The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Post by Z » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:30 pm

Solderman, hit me up when you're back in Dallas and I'll bring mine to work. We can A/B it to my TVS-1.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:41 am

I certainly would still totally recommend the new SEM 100%

I just think that since a lot of people are curious about this since it's the first 100% recreation of a synth, that I would give my 2 cents. for $899 you're insane if you're not ordering one right now.

I just wanted to give my opinion, I would think some people might disagree with me and the new SEM is way more vintage and warm sounding than any new VCO synth I've heard.

More warm/fat or equal to the vintagey sounding Macbeth M5.

Must say that FM on the filter of the new SEM with the resonance set 100% is dope! Just something not quite the same with the new one...
for sale/trade: EML-101

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:01 pm

A question for Nadafarm: Does the new SEM sounds a bit like this?

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:22 pm

well yes... more than a bit I would say. I'm saying 90% the same as the original.
for sale/trade: EML-101

Scories

Post by Scories » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:09 pm

Well, that souns just like a synth that could be used on a Boards of Canada or an old Tangerine Dream record!

However, I'm a bit perplex; I think that earlier in this thread you mentionned that the SEM is probably the most genuinly warm vintage-sounding new piece of gear you had the chance to hear. Obviously, the analog component were still available for any other synth builder around. So what makes the difference between the SEM and other real analog gear like the A6 or a Doepfer while they must use the same components?

At some point, I thought about getting a PAiA Fatman for that kind of warm grit.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:08 pm

Is that a two-voice with a sequencer?

Scories

Post by Scories » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:09 pm

I think so.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:28 pm

I haven't had either so I can't comment from experience. There was an extensive thread on GS about SMD components. It was unrelated to synths. They were actually talking about preamps and such. The gist was that the tolerances and such on SMD components were different than through components, there is some sacrifice to shrinking components and that many SMD components aren't audio quality.

I know this is a topic of much debate and anger and I am just sharing what I read. This might be why newer gear sounds distinctly different.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:41 pm

otto wrote:I haven't had either so I can't comment from experience. There was an extensive thread on GS about SMD components. It was unrelated to synths.
...and also on the AH list. Though I think a lot of this is academic, I accept that there will be inherent differences, BUT I think this is as close as anyone's gotten for a specific clone of any instrument. (Macbeth and a few others are going the old parts route, but not exactly copying designs part for part). For the average synthesist (most of whom have never played an original SEM), I think this is sufficiently close. I'm not complaining, nor finding myself so deprived of that last crucial 5-10% of closeness that I find I now must seek out the original.

But hey, old SEM prices are as high or higher than they ever were, so maybe I'm wrong :roll:
Do you even post on vse bro?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:53 pm

Yeah, just commenting.

A new SEM is on my list of “want to try that”. I vacillate between using the SEM as the basis of a modular system or not. My irritation are:
- That it is stand-alone and not really a modular component. I’ve thought about buying the drop in and making a patch panel to put it into a modular system but that will probably look ugly…
- I have to wait. Who it Tom Oberheim to keep me waiting? I demand to know!

(such are the deep personal crisis of the middle class).

I’m curious if those of you who are getting excited about the possibility of a new 4 voice have considered what it might cost. Of course this is a WAG but I’d bet I’m not far off:

$600x4=$2400 (four voice modules)
$500x2=$1000 (estimate on prices for 1 Sequencer and 1 mixer module)
$600x1=$600 (estimate for 4 voice case with power supply, keyboard etc. I bet this might be conservative too…)
FVS= $4000

I suppose something like a 4voice rack with mixer and power supply built in might be more like $3000. Still, not going to be cheap for a fairly basic poly.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Scories

Post by Scories » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:01 pm

I think it would be more interesting as a simple warm MIDI monosynth for multitracking and running through complex effects.

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Actually, I'm in the process of making an "auxiliary" Euro modular to interface and expand not only my new patch panel SEM, but also my FR XS, Moog LP, Korg MS-20 and Monopoly. Instead of me trying to find emulative Oberheim SEM, Moog, and Korg MS filters in the euro format, I'll actually be using the real thing. It's kind of having a larger Modular system just broken down to smaller units that can in one way or another interface and expand one another. The Euro modular will be the constant between them all...kind of the "glue" so to speak. Anyway, that is what I am ending up and doing. Jaime

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:46 am

Scories wrote:A question for Nadafarm: Does the new SEM sounds a bit like this?

nadafarms wrote:well yes... more than a bit I would say. I'm saying 90% the same as the original.
That's good to hear because I absolutely love the sounds in that video. Watching that helped me make my decission to buy the new SEM ...... on the basis that the new was supposed to be exactly the same as the old. The audio from the 2-voice in that vid is going through a nice Space Station effect. But the synth sounds are spot on. I love the sound at about 1:00min. Awesome ;)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:41 am

jcn7 wrote:Actually, I'm in the process of making an "auxiliary" Euro modular to interface and expand not only my new patch panel SEM, but also my FR XS, Moog LP, Korg MS-20 and Monopoly. Instead of me trying to find emulative Oberheim SEM, Moog, and Korg MS filters in the euro format, I'll actually be using the real thing. It's kind of having a larger Modular system just broken down to smaller units that can in one way or another interface and expand one another. The Euro modular will be the constant between them all...kind of the "glue" so to speak. Anyway, that is what I am ending up and doing. Jaime
yeah, I'm doing a very similar thing (SEM, XS and CP-251 with some Blacet stuff... will truly be a franken-modular!) I had been very on the fence about selling the XS, but within a larger setup, I can see all the different uses coming out. This is perhaps, a negative aspect of the patched SEM, you still need a whole host of other things (or at least a CP-251 or similar) to make full use of the patch points.
Do you even post on vse bro?

VCOrhubarb

Post by VCOrhubarb » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:39 am

For me, the new SEM wins in the category of:

-the best sounding oscillator sync
-the best sounding filter
-the best looking synthesizer module

Now, is there any hope that it will ever be sold in a UK shop? I'm reluctant to ship because I cannot be 100% sure of the custom tax and quietly hope that audioMIDI.com's exclusive rights to sell the SEM are only an initial and temporary advantage over the other distributors and it will expire after some time.