Do you aknowledge the importance of dance music

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Re: Do you aknowledge the importance of dance music

Post by TrondC » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:28 am

I always thought electronic music was the only genere that truly knew no limits or borders, and took it's inspiration from just about any music. surely Kraftwerk is responsible for a lot of the 80's to present electronic music, but they again were influenced by the classical artists such as Bach etc. ("Switched on Bach" anyone? ;)) I say electronic music has no different roots than any other music (we are all inspired by music of the near or distant past), what sets it apart as so diverse is simply that the tools used to make electronic music allows for such an infinite way of expressing yourself.

oh, and this may be slightly away from the original topic, I'm on my way to work and couldn't read the whole thread atm..

mrfrisky330
Gear: DX7s, E403

Post by mrfrisky330 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:21 pm

Modern dance music is soul-less, essentially talentless as its all done by combining samples and pre-bought dum patterns on a PC in about 10 minutes (I know a guy who creates sample CDs and club music for a living he showed me how easy it is), so no that rubbish does not keep this site alive its killing the synths off!!

PLUS, they mostly use modern keyboards not synths, Yamaha have loads out so do Korg aimed at the musically inept er modern dance/techno enthusiast who just wants to press preset buttons.

This site exists because of the genre wide range or artist who used and PROGRAMMED synths to create new and original pieces of music the likes of Kraftwerk, Ultravox, Visage, Pet Shop Boys, Kate Bush and a whole host of 80/90ss artists (who wrote and played their own songs something or a dying art in modern pop) as well as the prog rockers like marillion/pink floyd/genesis etc etc. Even today you have talented modern players pushing the boundaries of what synths can do and why not? After all if the unofficial God of synth work Gary Newman is still selling lots of records and gigging over 20 years after the groundbreaking "cars" it shows good music is timeless.

Who really can remember any trance or animal house or drum n bass from 3 years ago?? Whats difficult about creating thump thump boom boom duh duh duh deh deh dar??

If you want to talk about true quality dance music, go listen to the guy who practically singlehandedly invented the modern genre (and had a DX7!) - Michael Jackson

mwbassguy
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mwbassguy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:28 pm

Yup, all you do is press a button and music comes out.
an avatar and a sig make one's posts more easily recognizable.

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:21 pm

He lost me at "God of synth work Gary Newman"!! =D> :laughing6:

redroomrecordings
Gear: Virus TI . Virus C . Blofeld . Maschine
Band: Distorted Memory / CAKEBUILDER

Post by redroomrecordings » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:35 am

mrfrisky330 wrote:Modern dance music is soul-less, essentially talentless as its all done by combining samples and pre-bought dum patterns on a PC in about 10 minutes (I know a guy who creates sample CDs and club music for a living he showed me how easy it is), so no that rubbish does not keep this site alive its killing the synths off!!

PLUS, they mostly use modern keyboards not synths, Yamaha have loads out so do Korg aimed at the musically inept er modern dance/techno enthusiast who just wants to press preset buttons.

This site exists because of the genre wide range or artist who used and PROGRAMMED synths to create new and original pieces of music the likes of Kraftwerk, Ultravox, Visage, Pet Shop Boys, Kate Bush and a whole host of 80/90ss artists (who wrote and played their own songs something or a dying art in modern pop) as well as the prog rockers like marillion/pink floyd/genesis etc etc. Even today you have talented modern players pushing the boundaries of what synths can do and why not? After all if the unofficial God of synth work Gary Newman is still selling lots of records and gigging over 20 years after the groundbreaking "cars" it shows good music is timeless.

Who really can remember any trance or animal house or drum n bass from 3 years ago?? Whats difficult about creating thump thump boom boom duh duh duh deh deh dar??

If you want to talk about true quality dance music, go listen to the guy who practically singlehandedly invented the modern genre (and had a DX7!) - Michael Jackson
yup and rock bands just play a few chords and get a producer to make it sound good.

hey smart guy, write a drum and bass track that would actually get pressed, go for it, its so easy. why don't you do it and make some extra money.

opinions like this just prove to me that the person knows nothing about music production.

troll?

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:50 am

mrfrisky330 wrote:
I would love to see some footage of the late Mr. Jackson playing a DX-7 (or any synth) for more than 10 seconds. I can't think I've ever seen him play an instrument - any instrument* with any degree of competence.

* His voice and/or a tambourine do not count. And he must be playing it, not miming.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:20 am

Methinx some folk need to distinguish good dance music from bad before slagging the whole movement off. :roll:

http://psychedelic-concentration-camp.c ... omatbc.htm

snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by snsr » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:44 am

mrfrisky330 wrote:Modern dance music is soul-less, essentially talentless as its all done by combining samples and pre-bought dum patterns on a PC in about 10 minutes (I know a guy who creates sample CDs and club music for a living he showed me how easy it is), so no that rubbish does not keep this site alive its killing the synths off!!

What? Why don't you stick to what you know, buddy. "Modern dance music" is a broad enough stroke that it's apparent you really don't have a f**k clue - do you make music? Do you put your soul into it? That's how you make soul music, man. What makes you think artists don't put their hearts into music that has f**k rhythm? Seems to me that maybe you need to see (and hear) a bit more before speaking on the topic. Or maybe just think first.
mrfrisky330 wrote: This site exists because of the genre wide range or artist who used and PROGRAMMED synths to create new and original pieces of music the likes of Kraftwerk, Ultravox, Visage, Pet Shop Boys, Kate Bush and a whole host of 80/90ss artists (who wrote and played their own songs something or a dying art in modern pop) as well as the prog rockers like marillion/pink floyd/genesis etc etc. Even today you have talented modern players pushing the boundaries of what synths can do and why not? After all if the unofficial God of synth work Gary Newman is still selling lots of records and gigging over 20 years after the groundbreaking "cars" it shows good music is timeless.

Who really can remember any trance or animal house or drum n bass from 3 years ago??
I do.
mrfrisky330 wrote: Whats difficult about creating thump thump boom boom duh duh duh deh deh dar??
MJ made sick beats.

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:22 am

When I hear "Modern DanceMusic" I think of- Subfocus, FerryCorsten, Benny Benassi, ect.. ect..
Good stuff IMO.

I think we loose sight of the main rule of thumb about music, and that's the reaction of the listeners. Every Show/Club iv been to, There's always been at least one or two songs with a phatt beat, that no mater what it gets you moving to it. Dance music is a wonderful thing, even if its simple to piece together.
Its existence is built around the instruments we use, So i embrace the DanceMusic movement.

As much as I love my new Hobby tooling with synths, and playing music. I would never gotten to this point, If I dint hear it first somewhere else. Maybe our modern methods of composing music, will spark new generations for something new we cant even fathom. who knows..

Its all musical evolution. :D
You cant Ignore my Techno! :lol:
Last edited by Old Iron Giant on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:42 am

Neonlights84 wrote:And now, for some great disco......
yeah, moroder rocks!

at least E=mc2 rocked :lol:

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:00 am

WHOA DEJA VU i was just listening to that song a day ago, i remember years ago i bought that album, and then i just listened to it again a day ago, then BAM.

those babes can trip on my synthesizer any time they want :D

suitandtieguy

Post by suitandtieguy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:55 pm

anyone who thinks dance music has no craft needs to watch this:

if you can't tell _why_ this is amazing, you don't know how to program a TR-909 and you should read up on it. what he's doing here is VERY VERY VERY HARD and he does it with the grace of Vangelis or Glenn Gould.
http://stgsoundlabs.com is where i sell things
http://suitandtieguy.com is my personal/music website
http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com is my LJ, no blogistan for STG yo.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:38 pm

Drum machine programming compared to Glenn Gould's piano playing?

That has a certain ring to it. Especially if I then conflate the analogies and picture Gould in his flat cap and scarf trying to coax a rhythm from a 909. Classic.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:08 pm

woah! I imagined a heavy pecentage on here that would be OG synth dudes that love toto and such.... rightly so, it is a vintage synth forum.

But what I wasn't expecting is that there are closed minded old folk still replicating the sound of oxygen whatever and wanking over it whilst hating and ignoring any music after their beloved era.

I am not old nor am I young and I love anything that has certain sounds/feel/progressiveness etc that turn me on whether it be classical stuff sixties/rock/metal/electronic/pop...... basically Music IS MUSIC regardless of stupid genre titles. These titles only limit people to stay in certain boundaries, what's wrong with sticking a donk on some post rock flemenco? (joke)

Grow up you old bastards and make some music rather than dancing in your pants with your Pro one playing the synth line in your favourite tune! (not pointed to anyone in particular but you know who you are)

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

well said, zoomtheline
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies