korg dw 8000 overated or not ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
solderguy

Re: korg dw 8000 overated or not ?

Post by solderguy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:42 pm

Definitely don't judge it by the presets :D

Takes some familiarization to find the sweet spots, in my experience more so than with many synths of similar complexity. Going beyond saw and square and finding out what the other waveforms are good for takes a while too. Was initially rather underwhelmed by it !

KillerSynth

Post by KillerSynth » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Mr Knesh wrote:I went to see crystal castles last year. They had a dw8000. The basses and leads that came out of that synth were freaking amazing! There were several time during that evening that I was compelled to leave the dance floor to relieve myself in the restroom. Because of bass.
Yeah, it's the matter of how you can use it :D

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:10 pm

I had one for a while, I didn't find it very inspiring. I really tried to push it to the limit but was bleh on most things. I will say this, it is a very nice sounding synth, but it is also very limited. The digital delay is nice because you can get some cool phasing effects, but mostly I was looking for programmability.

What I will say is that for the current amount it goes for (1-300), its a great deal. I got mine for $50, which I'd consider worth it. I'd put it up there with the nord lead 1/2/2x, juno 6/60/106, and other synths that are extremely limited but have a good sound to them.

With that said though, I'd much rather get an Ensoniq ESQ1, Kawai K3, or Evolver if I was looking for an analog digital hybrid.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Spadz
Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Post by Spadz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:41 pm

Joey wrote:I had one for a while, I didn't find it very inspiring. I really tried to push it to the limit but was bleh on most things. I will say this, it is a very nice sounding synth, but it is also very limited. The digital delay is nice because you can get some cool phasing effects, but mostly I was looking for programmability.

What I will say is that for the current amount it goes for (1-300), its a great deal. I got mine for $50, which I'd consider worth it. I'd put it up there with the nord lead 1/2/2x, juno 6/60/106, and other synths that are extremely limited but have a good sound to them.

With that said though, I'd much rather get an Ensoniq ESQ1, Kawai K3, or Evolver if I was looking for an analog digital hybrid.
I agree with you on this. It has it's limits. In that sense, the ESQ1 is more flexible and it sounds great too.

The filters that makes it sound so "large", too bad they did not have a better idea than sticking with a few waves and a simple architecture.

Spadz
If you don't know what you are doing, why are you doing it?

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Overated, like Mercutio's death in Romeo & Juliet. 'Tis not as deep as a well but t'will do.' :lol:

MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

ross308
Band: November's Ego

Post by ross308 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:56 pm

its a nice synth to have. very easy to program. i like it for spacey stuff. i love the fragile pitch bender that also gives you acces to osc mod and vcf mod (dont brake it).

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:03 pm

solderguy wrote:Definitely don't judge it by the presets :D

Takes some familiarization to find the sweet spots, in my experience more so than with many synths of similar complexity. Going beyond saw and square and finding out what the other waveforms are good for takes a while too. Was initially rather underwhelmed by it !
That was my experience exactly. I bought one, played with it a little, and shelved it for a year. Then one day I got it out, hooked it up to a good PA, and deleted every preset. I fooled around with every edit function until I realized that it was capable of fantastic sounds of all kinds! I will say this, it's a subtle beast. Until you are intimately familiarized with it, you will think that it can only do a few things well, Once you really know you're way around it, you will surprised at how versatile it is, especially with only 70 some-odd editing parameters.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:26 am

a little demo of some sounds made when I bought it few months ago.

EX8000 sounds

It's very cheap and it covers most of your pad needs. Instead of buying a boring vst, get a EX8000. Really warm and fat sound and nice resonance.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:11 pm

In my opinion it was a very good synth with an excellent analogue filter . Sounds a bit digital and plasticky but has it's own charm. I loved the Unison and the layout of the synth.