The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
stikygum

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Post by stikygum » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:17 am

Curious about the bass the SEM can produce. I haven't heard any really beefy bass clips of it. Or maybe is this just not it's thing. What's your opinion on it's bass? It's a very dreamy synth, but I'm mainly wondering about how punchy and thick it can get in the bass dept.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

I12

Post by I12 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:05 pm

stikygum wrote:Curious about the bass the SEM can produce. I haven't heard any really beefy bass clips of it. Or maybe is this just not it's thing. What's your opinion on it's bass? It's a very dreamy synth, but I'm mainly wondering about how punchy and thick it can get in the bass dept.

plenty!
Dont bother its not worth it!

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:08 pm

Are we talking Moog thick or a different kind?
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:44 pm

stikygum wrote:Are we talking Moog thick or a different kind?
Can't say with the new one, but the original SEMs I have are real bass monsters. They will even enhance the bass of another oscillator/synth through the external input. Remember running some Roland system 100M 112 oscillators and hearing quite an improvement in the bass registers. I can honestly say the SEM is the one of the few synth/modules that the bass sounds close to my Moog Modular with the 901's. Here is a clip of an original SEM doing a TD style sequence, triggered by CV/gate from an SCI Pro~One arppegiator with a few other synths playing over top of the SEM sequence.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:00 pm

^^^

The sounds on that clip sound so ridiculously good it's not even funny.

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:58 pm

CZ Rider - Is this an other alias for Pete Namlook ?? ;)

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:51 am

CZ Rider wrote:
stikygum wrote:Are we talking Moog thick or a different kind?
Can't say with the new one, but the original SEMs I have are real bass monsters. They will even enhance the bass of another oscillator/synth through the external input. Remember running some Roland system 100M 112 oscillators and hearing quite an improvement in the bass registers. I can honestly say the SEM is the one of the few synth/modules that the bass sounds close to my Moog Modular with the 901's. Here is a clip of an original SEM doing a TD style sequence, triggered by CV/gate from an SCI Pro~One arppegiator with a few other synths playing over top of the SEM sequence.
Meh. I can get the same bass sound out of an old wash tub, broom handle and string.

That is, provided that there are plenty of psychotropic substances available during my performance.

Damn! Who does my poor impoverished a*s have to shag to get a free SEM?
And then she said, "What the f...?"

3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the true north strong and free(zing).

Post by 3rdConstruction » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:24 am

CZ Rider,
That is a fantastic clip. Any way of getting hold of more of that good stuff?
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:00 pm

Ah, sounds like Rubycon. Methinks a patch-panel SEM is still in my future.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:21 pm

Scories wrote:CZ Rider - Is this an other alias for Pete Namlook ?? ;)
Yes! Very Pete Namlook'ish indeed. Sounds great CZ!!

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:52 pm

I love the sound of the Oberheim SEM!

One of my favorite youtube videos of it is this one, all sounds made my SEM being multitracked:

Did the midi version ever get released?

Also, I heard some rumours that he (Tom O.) was going to start making new Oberheim Two Voices, does anyone know if that is true?

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:39 am

I'm loving all the audio being posted. Thanks to all! Scories, another thanks for posting the Two-Voice info Tom provided. While I'm with the others who probably won't buy one, I was still over-speculating in my head on design. For example, it looks like 2 patch panels, side by side, would fit perfectly where the minisequencer is on my TVS. The screw holes wouldn't match, though. Wouldn't that be an interesting option for the new? I do plan on getting a new minisequencer if he still plans to release it solo. I also just want to see what the new TVS looks like. I love the look of the old. I actually have a framed pic of it hanging in my living room. It was a gift.
stikygum wrote:Curious about the bass the SEM can produce. I haven't heard any really beefy bass clips of it. Or maybe is this just not it's thing. What's your opinion on it's bass? It's a very dreamy synth, but I'm mainly wondering about how punchy and thick it can get in the bass dept.
stickygum, I'm no CZ Rider :) and it may not be your preferred style, but I may have an example that could help with your bass questions on the new ones. In some places, it has a lot of energy in the 30-50hz range and I backed off some bass eq in this mix.

6 parts -10 mins
Pt2: 1:44 Pt3: 3:12 Pt4: 4:41 Pt5: 6:39 Pt6: 8:37

Back in November, I did parts 1-5 of this project to familiarize myself with the sound/controls of the new ones compared to the old. Part 6 was tacked on in December. I also wanted to see how simple I could keep the mix. It's basically six little sketchpads ranging from 1 1/2 to 2 minutes long. Minus FX mentioned below, all sound sources are PP SEMs. Very basic, cheesy, repetitive techno tracks. No real transitions, just one to the next. Sound selection was kinda poopy(Pt1 - detuned bass, anyone?). Besides CV/Gate/Filter usage, the only time I can recall using the patch panel was for routing Env2 to VCO1. No external inputs.

I used the UAD Cooper Time Cube(early reflections) and EMT 250(reverb) plugins, high-passed, on Aux busses. I used the UAD RE-201->DimD on the second half of part three. Other than that, only minimal Eq was used on individual tracks. Mostly HPF/LPF. No boosts. I did get aggressive with the HPF/LPFs on the hats and claps. Two compressors were used on two basslines to key/trigger the Eq to freq duck. Three were ducked with Eq automation. There was a peak limiter on the master buss but I did not hit it hard. Since there was no compression, there were some momentary peaks keeping the mix level down. The mix is pretty mono, murky at times, and has too much bass. Not real great and part 5 still sounds kinda s**t. Hopefully, it's all listenable, though. I talk it down but I do enjoy it and it's just loud enough to rattle the door frames with my factory car stereo. I may just do this little project again.

Solderman, going back a little and I'm sure you could just build 'em yourself but multies are the one thing I have picked up for my SEMs. Thanks to Muffwigglers, I found Ad Infinitum's UM410+. I haven't used it a lot but it seems great and I love the routing options. It'll allow me to modulate all eight oscillators with one source and use up only one of five groups of multies. Just thought it was a product worth a mention.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:36 pm

3rdConstruction wrote:CZ Rider,
That is a fantastic clip. Any way of getting hold of more of that good stuff?
Thanks for the positive comments! That was a multi track sample built up over that SEM sequence.
I did not find any other clips that really featured the SEM. That sample I posted was a really fun way to controll the SEM using the Pro~One keyboard. Sounds similar to a Moog 960 type sequence and very interactive, holding down keys for the various patterns. Did find a similar sounding clip I posted a while back when I first got that Moog 1P up and running. No SEM though, just a live clip with the Moog controlled from a 960, playing a double lead over top..

There are a few full lenght clips on this page of that same style music.
More downloads of similar clips

If I end up getting an SEM from Tom, it would probably be the panel only version. The tough part for the original ones was getting the +18.5/-18.5 volt power supply. I found an Internationl Power linear dual power supply that was adjustable betwen 18-24 volts that worked great. They make fantastic modules in a larger modular, and just about every function can be patched in and out. So you would not be limited just to the ones on the patch version, and could use 1/4" sockets.

3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the true north strong and free(zing).

Post by 3rdConstruction » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:36 am

CZ,
Thank you for posting those tracks. I'm soaking up Solar Maxima right now. Really really well done. My first synth was the Oberheim two-voice, & when I first went to university, I spent most of my nights in a closet sized studio with my two-voice & my instructor's '69 era Moog modular, so looking at your photos gives me a very warm & fuzzy feeling. Like how my two-voice can still make me feel. But how I miss that Moog! They are a great combination. Your tracks are far & away the best spacey electronic stuff that I've heard in a long long time. It's exactly what I've been longing to hear.
Wish you'd put out a CD! :music:
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Wed May 19, 2010 9:35 am

GAS for a new Two-Voice with keyboard and sequencer after watching the youtube clips of how good the original is!