repair success stories

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

repair success stories

Post by pflosi » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:00 pm

i've been thinking bout this for a while, i think it's a good idea to collect our experiences with broken or rather not minty synths. I thought this should be done specifically for individual synths, so we have a list to see what common problems are on common synths (e.g., everyone knows the ju106 chip issues...). this could maybe become some kinda sticky or sth.

i originally intended to wait with this till i have some synths repaired :), but i'm bored so i'm posting it now to see what we get.

so... i really hope to benefit from doing this:
replacing battery on juno 60 and polysix. i've read dying batteries can also influence the sound, not only kill patches and spill acid over the boards...
replacing opamps on polysix vcos. my polysix sounds rather not fat in the high ends, compared to the juno or korg ms. i'm quite sure this will do wonders to it.
recapping ms 10 / 20. they sound killer, but sometimes i get strange things, kinda phase cancellation / dc offset stuff...
clean out my acetone. sounds rather rusty...

hope u like this idea and im curious to read some real success stories, not like my bad example...

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Re: repair success stories

Post by Synthaholic » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:06 pm

Probably my best repair stories are:

1. Bought a used D-50 in 1994. I got them to take $50 off the price since I discovered that some of the buttons weren't working. Took it home, opened it up and found the panel board was cracked. So I soldered in jumpers to repair the broken traces, and it was good as new afterward.

2. Got an Andromeda on eBay last October which had the annoying habit of losing its user patches and settings when powered down. Opened it up, changed the battery, that didn't help, so I did some tracing and found a diode was installed backwards at the factory. Reinstalled the diode the right way and now the Andy works perfectly.

Of course, both of these are one-off issues and not something that tends to go wrong in these synths (like the aforementioned Juno-106 chips or leaking Polysix batteries).
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:20 pm

pflosi wrote:i've been thinking bout this for a while, i think it's a good idea to collect our experiences with broken or rather not minty synths. I thought this should be done specifically for individual synths, so we have a list to see what common problems are on common synths (e.g., everyone knows the ju106 chip issues...). this could maybe become some kinda sticky or sth.

i originally intended to wait with this till i have some synths repaired :), but i'm bored so i'm posting it now to see what we get.

so... i really hope to benefit from doing this:
replacing battery on juno 60 and polysix. i've read dying batteries can also influence the sound, not only kill patches and spill acid over the boards...
replacing opamps on polysix vcos. my polysix sounds rather not fat in the high ends, compared to the juno or korg ms. i'm quite sure this will do wonders to it.
recapping ms 10 / 20. they sound killer, but sometimes i get strange things, kinda phase cancellation / dc offset stuff...
clean out my acetone. sounds rather rusty...

hope u like this idea and im curious to read some real success stories, not like my bad example...
I replaced a Juno 60 battery recently. I snipped off the cr1/3N li-ion battery as far up the leads away from the board first and then desoldered the remnants -- this makes it safer than trying to apply heat to the battery which may pop on you. I then soldered a CR2032 holder onto the board and slid in a CR2032 3V battery, and all is well. I highly recommend this procedure if you're at ease with soldering.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:21 pm

I bought a Drumtraks off Ebay for $100 since it had several sticking and non-working buttons. I just lifted the top off, reset the buttons and springs under said buttons and voila. Good as new.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:29 pm

It's kind of a hobby. Recent repairs. . .

Arp 2600 mk III (Power, VCO)
Arp Odyssey mk II (Power)
Emu Drumulator (Connection)
Ensoniq SQ-80 (Battery)
Moog Sonic 6 (Power)
Roland Juno 60 (Connection)
Roland Juno 106 (PCB Trace)
Roland RE-301 (Tape head ground)
Roland TR-909 (Connection)
Siel DK-600 (Battery Leak, Connection)
Univox Maxi-korg K-3 (Connection)

Repairs pending. . .

Arp Omni I
Arp Omni II
Elk EM-4
Fender Chroma Polaris
Oberheim DMX
Roland Juno 60
Sequential Prophet 600
Siel DK-600
Univox Maxi-Korg K-3

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:41 pm

Replaced an 80017A in a Juno-106.

Replaced burned resistors in the power supply of a Yamaha CX5m.

Replaced the time-bomb voltage regulator on a Fizmo.

Replaced the backlight and inverter on a K5m.

By the way, I did a blog post last year on synths with reliability issues.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

masyst
Gear: 5 gears + reverse

Post by masyst » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:58 pm

I just got my Roland Juno-2 fixed, some keys where giving full velocity.
Cleaned with some Contact Cleaner under the rubber pads and then it worked like new.
Also got a Spectrum synth that are waiting for a new backup battery and a Boss DR-110 that need the power transistor changed.

Here in Norway we actually had a synth-repair meeting http://www.wintherstormer.no/concerts/2 ... 90620.html
A synthesizer will be for you what you want it to be...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:09 pm

masyst wrote: Here in Norway we actually had a synth-repair meeting http://www.wintherstormer.no/concerts/2 ... 90620.html
That's cool!

It's fun to keep older gear alive, and keeps your carbon footprint low too :)

Here's mine:
Replaced an 80017A on two Juno-106s (me and hundreds of others!).
Repaired aftertouch in Akai MX1000.
Replaced backlight in Casio VZ-10M and MX1000.
Installed Kenton MIDI CV in Yamaha CS01.
Installed filter sockets it Yamaha CS5 and CS10.
Probably some more I can't remember...

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:30 pm

Yamaha AN1x - replaced two cracked keys for a couple of quid each and reseated a loose voice board in there, which was causing a limit of 5-note polyphony without even using the unison mode. A lot of screws hold that bottom plate on...

Roland JV-880 - arrived with none of the front buttons working and the seller refunded me, and generously told me to keep it as it wasn't any use to him broken, rather than return it to him. I had a look at the circuit board and there was a thin crack across most of the tracks. I got in touch with Roland UK and they had a replacement circuit board out to me within five weeks (from Japan) for the princely sum of just £7 and free p&p! I don't know about Roland support in other parts of the world, but they were on the ball with this one - very helpful!

Yamaha DX7s - not a repair as such, but I recently replaced the battery, soldering in a battery clip for when I need to change it in the future.

Non synth-related, I repaired a Marshal Vibratrem pedal, replacing the pot that controlled the wave shape and put in a new footswitch, modified an Ibanez TS7 to 808 specs and a mod kit for my Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer which rounds out the sound and kills most of the noise when on full sustain.

I still burn my fingers every time I get the soldering iron out though! :lol:
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:04 pm

Bought an very nice Roland A-50 controller for the poly aftertouch. Got it here; the backlight was dim and the inverter whining like a mother at 500 Hz. Replaced the EL lamp with a Telesis unit and impregenated the inverter with cyano glue, still no joy on the whine.

Bought a suitable inverter replacement directly from these guys http://www.jkllamps.com got it wired into the power board and hooray, no more 500 Hz! Instead a massive 60 Hz hum from the main transformer the 500 Hz whine was masking. Arghhh!

Not to be outdone, I mounted the transformer on rubber grommets and grounded its frame back to the chassis with a jumper. Now all is lovely, blissful silence. The aftertouch sensitivity adjustment pot I added also continues to work with splend awesomeness as well.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:27 pm

Yamaha SY-77, Fitted New Cool Blue Display Module
Yamaha TG-77, Fitted New Cool Blue Display Module
Juno-160, 80017A, Some replacement keys, cleaned keybed pcb, new battery, replaced entire top control surface pcb
ARP Omni-2, Replaced over 80 tantalum caps, midi retrofit, cleaned keyboard contacts
Sequential Prophet 2002, New floppy drive, Replaced all front panel switches, reseated memory chips
Emulator II, Fitted 3.5" floppy drive, replaced broken keys, fitted LED backlit LCD display, fitted blue LEDs
Emulator IIIX, Fitted new EL backlight in display
Waldorf Microwave I, Fitted replacement data wheel encoder
Wavestation A/D, fitted new EL backlight in display
EMAX II, fitted new EL backlight in display
Roland SRV-330, fixed bad soldering in PSU
Korg DW-8000, replaced failed 7805 regulator in PSU
AKAI S1000, fitted new EL backlight in display
Roland D-550, new battery, fitted new display module

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:59 pm

Roland JX-3P: Desoldered broken 'edit slider' (no stalk/cap) soldered in new slider works great. Swapped a key on it (cracked) to a good one. Fitted midi expansion mod to it so I can now use generic midi box (no PG200 needed!), software editor, patch back up and sequencer + programmer at same time.

Yamaha SY77: Fitted 'Cool Blue' LED LCD in place of old faded one, will replace disk drive with PC mod drive soon

JX-8P: Fixed non working 'modulation' lever (had been cracked inside at some stage) by 'building up' enough layer to trigger the mod button again.

Korg M1: Fixed broken 'cheap a*s plastic' buttons that was cracked and had gone inside the synth. Now all buttons there and working. Not very fun to dismantle down to the top surface though.

And new batteries in most of what I own, simple even with the solder types.
Last edited by Pro5 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:05 am

I did A LOT of work on a CS-80 recently...

-Power supply completely rebuilt (from PSU in the 80 belonging to Toto. So there is a little bit of "Rosanna" in this CS-80)
-Output hi/lo switch rebuilt
-bad circuit trace repaired causing the pitch to be the same across the keybed
-"Funky 3" preset fixed as it did not sound
-IC replaced on voice 3 mix 2 as there was no square wave (bad IG00158 chip)
-Mix 2 PWM slider replaced
-Ring mod envelope repaired (bad IG00159 chip)
-bad trace on keyboard board causing the AT sensors not to work
-lots of 4xxx CMOS chips replaced
-Repaired aftertouch

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:54 am

JX3P - I Frankensteined one good JX3P from two that each had its own issues.
JX8P - aftertouch repair and replacement of output jacks
VFX-SD - the common beneath-the-keyboard jumper fix
Juno 106 - I'm in the middle of replacing every slider and every button
Juno 1 - full key replacement

http://www.sonicamigos.com/etejkowski/E ... orial.html

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:27 am

I suppose I should list my buy-fix-sell repairs and other miscellaneous fixes too...

I bought 2 Juno-106es on eBay a year and a half ago. One was in better shape than the other.
First one, replaced one 80017A, cleaned up, calibrated and sold
Second one: fixed bent keybed frame, replaced several missing/broken keys, repaired broken bender assembly, replaced several missing/broken sliders and caps, replaced LED display lens (turns out it was floating inside the synth). This one had several 80017A issues, and replacement chips I was putting in failed too, so I ended up putting in clones before selling it. Oh yeah, replaced the rubber feet on the bottom too.

Roland JX-8P, another buy-fix-sell on eBay. It had 2 broken keys and the slider caps were missing, and aftertouch wasn't working well. I took the entire keybed apart, cleaned every key, fixed the aftertouch, tuned it up, cleaned it up, and sold it. During all this, my sister passed away unexpectedly and I used this synth in the song I created in her memory. I didn't really want to sell this one when I was done with it but my wife made me...

Roland D-550: Replaced EL backlight foil.
Roland MKS-80 Rev 3: Replaced EL backlight foil, calibrated, and fixed a bad solder joint that was causing the MIDI LED to not light. Sold afterward.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda