The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Tom Oberheim to show new synth on Wednesday?

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Kraig0078 wrote:How would you trigger the sem with just a pro solo? looking at the patch panel it looks like you could only trigger one oscillator at a time. Am I missing something? I was hoping to integrate the patch panel version into my setup but don't want to have to buy a new midi to cv converter.
yeah, just use a splitter cable for cv/gate... radio shack sell them.
Do you even post on vse bro?

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:47 pm

I was hoping it would have the connections on the back as seen here + the side panel ones... any chance?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:12 pm

forget it that's a mod.

but that's the great thing on the SEM, the electronical design allows lots of rather nice mods

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:01 am

Kraig0078 wrote:How would you trigger the sem with just a pro solo? looking at the patch panel it looks like you could only trigger one oscillator at a time. Am I missing something? I was hoping to integrate the patch panel version into my setup but don't want to have to buy a new midi to cv converter.
The first CV for VCO1 is linked to the first CV of VCO2. Plugging into VCO1 controls both. Plugging into VCO2 CV1 will break this connection. That's another one of those little things like the VCA and Env1 thing I mentioned earlier.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:56 pm

Overgear wrote:
The first CV for VCO1 is linked to the first CV of VCO2. Plugging into VCO1 controls both. Plugging into VCO2 CV1 will break this connection. That's another one of those little things like the VCA and Env1 thing I mentioned earlier.
Are you talking about the new or old model? And if you're talking about the new one, does the same apply to envs 1 and 2? I was hoping what you are describing above was implemented in the patched out version of the new one, but it would certainly be easy to work around if not with splitter cables...

on a side note, I have gotten word that the first SEMs are still on schedule to be delivered to Audiomidi on the 25th... Tom O. is currently cranking these out in his garage as we speak!

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:38 pm

Sir Ruff wrote: Are you talking about the new or old model? And if you're talking about the new one, does the same apply to envs 1 and 2? I was hoping what you are describing above was implemented in the patched out version of the new one, but it would certainly be easy to work around if not with splitter cables...
That's how it works on the old and I can't imagine it being much different on the new. If you look here at the upper right, the two red molex are the VCO CVs. Between them, you can see two jumpers. You can barely see the one by VCO2. That's the link.

As far as the envelopes go...yeah both Env1 and 2 should gate/trigger with a single connection to Env1 Gate. Well...as long as the VCA switch is set to the left(on). If you set it to the right(ext), Env1 output is removed from the signal path and the VCA CNTL jack is now active. VCA CNTL shouldn't do anything until you flip that switch. That's what I meant when I said it was an either/or kinda thing with the VCA. To use Env1(and VCA CNTL), you will have to mix the Env1 Output jack back in to the CV signal that is going into the VCA CNTL jack.

To simplify...basic CV/Gate controls should be VCO CV1 in/Env1 Gate. Looking at the pic, again, you can see the green(Env1 Gate In)-black(ground)-red(CV1 In) wires going down the right. That's them. Note that there is nothing plugged into Env2(molex Y) and VCO2(molex D - the red one on the left.)

Another note on the Envs....The envelopes response to gate/trigger is also determined by jumpers on the old ones. If he still does it this way, maybe they won't be soldered jumpers [-o< . If you look at the lower right on the pic, you can see the green molex(Env1-molex X). Right above that, you can see a couple of jumpers. See the one farthest to the right? You see the holes right below each jumper contact? Since that jumper is set to the upper holes/position, that SEM is single-trigger(son of a...... :evil: ). If I move it to the lower holes, it will multi-trigger. The green molex(Y) on the lower left is Env 2 but the far right jumper on Env1 sets trigger for both. I'm pretty sure that's how it goes. I imagine the new ones will be set up multi-trigger.

In case anyone cares and it hasn't been said...the three molex pins not used in the new CV version are two more Audio Ins and Output Amplifier In(I3- on the same molex as VCA CNTL). There are two Audio Ins per side of the Ext knob in the VCF because the 2 molex for the Audio Ins have two ins, each. Only one is wired. The OutAmp In - I haven't found a use for it since it comes right before the VCA out, after everything else.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:11 pm

I can't help but think how awesome this is going to be with a couple moogerfoogers, especially the filter and ring mod. I mean I would take a SEM with patch panel and handful of moogers over a voyager even, so long as the oscs sound huge and I'm sure they will.

Just having a mooger filter will be so versatile with the sem filter.
for sale/trade: EML-101

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:25 pm

Have to say, for the past few days I have been unable to stop thinking of how to use this and hook it up - once it finally arrives.

Overgear

Post by Overgear » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:22 am

nadafarms wrote:I can't help but think how awesome this is going to be with a couple moogerfoogers, especially the filter and ring mod. I mean I would take a SEM with patch panel and handful of moogers over a voyager even, so long as the oscs sound huge and I'm sure they will.

Just having a mooger filter will be so versatile with the sem filter.
And considering there are audio outs at each section....the VCO Saw and Pulse Outs and the 4 VCF outs (lp,hp,n,bp) are tapped right before they pass to the next section and should be able to be used simultaneously.

One thing that would have been nice on the patch panel is some differentiation for signal types. Audio and CV are mixed in many sections and it may not be obvious, at first, which is which. It doesn't take long to sort out, though. Hardly anything to complain about and the panel layout actually makes total sense.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:04 pm

None out yet?
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:43 pm

otto wrote:None out yet?
Friday :D

3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the true north strong and free(zing).

Post by 3rdConstruction » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:02 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Tom O. is currently cranking these out in his garage as we speak!
seriously? he's really a one-man operation right now? woah! i'm still in a quandary over whether to plunge or see if he might consider plans for a keyboard. i know we've gone over this before, but i'm desperately wishing for a four-voice and don't know whether to wait & see what his plans are or for go for 4 of the new SEMs & try to figure out how to link them via midi. that little sequencer would be nice too.
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:23 pm

Can't wait to read the reviews, hear the demos. I'm currently monoless and want to see how this shapes up before I decide on anything...

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:24 pm

Can't wait to read the reviews, hear the demos. I'm currently monoless and want to see how this shapes up before I decide on anything...

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:30 am

otto wrote:Can't wait to read the reviews, hear the demos. I'm currently monoless and want to see how this shapes up before I decide on anything...
tell me about it... i'm a little surprised this hasn't been reviewed yet or had some demos posted.. but then again, I get the feeling it doesn't make any difference to him, or whoever's pre-ordered either way... he'll build it, and it will sell[.]