The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Tom Oberheim to show new synth on Wednesday?

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:32 pm

as long as the tolerances of modern components don't squeeze the characteristic personality out of the thing - consider me SOLD
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:26 pm

I'm with otto, I want to see and hear reviews and know that it actually sounds as good as the vintage ones.

I don't want to be $800 disappointed by yet another modern synth that doesn't live up to the vintage sound.

but wow, I can't wait.
for sale/trade: EML-101

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:16 pm

it will live up, it is the EXACT SAME circuitry.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:38 pm

Joey wrote:it will live up, it is the EXACT SAME circuitry.
yeah really... I don't know what reviews people could possibly want. For all intents and purposes, it's the same thing. I could see this turning into a 303 vs. xoxbox type comparison, but since there's no sequencer, it's not really the same. The only differences appear to be surface mount vs. through hole of the original, modern parts vs. vintage... and while I'm sure there's some validity to that argument, but seeing as I've never even played an original SEM, I'll let my ignorance work to my benefit.
Do you even post on vse bro?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:41 pm

We will see... I'm optimistic but at the same time I wont be surprised if it doesn't sound the same. This does have some SMD and I know there was a big debate about that over on AH. Also it looks like the power supply is different. There is something to be said abotu the crappy design of older power supplies. The components are new and the tolerances likely tighter.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:37 pm

otto wrote:We will see... I'm optimistic but at the same time I wont be surprised if it doesn't sound the same. This does have some SMD and I know there was a big debate about that over on AH. Also it looks like the power supply is different. There is something to be said abotu the crappy design of older power supplies. The components are new and the tolerances likely tighter.
..yeah, was just re-reading that, but there was no ultimate verdict on if it would really affect the sound or not... but like someone else said, if it even sounds 90% as good as the original, I think most people would be satisfied... And realistically, since we're talking vintage synths-how many true synth heads would EVER think a new clone sounded the same as the original (justified or not)...

Regardless, original SEMs easily go for over 1k these days with no mods at all... to be able to get one with full patch points for $800, methinks is a fantastic bargain.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:08 am

No doubt Mr Ruff... the big thing though is that it does need to come close in sound. Otherwise there are lots of options on the market in all price points. I'm really not trying to be negative, I am very hopefull it will sound great. However, there is not a strong track record of new analog gear sounding like old analog gear (even if it still sounds great in its own way).

This pretty much killed my desire for a telemark either way.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:50 am

maindeglorie wrote:OH MY GOD IT'S A MIRACLE.

There is a VCA control patch point, which means I would be able to control this with my French Connection!
I don't know how or if this affects your situation....If the vca cv input is the same as the old, you have to flip the switch in the lower center of the SEM to the right to use it - which disconnects env1 from the vca. Env 1 is on the left of the switch, the right goes to the external cv input for the vca so it's an either/or thing. I ran into this.

Of course, with all the patch points and some ingenuity you can get around this. :D

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:57 pm

Joey wrote:it will live up, it is the EXACT SAME circuitry.
Technically not, unless Tom bought all the components to build them before 2006. He'll have to replace all of his original discrete components with RoHS compliant ones and make the board itself RoHS compliant if he wants to sell it in the EU. Will this make a difference? Hard to say, but a friend in erm another industry has been thanking his diety of choice that his industry is exempt from RoHS.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:36 am

I hope for everyone's (and especially MY) sake, that this thing still sounds awesome, despite all the potential inhibitors to its original sound that have been brought up... Unfortunately, I won't have an original SEM to compare it to, so the comparisons will have to be left to others (ideally before I actually get mine!)

(release date is sept. 25 according to audiomidi)

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:20 am

I'm eagerly awaiting reviews of this new SEM, anyone in the loop get one early? :D

I wonder how long it will take if i order one now... only thing holding me back is the damn CA 9.75 sales tax bahhhh :cry:

Robonaut
Gear: Roland JD-800
Roland JV-2080
Roland SH-101
Studio Electronics Omega 8

Post by Robonaut » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:08 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you tune the oscillators? Is there some sort of auto-tuning mechanism built-in or do you need to tune them by hand?

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:16 pm

I'm sure it's well calibrated upon purchase but at some point like any analog synth will need calibration after awhile, usually just tweaking trim pots I imagine.

Kraig0078

Post by Kraig0078 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:04 am

How would you trigger the sem with just a pro solo? looking at the patch panel it looks like you could only trigger one oscillator at a time. Am I missing something? I was hoping to integrate the patch panel version into my setup but don't want to have to buy a new midi to cv converter.
Synths:Prophet 08,Prodigy,Mono/Poly,Juno 106
DX 21,Micro Q
Drums:X Base 09,MPC 1000,Battery 3

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:10 am

that is a good point, i wonder if it you could just use a splitter cable from the pro solo? maybe there are regular cv/gate inputs on the back... but there are no pictures of the back anywhere

it really does sound good in the short demo, it's too bad tom isn't putting out some demos or letting somebody else do it. I would be salivating watching them