Poll: your musical influence for interest in synthesizers

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Of the 2 choices below, which is/was your primary influence for your interest in synthesizers

EDM (Electronic Dance Music) and all of its sub-genres to include ambient (EDM based), acid, techno, detroit, house, rave, jungle, d&b, minimal, dub/step, trance, etc. etc.
20%
Any other form of music (everything else - pop, rock, hip-hop, indie, punk, post-punk, wave, synth-pop, soundtracks, krautrock, classic rock, prog-rock, post-rock, sound effects, ambient (non-EDM, such as Eno), experimental, industrial, metal, etc. etc.
80%

Total votes: 193

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Poll: your musical influence for interest in synthesizers

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:56 am

Tchammosaur wrote:As if the original poster weren't in enough trouble, I'd like to say I feel like there is an unspoken judgement about "dance music" being "non-experimental" and "generic" in the original poll. I for one despise that judgement. When someone makes a track with a heavy kick drum it doesn't necessarily mean that anything before it has sounded like it, or at least not more similar than two different jazz tracks from the 60's.
Also, it implies that people dance to all the genres in the first group. Ever been to a dubstep night? Ain't nobody dancing there. :D

Also how is pop not 'electronic dance music'? It's usually 100% make electronically with synths and samplers and lots of people dance to it.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:30 pm

balma wrote:Yeah, I know is gay, but Relax will kick asses forever!
Truer words never spoken. Trevor Horn is a genius!

I voted for the second option because I'm more into 80's pop synth usage than anything else. That, and old disco/funk tunes, is where my love for synthesisers stems from. The only modern electronic "dance" music I can generally tolerate is house, and that's because it's hugely influenced by disco.

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:21 pm

I guess VSE is made up of 80% crusty old grognards and 20% svelt dancing machines :lol: \:D/ :rr:

steveman

Post by steveman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:59 pm

You're poll makes me a svelte crusty dancing grognard... :rr:

mute

Post by mute » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:32 pm

This poll is too limiting and i refuse to participate. :P

Also, "EDM" is just as annoying a term as Electronica. Pigeonholing c**p the lot of it!

Yatmandu

Post by Yatmandu » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:49 pm

steveman wrote:You're poll makes me a svelte crusty dancing grognard... :rr:
:lol: good name for a band!

redroomrecordings
Gear: Virus TI . Virus C . Blofeld . Maschine
Band: Distorted Memory / CAKEBUILDER

Post by redroomrecordings » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:42 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Tchammosaur wrote:As if the original poster weren't in enough trouble, I'd like to say I feel like there is an unspoken judgement about "dance music" being "non-experimental" and "generic" in the original poll. I for one despise that judgement. When someone makes a track with a heavy kick drum it doesn't necessarily mean that anything before it has sounded like it, or at least not more similar than two different jazz tracks from the 60's.
Also, it implies that people dance to all the genres in the first group. Ever been to a dubstep night? Ain't nobody dancing there. :D
i'm not sure if you are being sarcastic but i've definitely seen people going f**k mental, jumping around and dancing to dubstep.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:37 am

Yatmandu wrote:I guess VSE is made up of 80% crusty old grognards and 20% svelt dancing machines :lol: \:D/ :rr:
I suppose if you think that a genre that is getting near 30 and hit it's prime 15 years ago is is for the young and svelt...

I listen to a lot of newer music (some of it even EDM but most not)... I don't see how age is a factor. Most EDM hasn't aged well IMNSHO...
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:43 am

mute wrote:This poll is too limiting and i refuse to participate. :P

Also, "EDM" is just as annoying a term as Electronica. Pigeonholing c**p the lot of it!
Some could argue that many sub-genres of EDM don't really deserve their own name as they really aren't that much different.

You have a huge disparity between many bands that fall under the genre of krautrock. Some were electronic, some were semi-electronic and some weren't electronic at all, featuring more "traditional" rock instrumentation.

Change the tempo and add reverb and you've spawned a new genre of techno... :?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:48 am

Ahh, don't worry about me. I like stirring s**t up... God knows this forum needs something lately...

I think you read too much into it. I guess I don't see how I implied that dance music was non-experimental/generic.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:53 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:

Also how is pop not 'electronic dance music'? It's usually 100% make electronically with synths and samplers and lots of people dance to it.
I mostly used the term EDM because it was being used as the umbrella term for the other umbrella term "techno", which people would have bitched about as well... You can dance or not dance to all kinds of music (that doesn't mean it was inspired by the umbrella genres that are "techno/EDM"). I thought we already cover this???

I hate to think you take any genre/name that belongs to "those people" seriously... I mean Hardcore? Taken. Ambient? Taken. If you can even say intelligent dance music with a straight face I'll buy you a beer. It's unfortunate some really great bands get slandered with that idiotic genre name.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:40 am

I'm stuck between because I have influence from both sides about 50/50. If it has synth sounds in it, I'm good 8)
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:24 pm

one of my main concerns: to play like him someday
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Yatmandu

Post by Yatmandu » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:03 am

otto wrote:
Yatmandu wrote:I guess VSE is made up of 80% crusty old grognards and 20% svelt dancing machines :lol: \:D/ :rr:
I suppose if you think that a genre that is getting near 30 and hit it's prime 15 years ago is is for the young and svelt...

I listen to a lot of newer music (some of it even EDM but most not)... I don't see how age is a factor. Most EDM hasn't aged well IMNSHO...
90% of everything does not age well, you just need to listen to the 10% that might or has, regardless of genre. To quote Collins & Gabriel "I know what I like, and I like what I know..."

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:19 am

Some amazing s**t has come out of EDM. I'm not a huge fan, because of lots of reasons...First off I think it's played WAY too loud at clubs...I digress. I think it, to me is akin to death metal. A lot of the players in death metal will amaze you with some stuff they pull off, but I don't think it's "worth a trip into the mine to get the gold nuggets".

Great poll, though.

S.
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x