repair success stories

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
AstroDan

Re: repair success stories

Post by AstroDan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:40 am

I replaced a trim pot. I was pretty proud because I did it with a $5 soldering gun (didn't burn the board) and a replacement part I just happened to have from a box of electronic junk I bought for some reason three years ago.
Too futurist to live.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:52 am

this project is NOT finished, but it plays even though its guts are spread out over the bench:

Casio CZ-1. lightning strike? static? realy bad day at factory?
bought dead. that's D.E.A.D.

replaced BOTH CPUs, 9 op-amps, BA-something VCA, backlight and inverter, replaced every cap and semiconductor in the power supply: rectifiers, diodes,zeners,transistors, linear regulator....all., several logic ICs. power busses thought they were LFOs. main CPU was shorted on the +5 line, sub-CPU had some crazy intermittant glitch that caused a power-reset every few minutes. I see the schematic in my dreams !!!!!

one i'm not proud of:
bought a dead DW-6000 for $8. turned the 'tape enable' switch off.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Synthigraphie
Gear: Alesis Fusion 6HD
Roland Super JX + PG-800
Roland D-50
Akai AX73
ARP Omni I
Korg EA1-Mk2 & ER-Mk2
Yamaha PSR-640, PS-20, PSS-680

Post by Synthigraphie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:55 pm

You have a stronger link with a synth you repair, as if it was build by yourself ! :D

Last year I bought for 60€ on ebay buy-it-now a non working Akai AX73. Reading the auction, I guessed it was only a problem of battery. I was right, the main problem was the battery CR2032.

But the sound was still totaly wrong. I concluded it was the auto-tune switch which was broken. I replaced it.

The lower octave of the keyboard was not working, and also some other keys, due to a liquid thrown on the instrument. Fortunately, I could find a whole PCB contact for the keyboard on Vintageplanet, for 50 €.

Now the AX73 is fully working. It's a not common and very nice synth for basses with its VCO. Despite it's limited and has no controlers except a slider, for sure I will never sell it.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:02 pm

- Calibrated the Polysix.
- Calibrated the Mono/Poly.
- Reattached a loose spring in the keyboard assembly of the ESQ-1.
- Replaced a key on a Juno-6.
- Cleaned the keyboard contacts of a Roland D-50.
- Replaced the knobs and calibrated the CAT.
- Replaced a reed switch in my Polivoks' keyboard assembly.
- Glued the rubber cover for the pitch and mod stick of the X-Station back on.
- Attempted to calibrate a Teisco S-100P.
- Removed the hum from a fake SM57.
- Repaired an Ibanez overdrive pedal and two Zoom multi-effects pedals.

I realise this is all dead basic stuff, but at least I try. :)

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:20 am

MemoryMoog - manual tuning, resolved voicecard issues, installed Kenton Midi Retrofit, Modulation section problems (resolved by others)
Jupiter 6 - replaced all sliders and pots, installed Europa 1, replaced main power switch.
Juno-106 - replaced bender board, replaced contact switches, cleaned membrane key contacts, replaced battery
Solina IV - New power supply caps, replaced Sustain Circuit IC. Still troubleshooting an odd 1-octave violin catastrophe.
MC-505 - replaced cheap pots with sturdy ones, replaced LCD.
MC-303 - dead sound, replaced amplifier chips.
Electribe ER-1: power supply jack re-install
MS-2000: power supply jack re-install (what is with those korgs?)

currently
Korg Delta - filter section problem
SCI Multitrak - probably bad CPU
Korg DS-8000 - garbled sound, just starting troubleshooting.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:09 am

no "serious" repairs here, just general fixes and cleaning:

Kawai K4 - power input jack repair/resolder
Kawai K3 - power input jack repair/resolder
Korg EMX-1 - worn rubber carbon contact repair/repaint
Kurzweil PC2X - general refurb/repair of hideously dirty and run-down synth
Yamaha EG-1 - power input jack repair/resolder

Otoroko Heavy Industries
Band: Wolf424/The Republic of Desire

Post by Otoroko Heavy Industries » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:12 am

CZ1 - removed internal battery and replaced with battery holder. Replaced batteries in several other synths.
Kurzweill K2000 - got it really cheap and it was in 2 pieces with cables hanging out and covered in tar (I hope) and dust/hair/hay it had to be completely dismantled. The case and keys were so badly coated in the mysterious tar that it stuck to fingers and smellt lika a grill. They were washed with about everything i could find, the case is made of porous plastic witch didn't help much. The key contacts were also covered in dirt and had to be scrubbed with contact cleaner/pencil eraser. Also cleaned all wiring contacts etc. Lower 4/5's of the keys work, upper register is still dead, some outputs don't work, backlight is gone and I seriuosly wouldn't gig it, but it is stable enough for studio use.

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:42 pm

Korg EMX-1: replaced main selector encoder
Roland JX-3P: replaced a broken "F" key

dr funk

Post by dr funk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:23 am

Good thread! Bringing synths back to life is a great way to learn more about electronics - well, for me anyway!

Polysix: extensive battery damage to KLM367 PCB - did lots of rewiring, replaced several ICs. Also replaced one IC on FX board.
Jupiter 6: 1 osc not working - reseated PCB connectors and socketed ICs. Just received Europa upgrade.
Omni 2: powered up and LEDs came on but no sound - replaced most tantalums and several ICs.
Yamaha SY2: aftertouch not working properly - replaced light-dependent resistor.
Chroma Polaris: upper keys sticking, bottom 'C' not working - bent upper key guides back into shape, repaired rubber contact.
Prophet T8: the only one that's beaten me so far! :evil: Cosmetically lovely but didn't make it past the startup auto tune routine and was missing a couple of Curtis ICs. I sourced some and now have all 16 oscs working. Diagnostics show all key pressure sensors and front panel pots to be ok. I recapped the PSU and next up is to check the CPU board for bad traces.

LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Post by LucB » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:45 pm

If you want to see an amazing repair success story go there : http://www.musiquedanielcote.qc.ca/fr/accueil/

On the right hand side of the homepage you'll see a link to Daniel Coté's successful attempt at a complete refurbishing of a Minimoog Model D. This guy is just amazing: 50$ CAN/hour + parts is a f**k steal for this guy's services. He's so passionate about vintage synths, he'll repair the whole thing in very little time, get you good parts for as cheap as possible and packages the synth for shipping like it was a human baby coated in porcelain and crystal (weird image i agree, i'm sure you get the point).

The short description is in french, but the high def pictures will do the talking anyway. I don't mean to make a shameless plug out of this post but i could never vouch enough for a man that does so much honor and justice to vintage synths. He's also an avid collector so don't hesitate to give him a shout if you think you have something worth his attention, he's always interested in what you've got, and you'll definitely get his attention if you have a ARP 2600 for him.

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:54 pm

LucB wrote:If you want to see an amazing repair success story go there : http://www.musiquedanielcote.qc.ca/fr/accueil/

On the right hand side of the homepage you'll see a link to Daniel Coté's successful attempt at a complete refurbishing of a Minimoog Model D. This guy is just amazing: 50$ CAN/hour + parts is a f**k steal for this guy's services. He's so passionate about vintage synths, he'll repair the whole thing in very little time, get you good parts for as cheap as possible and packages the synth for shipping like it was a human baby coated in porcelain and crystal (weird image i agree, i'm sure you get the point).

The short description is in french, but the high def pictures will do the talking anyway. I don't mean to make a shameless plug out of this post but i could never vouch enough for a man that does so much honor and justice to vintage synths. He's also an avid collector so don't hesitate to give him a shout if you think you have something worth his attention, he's always interested in what you've got, and you'll definitely get his attention if you have a ARP 2600 for him.
Good to know! I'm in the area and it's nice to have a good local tech for the more difficult repairs.

masyst
Gear: 5 gears + reverse

Post by masyst » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:58 pm

LucB wrote:If you want to see an amazing repair success story go there : http://www.musiquedanielcote.qc.ca/fr/accueil/
Reminds me off the Pacrat...Image
A synthesizer will be for you what you want it to be...

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:43 pm

dave is THE man :)

i love packrat

drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Post by drawtippy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Good thread!

OBX-A: calibrated OSCs and pitch levers, replaced bushings, removed and cleaned keys, replaced a button, and even repaired/made new J-wires. I'm still having a little trouble with 1 voice not firing. I may need to reseat the board.

Luckily everything else is hanging in there (knock on wood)
Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox

LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Post by LucB » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:38 pm

Yatmandu wrote: Good to know! I'm in the area and it's nice to have a good local tech for the more difficult repairs.
What!? With Novielo that's three quebecers so far on VSE, and i think there might be more! i've been doing business with Daniel for some time now and i got to say he never let me down.

We should eventually try and rally all quebecers on VSE to do a track or some s**t and post it here, just to give the people at VSE a taste of what 'canadiens-français québécois, vivants au Québec comme nation dans la nation du Canada, parlant français et anglais mais élevés en français dans un environnement bilingue' is all about.

What is it about again? hehehe