Poll: your musical influence for interest in synthesizers

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Of the 2 choices below, which is/was your primary influence for your interest in synthesizers

EDM (Electronic Dance Music) and all of its sub-genres to include ambient (EDM based), acid, techno, detroit, house, rave, jungle, d&b, minimal, dub/step, trance, etc. etc.
20%
Any other form of music (everything else - pop, rock, hip-hop, indie, punk, post-punk, wave, synth-pop, soundtracks, krautrock, classic rock, prog-rock, post-rock, sound effects, ambient (non-EDM, such as Eno), experimental, industrial, metal, etc. etc.
80%

Total votes: 193

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Re: Poll: your musical influence for interest in synthesizer

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:39 am

sonny1 wrote:Some amazing s**t has come out of EDM. I'm not a huge fan, because of lots of reasons...First off I think it's played WAY too loud at clubs...I digress. I think it, to me is akin to death metal. A lot of the players in death metal will amaze you with some stuff they pull off, but I don't think it's "worth a trip into the mine to get the gold nuggets".

Great poll, though.

S.
i would like to take a post to ressurect this thread because it was suggested in that litle box that sometimes apears at the bottom of the screen containing similar posts, and i diddn't realize it was so old. anyway, the poll is average at best, and both terms "edm" and "electronica" are meaningless s**t. it's like calling religion in india "hinduism." also, if this song let alone the band 'death' were the only gold nuggets deathmetal had to offer, the trip to the mine would still be worth it.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Rosskey

Post by Rosskey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:32 am

Well I'd probably go back to the early eighties to answer this topic question, both Quiet life-Japan and Planet Earth Duran Duran brought my attention to Synths. Ah, the aural delights of arpeggio's and swirling effects..now just trying to re-create the effects. :roll:
Current: Roland SH-201, RS-70, XP-30, XP-50, D-50 w/ PG-1000
Previous:Yamaha SY22, Yamaha AN1X, Roland MC-303, Alpha Juno 1,Casio CZ-1000 First: Yamaha MKS100 1983/4

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:42 am

One word: Jump. :P
bonne chance

ImperatorDX

Post by ImperatorDX » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:30 pm

I chose everything else than hip-hop.
My music and instrument demos: ImperatorDX

Elandroth
Gear: Nord Lead 2X, DSI MEK PE, Roland D-50/Juno-60/TR-707, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio CZ-5000, Elektron MD UW+

Post by Elandroth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:01 pm

NIN is what sparked some sincere interest, and I got my Nord Lead 2x because of a Keyboard mag article about sound design during The Fragile recording sessions, I can't remember who (maybe Charlie Clouser) said that the Nord Lead was Trent's first stop when he had a new idea he wanted to flesh out. After I got my synth I started listening to more music with synth in it, and the music I already liked I started paying a LOT more attention to the synth parts instead of guitar. I never gave Depeche Mode the time of day ever in my life, but earlier this year when I got some older 80s stuff, I started feeling like I needed to explore some of the music that was made in that era a lot more, and now I love Depeche Mode. ^_^

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:37 pm

I wish I could say there was one thing that influenced me, but I think it was everything I listened to my whole life. When I was really young, my father used to listen to 50's and 60's music (especially Motown), which I loved as a child. I also grew up in the 80s where I fell in love with New Wave. I also went throuh a Hair Metal Phase :? ....as well as a grunge phase. I also went through a Industrial/Goth phase as well (and I still go out to industrial/goth clubs once in a great while). I think everything influence me, and made me what to get into music. I started out with a guitar, but I just didn't really have fun with it, but I really wanted to make music. So I asked myself, out of all of the music that I have listened what do I identify with the most? I found that I really loved New Wave and Industrial/Goth. I thought it would be fun to try and create/recreate sounds on a synth, and it has been fun. I also like it because it is an endless cycle of learning. I always seem to find something new that I couldn't do before, and that makes the whole process exciting. I also like that fact that I can produce just about any genre of music with synths, and I can do it by myself without have a band to fight with all the time. So if I wanted to, I could make Oldie's, 80s, Industrial, Goth, etc. on my synths and never get bored. I really think that is why I am drawn to them...not because of a certain type of music, but because of every type of music I like.

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:29 pm

Any other form of music got me into synths. EDM may be one of the reasons why it took so long.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:52 pm

john carpenter, pink floyd, tears for fears, and brian eno.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

Newtown
Gear: microKORG
Yamaha PSR-15
mini-KP
Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler
Boss DR-770
Band: Datavis

Post by Newtown » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:11 pm

I'd say both, actually.

I like anything as long as it sounds good, while my music project (which still hasn't gotten off the ground yet, lol) touches on minimal techno, ambient, drone, sound art, etc. Experimental and pretty much all over the place. Probably won't be all that good either. We'll see.
http://datavis.bandcamp.com/ is for Datavis releases.
http://soundcloud.com/datavis/ is for everything else.
http://penguinchan.org/will/ is my personal site.

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:41 pm

For me it was electronic dance music. A lot of the sounds seemed to be so abstract and otherworldy that I was immediately drawn in by the filter sweeps and other subtleties of synths. I must say that Depeche Mode was an influence too. They had some very catchy synth melodies back in the day.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:50 pm

KNIGHT RIDER THEME

GHOST BUSTERS song

ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK song

These music always intrigued me as a child. Those sounds are so good. I do not understand why I made of relation of those songs with the future and "cool" things.

But the day I watched DEPECHE MODE live on 1994, I decided I needed a synth very badly.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:20 am

Not sure how I missed this thread last year. In chronological order of disparate years up to 1989 the biggest influences were:
  • "Love will keep us together" by The Captain & Tennille at age 3
  • "Rockit" by Herbie Hancock (which got me into electro funk/soul) at age 10
  • Commodore 64 SID tunes at age 14
  • Live radio broadcasts from Club 6400 in Houston, Texas in 1988-1989 at age 15-16
Honorable mention goes to:
  • Chris Granner's FM synthesis soundtracks for Williams pinball machines (age 14-17)
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:47 am

Detroit Techno was the genre that first got me interested in music in general: as in taking an active interest rather than just background noise. Still love it to this day. :)

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:21 pm

If I was going to redo this poll, I'd probably divide EDM into the general categories of hip-hop/rap, house/techno, trance, and downbeat/ambient. And then I'd add synth pop, experimental, and old-school/pre-1980 as other categories. I think the reason the OP put it that way was that he was interested specifically into how many people got into synths via dance-oriented vs. non-dance-oriented music.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!