Just saw Crystal Method live

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
West_Berliner
Gear: Nord Lead 2, Nord Modular, Virus C, Machinedrum SPS-1
Band: musique concrete

Just saw Crystal Method live

Post by West_Berliner » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:49 am

Just got back from seeing the Crystal Method live here in Calgary. good show, lots of old cuts, just a few off the new album (which made me happy as i'm not really digging the new one)
some synths i spotted were the A6, Nord Lead 2 right at the front, MS-20, Arturia Origin and some sort of other korg (that looked like the micro, but wasn't...)
What i was wondering about is, if anyone here that has seen them knows what Ken has sitting on top of the Nord? It looks like either some sort of a stompbox or maybe a SID, but I doubt that...

cheers!
"Destruction is not negative. you must destroy to build" - Blixa Bargeld

Synthprophet

Re: Just saw Crystal Method live

Post by Synthprophet » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:12 am

Woah I haven't been digging their music for a while now... didn't know they are out with a new album. Looks like I have something to catch up on. I think their website was infected with a virus some time ago.
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:47 am

Just saw them a couple weeks back at the Cleveland House of Blues. I saw:
Alesis Andromeda
New MicroKorg
MS-20
Nord Lead
Midi Controller (Axiom?) Hooked up to laptop.

I was extremely disappointed at their stage skills. I think everyone realizes that their music is too complex/processed to REALLY perform live, but they did a HORRIBLE job pretending to play.

One one part, the lead line was going UP the register, and Ken was playing DOWN the register on the Andromeda.

Another time, Ken was pretending to play the main part on the Andromeda, them left to play a fill part on the Nord. He didn't make it back to the Andy in time for the lead part to return, but it played for 4 measure by itself anyway. Nice try ;)

After that show, I wondered if they feel like idiots having to pretend to play their whole shows.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:01 pm

I saw them about 10 years ago at the Lizard Lounge here in Dallas. "Stage" was heavily backlit, so all you saw were the silhouettes of two guys and a pile of gear. Their playlist was pretty much the same order as their album and sounded EXACTLY like the album. I maneuvered closer to see if they were actually playing and could easily tell they were miming. Me and my buddy decided we were jipped and went to hand out in the chillout room. Lost all respect for them after that, never even bothered to check out their later material.

West_Berliner

Post by West_Berliner » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:22 pm

sensorium wrote:Just saw them a couple weeks back at the Cleveland House of Blues. I saw:
Alesis Andromeda
New MicroKorg
MS-20
Nord Lead
Midi Controller (Axiom?) Hooked up to laptop.

I was extremely disappointed at their stage skills. I think everyone realizes that their music is too complex/processed to REALLY perform live, but they did a HORRIBLE job pretending to play.

One one part, the lead line was going UP the register, and Ken was playing DOWN the register on the Andromeda.

Another time, Ken was pretending to play the main part on the Andromeda, them left to play a fill part on the Nord. He didn't make it back to the Andy in time for the lead part to return, but it played for 4 measure by itself anyway. Nice try ;)

After that show, I wondered if they feel like idiots having to pretend to play their whole shows.
I feel you on that one. I mean it is quite hard to get away with performing their stuff live, at least with only two of them, and triggering samples is also easier than having to potentially re-program everything, but I know what you mean, I caught them a few times doing what you mentioned. I did hear the nord a few times on its own, same with the A6, but mostly it was miming along to it. the midi controller (Axiom i believe) definitely triggered samples though :p
The thing is, I think it's mostly people that actually play music that pay attention to these things as much as we do that we can call them on it. most people there appeared to just be down for dancing for an hour and a half.

hmm it was a new microkorg. any idea what he had on top of his NL2? i was thinking it might be a RAT pedal, but I doubt it is...

Esus

Post by Esus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:14 pm

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:22 pm

I would rather watch them in front of some synths, than the DJ decks. Miming is what it is. Several of the great respected electronic musicians have done it too.
According to some videos, Scott has earlier used the NL2 for some nice distrorted solo improvisations.
Who used what gear? I thought Scott was the one who plays leads.
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

West_Berliner

Post by West_Berliner » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:27 pm

Synthprophet wrote:I would rather watch them in front of some synths, than the DJ decks. Miming is what it is. Several of the great respected electronic musicians have done it too.
According to some videos, Scott has earlier used the NL2 for some nice distrorted solo improvisations.
Who used what gear? I thought Scott was the one who plays leads.
that's true, very true :) it was still a pretty good show.
Scott played most of the synths, he played the NL2, A6, Origin and whatever else he had on his side (I think i saw a little phatty too?) while Ken mostly triggered samples with his M-Audio controller. Scott had more of the fun gear, although Ken did have an MS-20 in the back that he didn't touch once

lotus-eater

Post by lotus-eater » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:44 pm

Saw them about ten years ago in Toronto. Definitely some miming happening, but some actual performing as well. They dragged out the Jupiter 6 and had a go on it for one track. Sounded NICE. I have respect for anyone who can do electronic music live in a convincing manner. After giving it a go myself recently, I found the best I could manage was to play all my basslines, some leads, and just switch up drum patterns, and evolver sequences. Unless you're using some kind of looping device, there isn't much more that can be done with two hands and feet. And I'm really not a big fan of the clip firing 'live performance'. Unless the music is really outstanding, you better be doing something up there.