Page 39 of 43

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:01 am
by stikygum
Those clips are great, much thanks for posting those! I'm pretty sure after buying my share of boutique synths, my next synth will be a Moog or the SEM CV. Just wish the SEM was available without the wait.

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:12 pm
by Scories
I got an e-mail from Audiomidi; they have about 8 MIDI SEMs available right now for sale, in case you are interested. I've ordered one. I think they don't have a stock of the patch pannel version though.

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:20 pm
by meatballfulton
I've seen a couple of used SEMs already priced around $800.

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:04 am
by Solderman
My new patch-panel SEM just arrived today, serial number 233. It's already pissing me off.

The VCF doesn't self-oscillate in a consistent manner, as it's very faint below 4khz, and fades out entirely below around 300 hz. Tom tells me that any self-oscillation at all is unintentional for the SEM filter. However, I've seen demos of people using it, so I must be unlucky there.
Then I tried running the CV from my Kenton Pro2000 through a Moog CP-251 lag circuit for portamento, and it f**k up the CV pitch tracking. I've confirmed it's not the Kenton or Moogerfooger, because pitch tracking works fine when I set up portamento this way for my SH-101.

I thought the patch-panel SEM was supposed to be built for interfacing with other modular gear? At this point, I'm already losing faith in its capabilities.

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:46 am
by nadafarms
whoah there :? the self oscillation on the one I had was similar. It only slightly self oscillated to begin with, and only from 10 or 11 oclock to 5 oclock.... so no deep sub bass ms-20 style self oscillation. What are you expecting it's a buzzy 12db filter and it still sounds great just love it for what it does do, plenty of other filters self oscillate and the original doesn't at all.

Don't know what to say about the pitch tracking, if it tracks normally with regular cv then something must be going on with the combination of gear your using.

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:55 am
by Solderman
Today I'm pissed, :evil: tomorrow I'll be fine. :D
That's what I get for having pre-conceived ideas. I'm sure I'll make lovely music with it soon, regardless.

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:01 am
by Sir Ruff
Solderman wrote:My new patch-panel SEM just arrived today, serial number 233. It's already pissing me off.

The VCF doesn't self-oscillate in a consistent manner, as it's very faint below 4khz, and fades out entirely below around 300 hz. Tom tells me that any self-oscillation at all is unintentional for the SEM filter. However, I've seen demos of people using it, so I must be unlucky there.
Then I tried running the CV from my Kenton Pro2000 through a Moog CP-251 lag circuit for portamento, and it f**k up the CV pitch tracking. I've confirmed it's not the Kenton or Moogerfooger, because pitch tracking works fine when I set up portamento this way for my SH-101.

I thought the patch-panel SEM was supposed to be built for interfacing with other modular gear? At this point, I'm already losing faith in its capabilities.
Just tried this again myself and you're right, it messes up pitch. Annoying but resolvable using the CP's mixer.

And the filter really doesn't self-oscillate (in the pure-sine wave/sh-101 sense). That's just the nature of this filter.

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:39 am
by Solderman
Glad to hear the self-oscillation limitations are not just on mine. I can still do the zap sound, and sending some noise(from the CP-251) to the Ext. input makes it a bit louder.
Tom tells me since the CV inputs are tied together, each 100k CV input load becomes a 50k load, and the CV input isn't buffered, so the CV source must be a very low output impedance. I can do portamento to a degree with the Kenton, but it isn't quite as expressive. No matter; I just spent the last hour making leads going through an EHX Deluxe Memory Man that gave me goose bumps. By far the best filter for leads!

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:35 am
by jcn7
When I had mine, I was using a Future Retro XS (using the midi to CV) to drive the SEM, and the XS's portamento transmitted to the SEM beautifully. In fact the XS IMHO has the best smoothest portamento, (somewhat logarithmic) and really made the SEM shine. I also have a Kenton Pro solo II, but I don't really care for it's portamento, although it's a great unit for what it does. Also to note, I also had the Future Retro Orb at that time and it also has the same Portamento (though I felt it's time was a bit shorter than the XS at it's highest setting) and can be used as a midi to CV controller as well, so it too will transmit that beautiful portamento to your SEM. Anyway, just a thought. Jaime

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:21 am
by Scories
Actually, I really like the fact that the filter does not self-oscillate. I don't use much screaming sounds but I do like high resonnance, so it gives me plenty of headroom to fine-tune around those frequencies. And the buzzy filter kinda replaces the noise generator. J'aime aussi.

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:43 am
by Tenine
Looking at getting a patch-point SEM. I'm in the UK.

Getting one from SchneidersBuro works out over £800.
In the US, the price equates to less than £600.
I know some American musicians who come here regularly on musician's visas.
I'm thinking I could ask them to bring one over for me as one of their instruments.

A few questions -
Does that sound like a good idea?
What sort of 24V PSU does the SEM use? Is there an equivalent UK PSU? What sort do they ship with from SchneidersBuro?
What would be the best way to transport it on the plane (they might not want to take it as hand luggage)?

I also have a friend who works in the US seasonally, he said he could pick me one up.
Would he likely have to pay tax upon bringing it into the UK though?

Cheers!

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:33 am
by Solderman
Dunno about legalities with customs or visas, but the SEM is quite light for carrying.
Power supply from audiomidi in the states is CUI Inc. Model HK-CH12-A24, rated at 100-240V~50/60 hz 0.35A input, 24V 0.5A out.

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:49 pm
by SWAN
Tenine wrote:Looking at getting a patch-point SEM. I'm in the UK.

Getting one from SchneidersBuro works out over £800.
In the US, the price equates to less than £600.
I know some American musicians who come here regularly on musician's visas.
I'm thinking I could ask them to bring one over for me as one of their instruments.

A few questions -
Does that sound like a good idea?
What sort of 24V PSU does the SEM use? Is there an equivalent UK PSU? What sort do they ship with from SchneidersBuro?
What would be the best way to transport it on the plane (they might not want to take it as hand luggage)?

I also have a friend who works in the US seasonally, he said he could pick me one up.
Would he likely have to pay tax upon bringing it into the UK though?

Cheers!
yeah Im considering this - but even importing and paying customs fees seems cheaper than Schneiders...to the tune of about £70 I guesstimate...

Solderman wrote:Dunno about legalities with customs or visas, but the SEM is quite light for carrying.
Power supply from audiomidi in the states is CUI Inc. Model HK-CH12-A24, rated at 100-240V~50/60 hz 0.35A input, 24V 0.5A out.
so this power supply could be used in the UK at 240 anyways?

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:57 pm
by Solderman
I haven't tried it overseas, but it appears to be rated for this, yes.

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:19 pm
by Cybercardinal
Any news on the Two Voice ?