The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the true north strong and free(zing).

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Post by 3rdConstruction » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:13 am

projectwoofer wrote:this thread is full of clever people with good sense of humor...
hey! wuzzat sarcasm?!? damn! i can't tell! aah, i'm going back to wallow in atonal squelchiness. crank that filter! ooo-WEEE-OOO-blip-fzzzzz-zt-WOOOP-WOOOP-WOOOP
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:04 am

There was some really nice stuff on the 10+ minute one.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:40 am

nvbrkr wrote:There was some really nice stuff on the 10+ minute one.
Indeed. Good to see/hear more of the SEM.

cerebrosis

Post by cerebrosis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:54 pm

Sir Ruff wrote: Image
from your photo it appears that if the mini sequencer is reissued you could rack it with the PP SEM.
:)

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:24 pm

Z wrote:Here's some more knob twiddling, "non-music" for you:
awesome video!

I would also love to hear some standard bass and lead sounds if you have the time to make another vid. Props for all your synth vids - very helpful!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:33 pm

SWAN wrote: awesome video!

I would also love to hear some standard bass and lead sounds if you have the time to make another vid. Props for all your synth vids - very helpful!
Thanks, I'll whip up another video soon with some traditional sounds (that's what I prefer), so be sure to subscribe to my Channel, but I'll post it here, too.

There's a traditional type of sound at the last minute of the video (a bit distorted, though).

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Z wrote:Thanks, I'll whip up another video soon with some traditional sounds (that's what I prefer), so be sure to subscribe to my Channel, but I'll post it here, too. There's a traditional type of sound at the last minute of the video (a bit distorted, though).
Cool. Will look forward to that. All the sounds are very nice but the sounds near the end of the video is superb ;)

VCOrhubarb

Post by VCOrhubarb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:47 pm

Thanks, I'll whip up another video soon with some traditional sounds (that's what I prefer), so be sure to subscribe to my Channel, but I'll post it here, too.

There's a traditional type of sound at the last minute of the video (a bit distorted, though).
Superb sounds. I'm still groping for my jaw in the dark corner under my DX7 after I heard the last low sound from the SEM in your video. For me, it is the most impressive modern small analogue synth, hands down. I love the watery filter and modulations. I can't wait for more goodness... I'm glad you didn't post simple chirps that any synth could do.

And they sell it in Germany now :D

projectwoofer
Band: Woofer

Post by projectwoofer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Dogboy73 wrote:
Z wrote:Thanks, I'll whip up another video soon with some traditional sounds (that's what I prefer), so be sure to subscribe to my Channel, but I'll post it here, too. There's a traditional type of sound at the last minute of the video (a bit distorted, though).
Cool. Will look forward to that. All the sounds are very nice but the sounds near the end of the video is superb ;)
+1 to that!
http://www.myspace.com/woofergr
http://www.jumpingfish.gr/Woofer

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:33 pm

cerebrosis wrote: from your photo it appears that if the mini sequencer is reissued you could rack it with the PP SEM.
well, it would certainly fit into the space where the CP251 is now, but I'm not sure how racking would work... you'd need some whole other enclosure/rack unit to hold it. And the chassis holding the PP and SEM together is a solid piece of metal that "wraps" around the sides from underneath, so you can't just connect it it to the side a la the OB DX Stretch. There would definitely have to be some dis-assembly to get it to all fit together. But people have racked these in the past, so it can be done!
Do you even post on vse bro?

cerebrosis

Post by cerebrosis » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:47 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
cerebrosis wrote: from your photo it appears that if the mini sequencer is reissued you could rack it with the PP SEM.
well, it would certainly fit into the space where the CP251 is now, but I'm not sure how racking would work... you'd need some whole other enclosure/rack unit to hold it. And the chassis holding the PP and SEM together is a solid piece of metal that "wraps" around the sides from underneath, so you can't just connect it it to the side a la the OB DX Stretch. There would definitely have to be some dis-assembly to get it to all fit together. But people have racked these in the past, so it can be done!
it would involve some diy and id do it with no chassis involved. mounted by the holes in the faceplate to a custom sub rack or modified rack blank.

im drooling at the idea

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Regretably, I think I'm going to have to cancel my order for the SEM :( Got lots of other stuff going on lately that's eating up funds & as much as I would like one I really should sort out my other s**t first. Dogboy73 signing off :cry:

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:53 pm

...... Decided NOT to cancel my order now. F**k it! I'll sell my arsehole down the docks & live off bread & water for as long as required in order to get this thing!! :mrgreen:

Belaya

Post by Belaya » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:16 am

that's the spirit! :mrgreen:

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:16 pm

Dogboy73 wrote:...... Decided NOT to cancel my order now. F**k it! I'll sell my arsehole down the docks & live off bread & water for as long as required in order to get this thing!! :mrgreen:
It's hard to make money that way when you're suffering from ...... GAS! :lol: :lol: