The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Duncanperson
Gear: Korg R3, DSI Evolver, SammichSID, Oto Machines Biscuit, Korg Kaoss Pad, Akai MPD32, MacbookPro

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Post by Duncanperson » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:53 am

VCOrhubarb wrote: Now, is there any hope that it will ever be sold in a UK shop? I'm reluctant to ship because I cannot be 100% sure of the custom tax and quietly hope that audioMIDI.com's exclusive rights to sell the SEM are only an initial and temporary advantage over the other distributors and it will expire after some time.
Not sure about The UK but Awave audio in Australia is selling them (at a very reasnably price considering shipping from the US and such) so Im not sure how they got them - because at the price they're selling them it seems unlikely they bought a whole lot from Audiomidi as they wouldn't be making much profit - or if other distributors are actually selling them now.
Computers are like airconditioners, they work until you open windows.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:05 am

Sir Ruff wrote:I had been very on the fence about selling the XS, but within a larger setup, I can see all the different uses coming out. This is perhaps, a negative aspect of the patched SEM, you still need a whole host of other things (or at least a CP-251 or similar) to make full use of the patch points.
This is what put me off the patch version. Apart from the Neptune2 I don't currently have any other CV equipment. So I would need to use that just to trigger it or get a Kenton converter. The MIDI>CV conversion on the Neptune2 is not the best so wouldn't be the best way to trigger the SEM patch version. I didn't want the extra expense of the Kenton either so I went for the MIDI>CV SEM.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:19 am

VCOrhubarb wrote:Now, is there any hope that it will ever be sold in a UK shop? I'm reluctant to ship because I cannot be 100% sure of the custom tax and quietly hope that audioMIDI.com's exclusive rights to sell the SEM are only an initial and temporary advantage over the other distributors and it will expire after some time.
There are some places in Europe selling it apparently & someone else just posted about a distributor in Australia so I guess a UK distributor could be possible. However I just ordered my from AudioMIDI. Using Duty Calculator I worked out I should expect to pay about an extra £125, on top of the US price for the unit & shipping, for import duty/VAT.

www.dutycalculator.com

VCOrhubarb

Post by VCOrhubarb » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Could you post how much extra it actually cost when you get your unit, please? I may end up ordering mine from the US too.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:43 pm

VCOrhubarb wrote:Could you post how much extra it actually cost when you get your unit, please? I may end up ordering mine from the US too.
Will do. In the mean time here are the figures according to duty calculator;

http://www.dutycalculator.com/calculati ... ils/45228/

hogberto

Post by hogberto » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:21 pm

schneiders buro are selling the SEM now:

http://www.schneidersladen.de/english.html

still not UK, but at least Germany's a bit closer to home than California. :?
Analogue Systems RS8500 | Andromeda A6 | Moog Voyager Old School | Korg Radias KB | MEK | DSI Tetr4 | Tom Oberheim SEM | Waldorf Blofeld module | Virus C | A Sol Leipzig-S | XV-5080 | V-Synth XT | Mopho KB

VCOrhubarb

Post by VCOrhubarb » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks, it looks rather optimistic. I'll go for the MIDI version.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:59 pm

VCOrhubarb wrote:
Thanks, it looks rather optimistic. I'll go for the MIDI version.
The figures are worked out from current rates so I guess based on that it should be accurate enough. I keep meaning to check with Customs & Excise for their take on it. If they quote the same figures for VAT & import duty then I should expect to pay pretty much exactly what DutyCalculator works out. With that amount (around £127) + $960 for the SEM & shipping it works out around £725 all in.

Rangoon

Post by Rangoon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:04 am

otto wrote: I’m curious if those of you who are getting excited about the possibility of a new 4 voice have considered what it might cost. Of course this is a WAG but I’d bet I’m not far off:

$600x4=$2400 (four voice modules)
$500x2=$1000 (estimate on prices for 1 Sequencer and 1 mixer module)
$600x1=$600 (estimate for 4 voice case with power supply, keyboard etc. I bet this might be conservative too…)
FVS= $4000

I suppose something like a 4voice rack with mixer and power supply built in might be more like $3000. Still, not going to be cheap for a fairly basic poly.
All of that for a non-programmable four-voice? Even worse, you have to program each voice separately. Long live the original Oberheim OBX...

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:15 pm

VCOrhubarb wrote:
Thanks, it looks rather optimistic.
Worry ye not. I phoned Customs & Excise today to see what they had to say about it. Once I'd obtained a Commodity code (The code for synthesizers is 9207105000) I was able to then find out what the duty would be. It turned out to be exactly the same as what duty calculator reported at 3.2% with VAT obviously the same at the current 17.5%. So, the Duty calculator figure of around £125 for import duty & VAT should be exactly right ;)

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... e&x=11&y=5

VCOrhubarb

Post by VCOrhubarb » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:14 pm

Good news, cheers.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:37 pm

VCOrhubarb wrote:Good news, cheers.
No worries ;)

More good news ....... Tom oberheim has updated his website with more details of the MIDI>CV panel version;

http://tomoberheim.com/

There's no 'shipping late Jan early Feb' details on the description now. I'm hoping this means it's ready to go :mrgreen: There are also details of non US distributors in Europe, Japan & Australia.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:23 pm

This just in from Mr Oberheim in response to my email about the website update;
Not done, but I am very close. The software is 98% done but I am having a bit of a problem with one of the rather obsure features.

All the new metal work is in as well as the circuit boards, and the first production run is in process. Soon....

... that is, if I can tear myself away from building patchpanel units - the demand has been much greater than I expected.

tom o.

projectwoofer
Band: Woofer

Post by projectwoofer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:44 pm

Dogboy73 wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:I had been very on the fence about selling the XS, but within a larger setup, I can see all the different uses coming out. This is perhaps, a negative aspect of the patched SEM, you still need a whole host of other things (or at least a CP-251 or similar) to make full use of the patch points.
This is what put me off the patch version. Apart from the Neptune2 I don't currently have any other CV equipment. So I would need to use that just to trigger it or get a Kenton converter. The MIDI>CV conversion on the Neptune2 is not the best so wouldn't be the best way to trigger the SEM patch version. I didn't want the extra expense of the Kenton either so I went for the MIDI>CV SEM.
I'd be extremely interested to a Neptune II vs SEM shootout as soon as you get yours... :D
I still haven't decided which one I'm getting next year...tough choice I guess!
http://www.myspace.com/woofergr
http://www.jumpingfish.gr/Woofer

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:46 am

projectwoofer wrote:
Dogboy73 wrote:
I'd be extremely interested to a Neptune II vs SEM shootout as soon as you get yours... :D
I still haven't decided which one I'm getting next year...tough choice I guess!
The Neptune 2 is about half the price of the SEM so I gues that could count towards your decission. I think the Neptune 2 is a great value for what you get, espacially compared to the SEM. I'm expecting the sound to be a bit smoother, warmer & generally nicer than the Neptune 2. We'll see. I suppose as long as it's sufficiently different from the Neptune 2 then it will be worthwhile. One of the first things I'll do when I get it is make some vids for YouTube. Maybe an SEM V's Neptune 2 vid could be on the caards? :)