Do your synth desires ever get the better of you?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Re: Do your synth desires ever get the better of you?

Post by iProg » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:22 pm

I have a hard time stop buying gear. IN the new studio there is limited space, which is good for my wallet. I'm now saving my money for a Prophet VS or Oberheim OB...

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:14 pm

Right now I'm trying to save up for a modular and it's actually quite painful. I see all these ok deals on the used marked and I'm craving for that synth fix but I need to stay strong and save the money.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:26 pm

I do the flipping thing to support my bad habits. It’s a great way to try a bunch of stuff and make some money. Of course what you buy to flip can be completely random and usually is not exactly what you are looking for. When I do buy something specifically because I want it I still try to get the best price possible and usually don’t buy new. Actually flipping, buying and selling has helped me reduce my desire for new gear as have a better idea of what I want and don’t want. Now I just need to get the nagging Andromeda, Telemark and new SEM out of my mind.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:28 pm

I seem to have developed a similar habit... but with a twist... and slightly less expensive... I've been madly buying decent vintage gear as "spares or repair" on the cheap and then restoring it to working order to add to my collection. This has kept me entertained for years now and there is nothing more satisfying than making a nice old piece of gear go again and vastly improving how it looks to boot. My last project was completely dismantling, cleaning, repairing and updating an old Emulator II which is now pride of place in my studio. Before that it was a dead DW8000 which is now looking and sound great, a dead Prophet 2002 which now looks and works wonderfully, an ARP Omni-2 which was a nightmare to fix but now it's got midi it's worth real money and my poor old Juno-106 which is now great but has had tons of work done on it.

My next proposed restoration project is absolutely immense... ;)

Polyroy

Post by Polyroy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:05 pm

Last edited by Polyroy on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:48 am

HideawayStudio wrote: My next proposed restoration project is absolutely immense... ;)
:shock:

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:57 am

Polyroy wrote:Do your synth desires ever get the better of you?
Used to. Usually ended up just being a phase, and passed without purchase. I don't spend enough time with my studio to get bored of it, and try to enjoy the pieces I have. A few of the items I've since modded, so they're not being sold, ever.
Only two in my collection I had real gearlust for were the JP8 and Polivox. Everything else I want costs too much now, thanks in no small part to sellers trying to make a profit, the buyers getting bored of it and repeating the cycle, increasing the cost each time.(pending demand, of course) I'll have no part in such depravity, thank you.
I don't have the room for much else anyway.

In fact, once I stopped letting GAS get the upper-hand, I actually enjoyed the gear I have now more. IMO, these machines are, for the most part, too fragile and old now to be tossed around the globe at the whim of producers just looking for the next cool noise. Do your research, find something that you really love, and stick with it.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

sure did

Post by vin14 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:39 pm

Back in the 90s I hired a korg prophecy and emu orbit 9090 with a view to buying one of them. I ended up buying both and eventually selling both. I really should have bought neither but I had to have them!

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:52 pm

hello. my name is Rhino... I am a synthaholic.

I tried to get help after that nasty Ebay incident, but then I met Craig and his damned list.......

one synth at a time used to satisfy me for a while, but now...

I buy broken synths in pairs, fix them both but only sell one: I hide the other in the basement for myself.

my wife would leave me if she knew how many kilo-dollars of our retirement money have been spent on my hoard.

but when she is asleep and the urges come, there's my JX-10, SQ-80, AX-80 and all the others she thinks were sold...

wait: i hear my new CS20m calling me....
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

roland4387
Gear: TB-303(x's 2), EML 101, System 100 Model 101, TR-808 & 606, SH-2, ARP Odyssey MKII, Korg MS-20, Xbase999, Korg KMS-30, SBX-80, Future Retro Mobius

Post by roland4387 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:57 pm

I often consider nominating myself for the TV show Intervention. I want to be the first person that requires rehab due to my rabid synth buying habit. Without a new piece of gear about every 2-3 weeks I get the :shaking:

But in all seriousness, I used to have quite an analog studio 12-15 years ago when I was around 20, but an old co-worker broke into my house and cleaned me out. Not one piece was recoverable since he had a buyer already lined up to take my gear off HIS hands. There's more to the story which will remain, a secret. I was literally so dejected that I never thought about buying another piece of gear until a buddy talked me into buying an EMX. He swore that it would be all that I needed to keep me happy without breaking the bank. Bad, bad idea! Over the last 15 months I've gone absolutely nuckin' futs, as you can see, and that doesn't count all the gear I've sold in that time frame.

*Note - Even with my addiction I'm still able to put away money in the bank. Thanks for retiring dad and giving me your position!!! :D

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:52 pm

I can't help buying a synth or keyboard when a good deal comes along. The house got so full I had to rent a storage unit. Now the storage unit is full so I keep keyboards in my car, at rehearsal places, friends houses, and my mom's house. I haven't been broke enough where I've had to sell anything so it's piled up over the years. And that's just the keyboards. I also have a lot of guitars and amps. I've really been trying to stop. I haven't bought anything on eBay for over a year. I did buy a vintage keyboard for $100 off CraigsList a couple of days ago, but I swear it will be the last one for a long time. This might seem strange, but out of everything I have the only keyboard I'm using a lot right now is the Casio WK-3800.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:09 am

Do your synth desires ever get the better of you?
All the time....
Iv been doing better with saving my money, and holding out on Impulse buys. :roll:
What id like to know, is where do some of you find these awesome bargain-prices on Synths.
Fill me in on your secrets :wink:

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:01 am

my problem is buying too many money-pit synths. All of my old stuff is just racking up repair bills.

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:31 am

I like trying lot's of stuff, but lately I haven't had the desire to buy anything in a while. If I came across a good enough deal, I would buy just about anything. I know that if I want something I will do what it takes to get it. The setup I have right now is basically here to stay. I will probably keep what I have for a long time because I have done a lot of research and familiarized myself with what's out there. The only synths I'm actually jonesing for are a .com modular, Minimoog, Jupiter-6, and of course GX-1/CS-80.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:53 am

V301H wrote:I can't help buying a synth or keyboard when a good deal comes along. The house got so full I had to rent a storage unit. Now the storage unit is full so I keep keyboards in my car, at rehearsal places, friends houses, and my mom's house. I haven't been broke enough where I've had to sell anything so it's piled up over the years. And that's just the keyboards. I also have a lot of guitars and amps. I've really been trying to stop. I haven't bought anything on eBay for over a year. I did buy a vintage keyboard for $100 off CraigsList a couple of days ago, but I swear it will be the last one for a long time. This might seem strange, but out of everything I have the only keyboard I'm using a lot right now is the Casio WK-3800.
I'll gladly hold on to a few of your boards, if you don't mind me playing them :wink: :lol: