn Ware and Pascal Gabriel if anyone wants to see them?

I was lucky enough to meet a few electro-heroes during that time - including Richard H Kirk, Andy McCluskey, Ron Mael, Erasure, DAF - but the interviews weren't all for Sound on Sound so unless I can find the original mags I'm not sure where they eventually appeared. If I find them I should scan them before I lose them forever.

I've still got the unabridged tapes of these interviews but I couldn't bear to sit and listen to myself gibbering away like a retard. As always some of the best stuff never makes it into the final interview.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Fri May 29, 2009 11:13 am

Joey wrote:alan is very much alive and well
I should hope so. Otherwise I'd look like a damned fool. :oops:
If anyone else has a contact with Alan, I'd love for you to drop me a line.

Back on topic: Please post the Martyn Ware stuff (and the Richard Kirk material if you can locate that too). Those two guys influenced so much of what I listened to as a teenager.

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Fri May 29, 2009 11:29 am

What were DAF like? I absolutely loved their stuff!

-matia

darkbill

Post by darkbill » Fri May 29, 2009 12:59 pm

matia wrote:What were DAF like? I absolutely loved their stuff!

-matia
The interview was ages ago so without going back to the tapes I'm strugging to remember. It with Gabriel and Robert - both really interesting guys. I have to admit I barely knew their stuff when I met them, but their record company sent me their entire backcatalogue (which was nice!) and I could see their influence on all those subsequent electro duos - PSB's etc. I remeber I was really interested in what it had been like workng with Conny Plank who obviously had such a big influence on electronic music production.

I'll try and find the finished interview and post it up at some point.

darkbill

Post by darkbill » Fri May 29, 2009 1:15 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:
Joey wrote:alan is very much alive and well
I should hope so. Otherwise I'd look like a damned fool. :oops:
If anyone else has a contact with Alan, I'd love for you to drop me a line.

Back on topic: Please post the Martyn Ware stuff (and the Richard Kirk material if you can locate that too). Those two guys influenced so much of what I listened to as a teenager.
Here is the Martyn Ware piece:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr00/a ... ynware.htm

Richard Kirk was living in Australia at the time - he still might be - but was over to promote some Cabaret Voltaire re-issues. He wasn't at all what I was expecting - I thought he might be a bit more intense - but he was very chilled. We did the interview in a little cafe in Islington High Street and we must have been there for hours. I think I filled about a tape and a half.

For some reason these guys seemed willing to talk for hours. The Alan Wilder interview went on so long, he put me up for the night. My first and only time in a rock star mansion. Considering Depeche were still at their peak of the success round about then he had remained really down to earth. I remember him showing me this DAT player in his living room and explaining that he could feed it all round the house. Then he sort of paused and looked at me and said, "I'm not showing off, you know that don't you."

He genuinely didn't want people to think he was some sort of flash tosspot.

And his wife Hep was a riot. I could have written a whole article about her alone.