New Roland Juno-Di

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: New Roland Juno-Di

Post by braincandy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:29 pm

The key action on the lower-level M-series from Korg is awful, too.

I've also been bothered by the lightweight plastic casing in these types of synths. I've owned a Juno-G and an R3 and I hate to think what would have happened if they had ever been dropped or fallen off a stand.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:55 pm

they're marketing it as a "mobile synthesizer" so i have a weak hope it might be built nicely, the top looks metal which is cool, but what you see on the outside isn't everything either, they're saying it's very light which is just unsettling me :S

it's the microkorg all over again in a way for me, you have to treat the microkorg like a baby, really annoying.
but i guess there has to be some trade off for having a synth that nice sounding that fits vertically in a locker. ( i have a nice case).

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:21 pm

23 wrote: As has been noted, each version of the Fantom has fallen essentially into that Access similar mode, where each version had features that the previous did not.
i don't have too many problems with the big three in general, but when it comes to Roland and their Fantoms, -- and this is pure speculation on my part -- i always get the feeling they're purposely holding back on features with each revision. granted, a lot of companies are likely to do this to some degree, but with Roland, i imagine there's a team of designers sitting together somewhere, discussin what 50 features they could release in the next Fantom, and then planning out which 10 they actually will. the incremental improvements and upgrades always seem a little too well-metered, for my tastes.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:24 pm

killedaway wrote:
23 wrote: As has been noted, each version of the Fantom has fallen essentially into that Access similar mode, where each version had features that the previous did not.
i don't have too many problems with the big three in general, but when it comes to Roland and their Fantoms, -- and this is pure speculation on my part -- i always get the feeling they're purposely holding back on features with each revision. granted, a lot of companies are likely to do this to some degree, but with Roland, i imagine there's a team of designers sitting together somewhere, discussin what 50 features they could release in the next Fantom, and then planning out which 10 they actually will. the incremental improvements and upgrades always seem a little too well-metered, for my tastes.
Could be true. The original Fantoms were very limited and not comparable to other digital synthesizers from the time. And the jump from FantomX to FantomG was just too big. Added a lot of memory, 22 simultaneous FX, greater multitimbrality, more hands-on control, no gap in patch changing, new keys, mouse connectivity, and even the possibility to change between entire "projects" [all the synth's memory] through USB.

This is just another Juno....some good sounds on that vid, though.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:18 pm

killedaway wrote:
I doubt this, and only for one main reason, that being competition.
If Roland had some highly effective spy mission going on (which would require it's own finances no doubt), and could rest assured that their products would be able to hold down competition in the market for a considerable amount of time while they held back features, that's about the only way I'd see them doing it.
That said, are there technologies that they are working on that they don't immediately implement?
Of that, I wouldn't be surprised at all.
But then you have to count in areas of feasibility. In essence, how much horse power are they going to load into something while making sure they are able to maintain the piece at a workable sale price?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:58 pm

not to mention the control surface upgrades, the sliders and the screen!
i don't know yet if they do not want to sell a VA ARX card, or whether or not they can't. there is a big conspiracy theory among everyone (yes everyone ever) that roland doesn't want to release a VA arx card so people have to buy a v-synth. that seems like a crazy leap, people who can't get a synth ARX card won't just go and buy a v-synth.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:20 am

tekkentool wrote:not to mention the control surface upgrades, the sliders and the screen!
i don't know yet if they do not want to sell a VA ARX card, or whether or not they can't. there is a big conspiracy theory among everyone (yes everyone ever) that roland doesn't want to release a VA arx card so people have to buy a v-synth. that seems like a crazy leap, people who can't get a synth ARX card won't just go and buy a v-synth.
I don't know about a conspiracy like that. *LoL*
I mean Roland could release an ARX card along the lines of the 201, and that would not suddenly turn the Fantom into a V-Synth.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:25 am

the conspiracy is that if there is an anlogue modeling card for the fantom G, roland thinks no-one will buy a v-synth. the conspiracy is roland is just trying to protect the v-synth.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:34 am

23 wrote:I doubt this, and only for one main reason, that being competition.
If Roland had some highly effective spy mission going on (which would require it's own finances no doubt), and could rest assured that their products would be able to hold down competition in the market for a considerable amount of time while they held back features, that's about the only way I'd see them doing it.
as long as they spit out "upgraded" workstations more often than their competition and people still buy them, it ought to work out okay. i guess i never really stacked them side-by-side, but it sure feels like Roland refreshes their Fantom series more often than Korg's Triton/M3 or Yamha's Motif. admittedly, that could be looked on as a good thing, as long as one finds the frequency acceptable.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:12 am

4/5 years seems pretty decent to me.