The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Tom Oberheim to show new synth on Wednesday?

Post by pflosi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:29 pm

i remember reading yesterday on rbma that the interview is at 7pm. i guess boston time not switzerland...

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:20 pm

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/acad ... es/All/0//
What:
Tom Oberheim has been developing electroni products for musicians for over 35 years. He invented a number of innovative electronic music products, including: the first polyphonic synthesizer, the first phase shifter and ring modulator for the performing musician, the first completely programmable music sythesizer, and the first electronic music system that incorporated a synchronized music synthesizer, digital sequencer and digital drummachine. On June 3rd we welcome you to come listen and learn about music, inspiration and life through Tom Oberheim's eyes.

When:
June 03, 2009
19:00 - 21:00 EST
Address:

Fourth Wall Project
132 Brookline Ave
Boston MA USA

paugui

Post by paugui » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks for the link, it seems a really interesting interview.

Will the announcement of the new synth be displayed live in their website too?

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:08 pm

I'm imagining us all waiting by our computers with baited breath ... :lol:

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

intercorni
Band: Lustobjekt

Post by intercorni » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:11 pm

xpander wrote:http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/acad ... es/All/0//
What:
He invented a number of innovative electronic music products, including: the first polyphonic synthesizer, the first phase shifter and ring modulator for the performing musician, the first completely programmable music sythesizer, and the first electronic music system that incorporated a synchronized music synthesizer, digital sequencer and digital drummachine.
The first completely programmable music sythesizer? which model?
Was the first programmable synthesizer is not the PPG 360?
PPG Wave 2.2 | 2x PPG Waveterm A | PPG PRK | Roland Jupiter-6 | Roland Juno-6 | Waldorf Microwave | Elka Rhapsody 610 | Moog Polymoog | Minimoog Model D | Casio FZ1 | h**l Modular Synthesizer
https://www.facebook.com/cornel.hecht

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:15 pm

:lol:

you obviously haven't watched a Redbull Music Academy interview. just assume they also wrote that he invented the screwdriver and cured polio and you'll enjoy the experience more.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:41 pm

so what is the news?
for sale/trade: EML-101

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Thank you, Mr. Oberheim. =D> \:D/ Two(more), please.

Discussing sound(and price) is pointless, to me. Mainly because, as others have eluded to(xpander,0000 - you guys are such teases! :) ), of what is on the inside. Besides, of all these modern re-releases of oldies, I expect this one to sound 100% like the original - for the same reason the insides are the hidden gem - design. Look at this:
Anything look too hard to find these days? Not to me, and I'm an electronics idiot.
I took this Monday night when, on a whim, I decided to switch my two mod jacks(the 2 gray wires to the right) back to where I normally have them. In the pic, they are going the External Modulation In on each oscillator. Now, take a look at all(15, minus power in the lower center) the molex connectors. Every pin has a function. Notice they are color coded. They are also letter-coded. For instance, the gray molex(letter H) in the upper left goes to the filter. The pins are: H1 - CV in1, H2 - CV in2, H3 - Ext Mod in. That's three filter inputs in one molex. If you want to find these on the schematics just look for H1-3. Freakin' beautiful. There are 36 pins(and 9 ground pins) that can be brought out to jacks without ever having to get a soldering iron anywhere near the circuit boards. If you want the full list, check out The Analog Cottage. He gives you the map and the key, not to mention calibration and patching recommendations.

Leaving an SEM stock feels almost criminal, to me. These just are begging to be modded. They're just waiting for it, quietly mocking you every moment you don't. My friend described it best when he called it a blank slate. Tom made it super easy to modularize but left how you wanted to mod it up to you. That's actually the hardest part. Figuring out what you want and then designing your patch panel, that's the hard part. The wiring is merely tedious and getting inside the SEMs is not that big a deal. I don't like to open synths unless I have to, except the TVS. Switching those jacks and taking pics took about 15 minutes and a screwdriver.
This pin(out of focus in the center) is going to H1. See, you don't even need the molex connector. Just the pin.
Most CV I/Os are 1 pin. Now, here's the other big thing. Since the SEM based synths are basically a bunch of modules, guess how they are connected.
Yep, more molex. This is the Mini-Sequencer and my second mod jack went back to the white molex(H1- ironically), External Clock In. So, when xpander says there will be more, I take this to mean we will see a new Mini-Seq, Polyphonic Programmer, etc, and maybe totally new modules.

If anyone would like to hear some(15 or so) SEM sounds and sequences, check these out(10mg mp3). These were mostly made about two years ago. Most are Techno-ish patterns. All sequences are the Mini-Seq except the one at 2:24. This one I did Monday to test that the filter jack was ok. It was sequenced in Sonar and the filter is modded by a tempo-synced Tri LFO from the Kenton. This also the only one I EQ'ed. There is delay/reverb on many, though.
This one(6mg mp3) is just a bass tweak sequence. There is a full range filter sweep at the beginning. This is the first sequence where I used the Seq2 Clock Mod(pull the Clock knob up.) This allows you to set the length of steps for Seq1 with Seq2. Nothing too special.

Also, search for reWire's thread about the power of two SEMs. Great audio demos, if they're still up.

If you are wanting to go modular and feel intimidated, one SEM might be a great start. No single synth has taught me about the "other side" of analogs. And, if you want an SEM, I highly recommend the Mini-Seq if they make it. It's not just a sequencer. So much more. Mine is possessed. I though I would never use it. Twenty minutes after I got my TVS, I got up, called a guitarist friend and told him "I think this thing just called me a b***h!" you know, the S/H is going " bee, bah,boh,...b***h..." Give the sequencer pitch/time info and the S/H can play a mean solo for you just with the filter. Just sit back and wave your hands in the air. I have one recording the guitarist friend still can't believe is a all "machine".
Well, the only bad thing I can see, so far, is that I can't feel "special" anymore :cussing: :cry: ... :D Oh, well.

Synthmatic

Post by Synthmatic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:32 pm

Anything look too hard to find these days?

Yeah, the three CA3080 ICs used in the VCF and VCA, they are out of production.

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:02 am

Synthmatic

What about the NTE996? Any experience with it as a replacement?

Post by 0000 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:19 am

thanks for the write up and sounds Overgear

spent much time on those circuit boards!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:29 am

Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:39 am

Overgear wrote:Synthmatic

What about the NTE996? Any experience with it as a replacement?
It's a probably a relabeled CA3080. NTE does not produce anything, they just rebadge and resell old parts at a 300% markup. There are plenty of modern chips that have similar functionality. He should move forward with a modernized discrete design. There are plenty of excellent modern IC's which could be put to very good use in the right hands.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:41 am

Looks great! Price will apparently be "under 1k"... tho I imagine pretty close to it as I thought... Wonder if there will be deals for more than one voice.
Do you even post on vse bro?

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:58 am

if its fully discrete like the original, and no SMD.. and under a grand.. thats VERY tempting, considering how expensive the original SEMs got in recent year..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc