The New Tom Oberheim SEM Thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Tom Oberheim to show new synth on Wednesday?

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:02 am

Seems like making a semi-modular version of the SEM might also be a good bet, given the popularity (relatively speaking, of course) of modular stuff these days.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:06 am

pricklyrobot wrote:Seems like making a semi-modular version of the SEM might also be a good bet, given the popularity (relatively speaking, of course) of modular stuff these days.
Or likewise, making that midi-cv box control more than just pitch and filter (i.e. have control of all parameters... that would create some sort of patch saving ability too). But either would be preferable to just a stock unit I think given the current competition...
Do you even post on vse bro?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:04 am

I'll be interested in having a play with one of these when they come out, I reckon it'll be a tough choice between this and an XS though.
xpander wrote:there will be more than just the SEM module.
You have the greatest insider knowledge. :)

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:28 am

Sir Ruff wrote:Or likewise, making that midi-cv box control more than just pitch and filter (i.e. have control of all parameters... that would create some sort of patch saving ability too). But either would be preferable to just a stock unit I think given the current competition...
...or how about selling "mod kits". You decide what you want. Selling them in pieces would be sweet! I'm with you on a bundle price. Or ,maybe, that's like the master SEM and you can get slaves(original stock look). Doubt it. Just dreaming. I just don't want to pay(extra) for midi I'm not gonna use. Gonna miss those VCO knobs, though. Look at me, already whining.
clusterchord wrote:... and no SMD...
Really! You've heard a definitive answer? All the patch points could be left in-tact? Oh, please! [-o<
0000 wrote:spent much time on those circuit boards!
Got any dirty pictures? :twisted: I love seeing how others decide to go. I still can't make up my mind.

Thanks for the info, Altitude.

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:16 am

Ok, just did a little test and found this noteworthy.

I monitored the TVS through the Fireface at 192khz. DIGICheck extends its Spectral Analyzer all the way to 81khz. I did an upward high-pass filter sweep with full resonance at C4. When I got to the top this is what I got:

You know, it sounded like it could've used a couple db cut at 64khz...

But seriously, Damn! :shock:

Clementine - your cute, but I want more pictures!

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:08 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
and i should have some really interesting stuff to post on VSE in the next few days!

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:37 am

xpander wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
and i should have some really interesting stuff to post on VSE in the next few days!
Can't friggin' wait!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:13 pm

Here it is folks! I think this answers all of our questions thus far. Sounds like only pitch, VCA, and filter are controllable via midi... but it's still possibly to patch out all of the other points. Me want NOW!!!

pics:

video!:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:54 pm

AWESOME

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:02 pm

Wow, that is larger than I thought it was.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:08 pm

Overgear wrote:Ok, just did a little test and found this noteworthy.

I monitored the TVS through the Fireface at 192khz. DIGICheck extends its Spectral Analyzer all the way to 81khz. I did an upward high-pass filter sweep with full resonance at C4. When I got to the top this is what I got:

You know, it sounded like it could've used a couple db cut at 64khz...

But seriously, Damn! :shock:

Clementine - your cute, but I want more pictures!
Wati, so what you are saying is that the SEM has an incredibly high freq range?

(for some maybe, but I can hear 80khz no sweat :lol: )

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:50 pm

Wonder how easy it will be to buy worldwide?

Overgear

Post by Overgear » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:08 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Wati, so what you are saying is that the SEM has an incredibly high freq range?

(for some maybe, but I can hear 80khz no sweat :lol: )
You lucky bastard :evil: :D ! Anything above 16khz sounds like my juno turned all the way up. Just noise.

But, yeah it's got some range. I decided to push a little higher. I took one oscillator, max volume(overdrives it a bit), no resonance, HP filter all the way down, tuned it almost to the top, and hit the highest C on my keyboard(AX73).
The fundamental doesn't move but the upper harmonics(32, 51 :? khz) are pulsing. What's funny is that if you turn the HP filter all the way up, it will significantly attenuate the fundamental. It was high-passing the low-end of the note. The oscillators can definitely go past the HP filter. I thought "This would be a good patch to try to figure out the pitch of my tinnitus." Then, I got worried that if I found it and got it completely out-of-phase, I would instantly puke or something :-& .
I could have tuned higher. There's still some range but if I turned the Osc Freq all the way up it starting doing this cyclical chirping :shock: .

A/V quality aside, the new one seems to sound damn near the same. The LP, Notch, HP knob sounded the same. So did the detuned oscillators. The additions of note priority, and filter keyboard track are quite welcome. Of course, the key track might be using one of the mod connections. The note priority seems a bit more impressive. That's hard wired on the old. One of mine is wired single trigger, the other multi. I can compensate with the Kenton, though. But, when he said LFO sync, I bet he was talking re-trigger(also a pin function) and not midi sync. And, considering he is old school. h**l, I guess he is the old school.

At first, I wanted accept the "do all the knobs respond to midi" question as valid. But, as Tom said like three times before then and stated once again, it's an analog synth. At that moment, I realized I better prepare myself to hear SEMs in weak-a*s booty music :roll: . Thems the breaks. Oh well. :D

Operatron

Post by Operatron » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:41 am

Sir Ruff wrote:Here it is folks! I think this answers all of our questions thus far. Sounds like only pitch, VCA, and filter are controllable via midi... but it's still possibly to patch out all of the other points. Me want NOW!!!

pics:

video!:
I love wednesdays

PolarAC
Gear: ASR-10, ESQ-1, Juno 6, MPC 2000, Concertmate MG-1, Fender Rhodes 88, Wavestation A/D, Mutable labs Shruthi-1, Bastl MicroGranny, Volca FM

Post by PolarAC » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:51 am

The effin' 2000's man!!
Sure this decade has had its issues, but its been pretty damn good for gearheads