Now that's what i call a synthesizer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jupiter8

Now that's what i call a synthesizer

Post by jupiter8 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:07 pm

The Big Grp Synthesizer A8

Steve Jones

Re: Now that's what i call a synthesizer

Post by Steve Jones » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:28 am

I have been wondering if these things would actually make it into production, what a work of art.....
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:01 am

Woah.
soundcloud.com/vectron

blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Post by blitzdj86 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:11 am

what's the benefit of something like this over a modular?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:25 am

blitzdj86 wrote:what's the benefit of something like this over a modular?
Speed - no patch cables. Very quick to re-route by turning a switch instead of wading through patch points with cables. makes things a lot tidier also.

Recallability - with no patch cables you can print out the front panel chart from the website and easily make a recall sheet of your settings.

Tidiness - not having dozens of patch leads hanging over your controls.

It would be very fast to use in the way that a patchable modular is not, in that you can make and change sounds very quickly and cleanly. I have a very large .Com system, and I love it, but it would be massively slower to design on that the GRP synth, though the modular is of course more flexible. For live performance the GRP would eat a modular alive. Trying to put a patch lead in a socket with other leads obscuring the front panel, in a hurry, in the dark, in front of an audience... I would much prefer to grab a rotary control and just turn it.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:43 am

Hmm... has Ken Elhardt gone into video production? :lol:
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:30 am

The GRP Synthesizers are very Korg PS-3xxx in design. The A8 also looks like it has something similar to the Roland System-100M-182 sequencer module, but has far more scope and possibilities and there is a small patch bay to the bottom i see also. 6-OSC synth, very powerful indeed.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:53 am

Syn303 wrote:The GRP Synthesizers are very Korg PS-3xxx in design. The A8 also looks like it has something similar to the Roland System-100M-182 sequencer module, but has far more scope and possibilities and there is a small patch bay to the bottom i see also. 6-OSC synth, very powerful indeed.
Having owned a PS series before, I can see some cosmetic similarities, but electronically and functionally they couldn't be more different. The GRP has 6 VCO's in 2 channels going through 2 filters, effectively a pair of 3 oscillator mono synths. The smallest of the PS series, the PS3100 is completely polyphonic in a way that a Prophet 10 can only dream of... 48 voice polyphony, 48 VCO's, 48 VCF's, 48 envelope generators, in fact a complete 1 oscillator synthesiser for every key, and it's the baby of the three. The PS3300 triples this. Mind you, the envelopes in these machines are very limited, they did some amazing circuit design using very few components to get all that analogue circuitry to fit in there, and it shows up with some quite limited functionality compared to something like an MS-20 envelope.

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:56 am

The PS series uses divide down oscillator so the 3100 has 12 of them and the 3300 has 36 of them. Otherwise it's correct.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:02 pm

jupiter8 wrote:The PS series uses divide down oscillator so the 3100 has 12 of them and the 3300 has 36 of them. Otherwise it's correct.
I stand corrected... been few years since I sold mine. I remember now that the 3100 never sounded that fat because of the phase relationships between the octaves due to the dividing.

steveman

Post by steveman » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:52 pm

Steve Jones wrote:
Syn303 wrote:The GRP Synthesizers are very Korg PS-3xxx in design. The A8 also looks like it has something similar to the Roland System-100M-182 sequencer module, but has far more scope and possibilities and there is a small patch bay to the bottom i see also. 6-OSC synth, very powerful indeed.
The GRP has 6 VCO's in 2 channels going through 2 filters, effectively a pair of 3 oscillator mono synths.
Just looking at the details it not only has 6 oscs, but also 6 sub oscs(!), and actually 2 pairs of filters (2 each Moog & Obie style), plus just the 7(!) envelopes ...
Dread to think how much it costs, looks the business though. Sounds as thick and fat as Mr Fatty after a particularly large breakfast. :)

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:34 pm

Wow, this is crazy. I don't even want to know what it will cost if it goes into production.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:32 am

Steve Jones wrote: I remember now that the 3100 never sounded that fat because of the phase relationships between the octaves due to the dividing.
Still it's my favorite analog poly ever. And i 've had quite a few including the OB-X and the Prophet 5. Did'nt care at all for the OB-X. The Prophet 5 was quite nice but had nothing on the 3100 IMO.
Can't even imagine a PS 3300. Those must rule so hard it's not even funny.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:59 am

otto wrote:Wow, this is crazy. I don't even want to know what it will cost if it goes into production.
I can tell you :D 5,500 euros... more later! they are built to order. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem they are making the smaller A3 or A6 versions which could conceivably be vaguely "affordable". too bad.
Last edited by Sir Ruff on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Operatron

Post by Operatron » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:55 am

indeed :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!