The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Post by Z » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:18 am

Got my patch panel SEM yesterday (ordered Oct. 13). Haven't had a chance to dive too deep into it, but so far ME LIKEY. It's been a while since I've messed with my TVS-1, I love how you can tweak the filter halfway between low-pass and notch and get a little bit of that "high pass sizzle" while still keeping the "umph" of the low pass.

I thought about emailing Tom directly just before the holiday break to see if I could find out when the next batch would be delivered to AudioMIDI, but I figured the fewer emails he has to answer, the more time he has to spend building and such.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:21 am

Good news. I guess being that this is a boutique synth, 2 months isn't too too bad for waiting for such a fine synth. Would love to try one of these myself. Have anything to patch it with? I was thinking of integrating into my modular system.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:20 am

yes Z I keep going for that sweet spot in between lowpass and notch awe yeah.

I'm going to build a really small simple eurorack modular to accent my new SEM which will include a bunch of filters like a PlanB, Synthacon, Moog etc. as well as a s/h noise and some other goodies the SEM lacks. It's the perfect building block synth for a modular setup and yep it sounds great!

Go order one everybody!
for sale/trade: EML-101

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:30 am

Z wrote:I thought about emailing Tom directly just before the holiday break to see if I could find out when the next batch would be delivered to AudioMIDI, but I figured the fewer emails he has to answer, the more time he has to spend building and such.
Yeah, same here. Feel a bit guilty each time I press 'send'. But Tom replies super quick with short precise info. Even so I'll try & leave the guy alone now. Patience is a virtue & if it takes another 2 months to get it at least it gives me a bit of time to actually save up for this thing instead of just relying on the plastic ;)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:04 pm

Z wrote:Got my patch panel SEM yesterday (ordered Oct. 13). Haven't had a chance to dive too deep into it, but so far ME LIKEY. It's been a while since I've messed with my TVS-1, I love how you can tweak the filter halfway between low-pass and notch and get a little bit of that "high pass sizzle" while still keeping the "umph" of the low pass.
yeah, ditto...I really think that's the SEM's selling point... those hi/low filter combos sound great and unique.
Do you even post on vse bro?

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:35 pm

Dogboy73 wrote:Sent another email to Tom to see if there's any news on the SEM MIDI>CV version. He replied saying the software still needs to be sorted. Shouldn't keep emailing him really but I'm anxioua for news :)
man... just my opinion, but I'd just get the patch panel version and get a Kenton. i'm guessing he probably outsourced the software, but MIDI->CV isn't trivial. if the first version is buggy you are just going to be more upset. with this approach you can just have the SEM now and get a rock-solid, reliable midi->cv box.

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:52 pm

I'm thinking of doing the same thing as Nadafarms with my SEM. Although I can use a number of items I have to CV up my SEM, which now includes: Korg MS20, MS50 and 2 SQ10's, FR XS, various Moogerfoogers plus MP201 and Cp251, I still think maybe some livewire modules would be cool, especially that Cyclotron. Jaime

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:01 am

StepLogik wrote:
Dogboy73 wrote:Sent another email to Tom to see if there's any news on the SEM MIDI>CV version. He replied saying the software still needs to be sorted. Shouldn't keep emailing him really but I'm anxioua for news :)
man... just my opinion, but I'd just get the patch panel version and get a Kenton. i'm guessing he probably outsourced the software, but MIDI->CV isn't trivial. if the first version is buggy you are just going to be more upset. with this approach you can just have the SEM now and get a rock-solid, reliable midi->cv box.
£800 for another analogue synth with buggy built in MIDI>CV? (the MIDI>CV in my Neptune2 isn't that great). That would suck big hairy ones! But I'm quietly confident that Tom wouldn't release the MIDI>CV version unless things are sorted. I don't mind waiting for it to be ready. There's no rush. But to be honest I think it would have been cool if Tom had decided to do the patch version but with basic MIDI>CV in the same unit. Analogue Solutions done this with the Telemark, which is based on the SEM. I was going to go for this synth but I don't think it sounds as good as the SEM & At the end of the day it's all about the sound ;)

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:50 am

.... just got this email from AudioMIDI regarding my enquiry a week or so ago about the MIDI>CV SEM;
Hi,

This is Mitch from audioMIDI- I'm actively involved with the SEM project and I speak with Tom on a regular basis. Sorry for the delays- it's certainly taken longer to get the MIDI version than we (or Tom) expected. I'm afraid I don't have an exact date, but the MIDI version is definitely coming soon- it has NOT been put aside. I talked to Tom a couple days ago and he is sending me one in a couple of days to test (I believe the circuit boards are already made). He just wants to be sure that there are no bugs in the software.

Again, sorry for the delays and sorry I can't offer a date, but it should be pretty soon now. I will have a look at the page and try and update it to something that reads a little more realistically.

Thanks,

Mitchell Sigman
Marketing/Promotions

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:33 am

Looks like Tom found a distributor in europe.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:35 am

that is great. was about time that schneider joined in the new sem stuff

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 am

otto wrote:Looks like Tom found a distributor in europe.
Did he?! Where did you hear this?

CJ the noisemaker
Gear: Novation X Station 49
Korg Poly 61M
Band: Hokago Family Band

Post by CJ the noisemaker » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:19 am

Can this new SEM be put into those TVS, FVS, EVS synth cases? might want to snag a few.
Being that you can do so many things with it [the synthesizer]... you can make sounds bigger than life.
-Stevie Wonder

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:52 pm

Dogboy73 wrote:
otto wrote:Looks like Tom found a distributor in europe.
Did he?! Where did you hear this?
I saw it on the blog run by SCHNEIDERSBUERO.

http://www.stromkult.com/?p=515
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:23 pm