Such a Shame theWavestation Didn't Have Resonant LP Filters!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jupiter8

Re: Such a Shame theWavestation Didn't Have Resonant LP Filters!

Post by jupiter8 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:15 am

Synthaholic wrote:
jupiter8 wrote:And what's so unconventional about the d50s filter ? Other than you can only use it on synth waveforms which is one of the biggest mysteries in synthland. Why on earth is that ?
Because it isn't a true filter, which takes an input signal and "filters" it (if it was, then it could work on the PCM waves). Instead, it's just part of the algorithm used to generate the saw/pulse waveforms. There's a block diagram shown in the D-50 manual. Whatever way they used to do it allowed them to implement resonance and keep it within the limited DSP power. It's also what gives the D-50 synth waveforms their distinctive sound.

There have been discussions in the past here about it...
Ok,that sounds really intriguing. I had no idea. Any chance anyone remembers the thread ? I've never heard about that before. That would certainly explain a lot.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:26 am

Sounds like it could be a kind of FM synthesis maybe? Like what Casio did in the CZ with the DCW.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:48 am

I had never thought about digital synths having such limited DSP that implementing something like a resonant filter would be difficult. So how did Yamaha do it with the SY77/99 which was released around the same time as the Wavestation?

steveman

Post by steveman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:24 pm

The SY77 came out 3 years after the D50, with the exponential increase in DSP power available it no doubt became easier to do. Of course at the same time Korg didn't seem to think resonant filters were a big deal...
Bear in mind as well Yamaha were custom designing their own LSI chips for DSP while many other manufacturers were using off the shelf (usually Motorola) DSPs.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:51 pm

I hate to say it but that's one of the things that eventually killed Ensoniq- they were using custom designed DSPs for everything and that began to hurt them.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:06 pm

steveman wrote: Bear in mind as well Yamaha were custom designing their own LSI chips for DSP while many other manufacturers were using off the shelf (usually Motorola) DSPs.
Is that a fact? Have you seen the inside of A korg from that era, such as the Wavestation? AFAIK Korgs have custom LSI also. I think it's more true that wave sequencing required a lot of DSP, so the compromise was to drop resonance.

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:53 am

madtheory wrote:Sounds like it could be a kind of FM synthesis maybe? Like what Casio did in the CZ with the DCW.
Yep that's what I think it is. I can hear echos of CZ in my D110 when I start fiddling with the 'filters' on a single partial. That's what I like about them, they have their own character - particularly that 'Soundtrack' preset, you don't get that sort of sound anywhere else.

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:55 am

madtheory wrote:
steveman wrote: Bear in mind as well Yamaha were custom designing their own LSI chips for DSP while many other manufacturers were using off the shelf (usually Motorola) DSPs.
Is that a fact? Have you seen the inside of A korg from that era, such as the Wavestation? AFAIK Korgs have custom LSI also. I think it's more true that wave sequencing required a lot of DSP, so the compromise was to drop resonance.
I think all the major companies were using custom chips for their digitals. The first Motorola DSP based one I recall was the Peavey DPM3.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:22 pm

Ha! One of the few good things about the Peavey was the filter. Really nice sounding.