Do your synth desires ever get the better of you?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Polyroy

Do your synth desires ever get the better of you?

Post by Polyroy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:44 am

?
Last edited by Polyroy on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Do your synth desires ever get the better of you?

Post by Z » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:56 am

Many of us flip gear to support our habbits.

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:57 am

Buying synths is a really fun hobby, you get to try out many great instruments!
Im my case I buy at bargain price, keep the keepers, and sell the rest.

to do this :

A : you have to have lots of disposable income.
B : you have to buy low.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:51 am

I use my gear to make music, which makes me money. I can then claim what I've spent as a tax deduction and use the money I've made to buy whatever I want. -> Profit!

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:01 am

I'm terrible at saving money but I can have a lot of quickly disposable capital if the need arises (stockpiling old rare records since I was 12.)

Locally, I'll buy anything if it's a really good deal just to flip it later. There have been lots of things I've bought for $50 then later sold for $2-$300 or for $100 and flipped for $5-$600.

Online, it's gotta be something that I think I will actually like and use because you are paying shipping, customs etc.. But a good deal is a good deal.

But I get your point about always collecting things that are tiny and never saving up for a big most wanted one.

However, if you buy a lot of tiny things, especially at a good price then you can sell them all at once to buy the big nice thing if you need to later.

Just don't buy anything new. Otherwise, you can start losing money fast if you want or have to suddenly sell things.
Last edited by plikestechno on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

Rangoon

Post by Rangoon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:22 am

Polyroy wrote:I myself fall into the category of buying for the sake of buying at times...
It's a thrill...an addiction just like gambling, alcohol, etc. The high is usually just as big for cheaper items as it is for expensive items. That's why you tend to want to blow your money sooner and more frequent, rather than saving it for something bigger....

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:48 am

I work my a*s off for money, then when I see something I want I plan my finances around the gear I want...
Its perpetual debt, but I got alot of cool stuff...
‹‡›

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:15 am

I can't resist a bargain. And with the price of s/h synths compared to what they were in the 90s, you can go soon acquire a s**t-ton of gear for what would have bought one item back then.

The more you get though, the more of a headache you have with the logistics of accommodating it and connecting it all up sensibly.

Latest gear lust for me, I started listening to some demos of a TG500 and started thinking, they're 'only' 100 quid! But I have enough synths!

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:52 am

I've been finding it increasingly harder to resist buying an MEK, even though I need to save around $2000 for the first few months rent for an apartment...
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:22 am

i spend all money i have as soon as i have it

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:10 am

rockmanrock wrote:I can't resist a bargain. And with the price of s/h synths compared to what they were in the 90s, you can go soon acquire a s**t-ton of gear for what would have bought one item back then.

The more you get though, the more of a headache you have with the logistics of accommodating it and connecting it all up sensibly.

Latest gear lust for me, I started listening to some demos of a TG500 and started thinking, they're 'only' 100 quid! But I have enough synths!
Hey I sold my TG-500 for just over £100 back in 1999... and replaced with an SY85 just last year for less, even if it has less polyphony (and raw waves) I have a lot more fun from it.. and at one point in the 90s the TG-500 was my one and only workhorse and it did everything in multi-mode (A beast of a module back then). Now I love just playing the SY85 when I'm a songwriting mood (rather than a tweaking/sequencer mood as I am with some of the other synths).

slight O/T there sorry.

I always have in mind what synth I'd love to try next and rarely deviate into buying things just because they are cheap. The only time I've done this was with the Korg M1 but it was VERY cheap (in fact it was free now with what I made selling off the cards that came with it). So I'll 'flip' that eventually and put the money back in the pot to buy a synth I really want to try (a polysix? mono/poly? Roland SH-2/sh09? Crumar performer etc)... I've given up dreaming of a Jupiter 8 so while my money builds up I scan adverts etc and IF something comes up at what I consider my buying point I may buy even if it was originally way down the list (JX-8P case in point, wasn't actively looking for one at the time I saw it but it was local and relatively cheap and I always wanted one to try out with the 3P being a JX fan).

So for me I keep my options open and never say never (because bargains will pop up) but I try and keep to my masterplan of not needing that many synths as once.

I was also 50/50 about an an1x. I knew I didn't NEED one but I was desiring one and played the long game with that (it's my latest synth) and I bought not fully convinced at the time but very glad I did as it's easily one of my favourites now. Sometimes it's worth a chance if you buy LOW or even at 'average' price - just don't pay stupid prices.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:49 am

yeah i know what you mean. if there is sth locally, if it is nice (i.e. analog) and if i have the money, probability that i'll buy it is rather high. problem is here in switzerland (or generally europe) it is much harder to find stuff that one can actually pick up and try it out... im not much of a shipping fan...

e.g., i got a ms10 just because i didnt want someone else to get it that cheap and it was in my city :)

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:21 am

Yeah, I sort of wish I wouldn't have had bought my Korg EX-800 (An unhappy Poly-800 buyer? Now that's news). I even paid the "buy now!" -price, hah. Back when I bought it I just wanted to be able to play some non-monophonic stuff without having to use a rompler or a softsynth. I guess I should have had sold it already. It's just that half of the presets got erased when I used it together with the Samchillian software controller (?) - and I haven't bothered yet to try loading the factory presets through the tape inputs.

The problem especially with polysynths tends to be that all the ones really worth attaining go for outrageous prices these days, or just aren't usually available anywhere near your local area. So you'll just get some basic DCO stuff "for the moment being". "It's not fully analog, but it's the next best thing!".

30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Post by 30h5 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:24 am

I keep my eye out for low prices on ebay and craigslist since there really isn't anything too cheap local and I will sell it to fund something better. For example, in the beginning of the year, I bought an AN1x for $280 after all was said and done (which I had planned on keeping at the time) and eventually sold it for $450 to help fund my v-synth when that came up for cheap. I definately would like a few other synths out there and I wonder if I would get more music done with some of them as it always seems like I need one more thing to aid me. I even have thoughts of trying to get back my first synth because I used it more when it was the only one I had and actually made recordings with it compared to having the 4-5 synths I have now and not making much music. There are also times when I want to get rid of everything and start over with new gear, but I would have a real hard time letting my SH-2 and FRXS go. Eh, so it goes.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:10 pm

I buy and sell a lot, but also save money...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad