The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Tenine

Re: The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Post by Tenine » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:06 am

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:19 am

for anyone interested - here is a good link for the charges involved in importing a SEM to the UK form US.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/45228- ... EM-is-3.2/

Its interesting how the total is £742 whilst Schneidersburo charge £830...bad thing is I want to go down to the new Schneidersburo test area in London to try one - but I cannot bring myself to waste £90 and buy it from them?! It seems pointless...maybe they will give me a discount or explain why the price discrepancy...

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:33 am

SWAN wrote:for anyone interested - here is a good link for the charges involved in importing a SEM to the UK form US.

Its interesting how the total is £742 whilst Schneidersburo charge £830...bad thing is I want to go down to the new Schneidersburo test area in London to try one - but I cannot bring myself to waste £90 and buy it from them?! It seems pointless...maybe they will give me a discount or explain why the price discrepancy...
I imagine that amount contains a mark up so they can make profit, as well as the cost for all taxes etc...

That SEM pro looks good, like a chunk of old computer...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:12 pm

I am still waiting to hear if the 2-voice comes to light.

The SEM-pro is great!! Now you can have your cake and eat it too, for a cost.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:06 pm

kuroichi wrote:
SWAN wrote:for anyone interested - here is a good link for the charges involved in importing a SEM to the UK form US.

I imagine that amount contains a mark up so they can make profit, as well as the cost for all taxes etc...

but you would have thought they would get dealer price which would then allow their profit...just as with Audiomidi...

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:19 am

Gear lust has once again set in with the news of the SEM-Pro. That's what I always wanted because I never quite made my mind up between the MIDI>CV or patch version (with a Kenton converter) and as such ended up buying neither!

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:01 am

SWAN wrote:
kuroichi wrote:

but you would have thought they would get dealer price which would then allow their profit...just as with Audiomidi...
Yeah, your right, but Ive noticed that in Europe we never seem to get that privilege... :(
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:08 pm

It's too bad this wasn't available initially, but I guess the delays with the midi version would have delayed bringing this out too. I'll be interested to see the US price. Maybe reason enough to sell SEM #1 :D (actually, I think I'd just as soon wait for a 2-voice, or hey, 4-voice!)
Do you even post on vse bro?

Tenine

Post by Tenine » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:24 am

Ordered my SEM (Patch Panel) from SchneidersLaden! Decided for the sake of £70 or so (currently), I'd rather not have the anxiety of importing from the US, plus I spent a good few hours at Schneiders one afternoon this Summer and all the staff were great.
Also ordered a Pro Solo Mk II from Kenton.

Can't wait!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:24 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:It's too bad this wasn't available initially, but I guess the delays with the midi version would have delayed bringing this out too. I'll be interested to see the US price. Maybe reason enough to sell SEM #1 :D (actually, I think I'd just as soon wait for a 2-voice, or hey, 4-voice!)
Keep the patch panel and get this. Shazam! 2-Voice!

atticus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by atticus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:05 pm

Tenine wrote:Ordered my SEM (Patch Panel) from SchneidersLaden! Decided for the sake of £70 or so (currently), I'd rather not have the anxiety of importing from the US, plus I spent a good few hours at Schneiders one afternoon this Summer and all the staff were great.
Also ordered a Pro Solo Mk II from Kenton.

Can't wait!
Congrats on the SEM, let us know what you think when you've had a good play. I think you're right, 70 quid's not too much more for avoiding the import hassle and being able to return it in Europe if there's a problem.
Bugbrand Modular, MFB Synth II, Roland Juno 1, Roland JD-990, Novation Supernova, Jomox Airbase, Roland SH-09, Roland HS-60, Mac & Logic

Tenine

Post by Tenine » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:42 pm

atticus wrote:Congrats on the SEM, let us know what you think when you've had a good play. I think you're right, 70 quid's not too much more for avoiding the import hassle and being able to return it in Europe if there's a problem.
Thanks, I'll report back in the next few weeks. Apparently they're both due to arrive middle of next week. Exciting stuff!

Tenine

Post by Tenine » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:42 am

My SEM should be arriving today!

Just a quick question, the supplied PSU will operate on UK mains voltage, right?
So, I should only need a travel adaptor so the US plug will fit into a UK wall socket, is that correct?

Cheers!

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:57 am

The power supply I received will do either 110 or 220. Congrats! You'll love it! Be sure and send VCA Out directly to VCF Cutoff CV and adjust oscillator mix loundess for a more aggressive SEM. This one's VCF actually self-oscillates!
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Tenine wrote:So, I should only need a travel adaptor so the US plug will fit into a UK wall socket, is that correct?
You don't need a travel adaptor.

Don't think it came with UK plug... But a cable with a UK plug at one end and one of those small 8 fittings - fits the transformer fine.

Double check later on...