JX-3P (midi expansion mod) + JX-8P with BCR2000

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Re: JX-3P (midi expansion mod) + JX-8P with BCR2000

Post by Yatmandu » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:14 pm

Cool, at least I have a way of doing it natively now. If I get tired of firing up Matrix 2001 on the PC, I'll try your method. There was a nice drehbank/matrix demo on youtube. Was that you?

psionic11
Gear: -Fusion 8HD/6HD, Micron, X guitar, VFX-SD
-Ex5r, WSA1r, DD65, Performance Pad
-BCF, FCB, ExpressionMate, VF1, BC3
-(past) Juno 106, DW8000, Fantom Xa

Post by psionic11 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:26 pm

First post to the forum, hey all. Guess this is where all the hardware synth geeks hang out? :wink:

Glad to see the BCR being put to great uses here. Quick question: after tweaking and arriving at a good patch via the BCR, is there a way to permanently save that patch, other than as a preset within the BCR itself? Or can you simply hit "store" on your synth and it saves the tweaked parameters as a new patch? Thanks.

Yatmandu

Post by Yatmandu » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:10 pm

psionic11 wrote:First post to the forum, hey all. Guess this is where all the hardware synth geeks hang out? :wink:

Glad to see the BCR being put to great uses here. Quick question: after tweaking and arriving at a good patch via the BCR, is there a way to permanently save that patch, other than as a preset within the BCR itself? Or can you simply hit "store" on your synth and it saves the tweaked parameters as a new patch? Thanks.
Hi and welcome! I would think that any synth that can accept BCR as a controller should have a save function for the patch that was just created. It definitely can be done on Matrix 6R and MoPho. Chaning a param via BCR should, in theory, be no different than if you manually did it on the synth itself, and so you should be able to save it on the synth.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:48 pm

psionic11 wrote:First post to the forum, hey all. Guess this is where all the hardware synth geeks hang out? :wink:

You DO NOT save the synth patches on the BCR. You only save control presets on the BCR, that is what I meant about switching between presets (that means between the prest for JX-3p and the preset for JX-8p control). All sound storage is done on the synth as usual, this is just a box of knobs to tweak the synth. The bcr has a number of 'slots' to store the correct settings/set-up for whichever synths you use it for and those are what I meant by BCR presets.

Yatmandu

Post by Yatmandu » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:20 pm

Pro5 wrote:

You DO NOT save the synth patches on the BCR. You only save control presets on the BCR, that is what I meant about switching between presets (that means between the prest for JX-3p and the preset for JX-8p control). All sound storage is done on the synth as usual, this is just a box of knobs to tweak the synth. The bcr has a number of 'slots' to store the correct settings/set-up for whichever synths you use it for and those are what I meant by BCR presets.
Theoretically (if you wanted to) you could use each BCR preset "page" to store the exact settings of the knob values for a particular synth which is basically a patch. The reason this works is that the BCR remembers the values of the encoders when you save a preset. So, for instance, BCR P1 = MoPho patch 1, BCR P2 = MoPho patch 2, etc...but that would be a huge waste of BCR pages, but possible if you only want to control one synth.

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Yatmandu wrote:Cool, at least I have a way of doing it natively now. If I get tired of firing up Matrix 2001 on the PC, I'll try your method. There was a nice drehbank/matrix demo on youtube. Was that you?

Yup

psionic11
Gear: -Fusion 8HD/6HD, Micron, X guitar, VFX-SD
-Ex5r, WSA1r, DD65, Performance Pad
-BCF, FCB, ExpressionMate, VF1, BC3
-(past) Juno 106, DW8000, Fantom Xa

Post by psionic11 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:22 am

Yatmandu wrote:
Pro5 wrote:

Theoretically (if you wanted to) you could use each BCR preset "page" to store the exact settings of the knob values for a particular synth which is basically a patch. The reason this works is that the BCR remembers the values of the encoders when you save a preset. So, for instance, BCR P1 = MoPho patch 1, BCR P2 = MoPho patch 2, etc...but that would be a huge waste of BCR pages, but possible if you only want to control one synth.
Aye, this is exactly what I was referring to, while hoping that there would be an easier way to simply store the tweaks into a new patch. As Pro5 pointed out, which makes sense looking back at it, all the changes you've made from the BC have immediate effect within the synth itself, so you just save the cumulative changes as a new patch within the synth itself.

Too bad it's not as straightforward with the Micron/Ion, as it uses negative NRPN values.

I had high hopes of putting my BCF into my MIDI chain and, using the several MIDI mergers (BCF, FCB, ExpressionMate), being able to use the BCF as a controller to tweak (live) several synths/workstations while also using those same workstations as Master controllers in the rig. I'm almost there, but I'm wracking my left-brain logical senses trying to squeeze maximum effect from minimal gear.

Anyways, glad to hear vintage gear joining the modern age via the BCF/BCR. I never should have sold my first keyboard, my beloved Juno 106, just to pay off an old college fraternity debt. What better synth to learn how to program on and play rhythm guitar parts for Iron Maiden, Dio, Van Halen, and Rush? The stupid things we sometimes do...

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:04 am

Yatmandu wrote: Theoretically (if you wanted to) you could use each BCR preset "page" to store the exact settings of the knob values for a particular synth which is basically a patch. The reason this works is that the BCR remembers the values of the encoders when you save a preset. So, for instance, BCR P1 = MoPho patch 1, BCR P2 = MoPho patch 2, etc...but that would be a huge waste of BCR pages, but possible if you only want to control one synth.
Why are you telling me what I already know? And yes that would be a waste of a BCR and still much better to do it on synth like any sane person would. It may be good for synths without on board patch storage though. Either way it's not (as I understood) what the other guy was asking for clarification on.

Yatmandu

Post by Yatmandu » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:02 pm

Pro5 wrote:
Yatmandu wrote: Theoretically (if you wanted to) you could use each BCR preset "page" to store the exact settings of the knob values for a particular synth which is basically a patch. The reason this works is that the BCR remembers the values of the encoders when you save a preset. So, for instance, BCR P1 = MoPho patch 1, BCR P2 = MoPho patch 2, etc...but that would be a huge waste of BCR pages, but possible if you only want to control one synth.
Why are you telling me what I already know? And yes that would be a waste of a BCR and still much better to do it on synth like any sane person would. It may be good for synths without on board patch storage though. Either way it's not (as I understood) what the other guy was asking for clarification on.
J.C. how t.f. am supposed I to know what you already know? That's a bit presumptuous, no? The one thing I do know is that psionic11 (AKA the other guy) was quite fine with what I wrote.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Yatmandu wrote:
Pro5 wrote:
J.C. how t.f. am supposed I to know what you already know? That's a bit presumptuous, no? The one thing I do know is that psionic11 (AKA the other guy) was quite fine with what I wrote.
It's cos you quoted me, i was having an argument with the missus at the time so I apologise ;)

Yatmandu

Post by Yatmandu » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:06 pm

ok, no worries m8... I'm bad with the quoting gizmo, and I meant to answer psionic, not you. One thing I do know is what a fight with the missus is like :twisted:

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:39 pm

aredj wrote:
Yatmandu wrote:Cool, at least I have a way of doing it natively now. If I get tired of firing up Matrix 2001 on the PC, I'll try your method. There was a nice drehbank/matrix demo on youtube. Was that you?

Yup
hey i saw that demo. and i can almost say it made me buy the synth. i was considering it and when i saw you could program it like that i made a phone call and it was a deal. i didnt managed to set it up for myself though. :oops:

is it easier with the dreabank? does it work differently to create your template

p.s. i also liked the sound you got out of it in the demo.

aredj
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:05 pm

Thanks... as mentioned it was pretty random and aimless. I wish I played with the envelopes more... :p

The drehbank is cool and fairly easy to program, but can be expensive (discontinued - well, they were expensive new..)

I like it because its not endless encoders - so it works well by feel. It has its quirks.

The BCR takes some knowhow to program the sysex, but by no means impossible. Alot more versatile then the drehbank.

If anyone needs some specific help or directions - Im into sharing what I know... or providing the tools..

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi all,
I've read this whole thread and it's been most useful! I'm really interested in combining the JX8P and the BCR2000. From what you all have written I'm gathering I can do this just by connecting the two via MIDI? I'm really trying to avoid bringing a computer into the mix. I appreciate your help.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

aredj
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:32 pm

You will possibly need a computer to program the behringer first.. unless the learn function actually works for you.. sometimes does, or not.