NEW DSI Tetr4 -4 voices of Mopho In a Box!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: NEW DSI Tetr4 -4 voices of Mopho In a Box!

Post by balma » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Mmmmm, a 4 voices new analog, even with usb, for under $500???? don't think so.

Release price for the evolver was $500 if I can remember, and that was the return from Dave to the hardware synth, after some time on the software area and other works, and it still selling at the same price....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:31 am

cartesia wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:So it's lost the Audio In function of the Mopho? Seems like an odd choice.
maybe to you!
Why, is there some kind of advantage to not having it?
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:24 am

I think he means he had no intention of ever using it so it doesn't make a difference.

At any rate, I think the price is fair and it will drop.
If you're the type that wants it early or first then expect to pay premium prices. It's like that across the board for all products- especially anything tech related.

As far as pure analogs go, what would be its nearest recent competition?
It's going to be way more exposed than a Doepfer unit or anything from Analogue Haven.
Plus the market is DEAD QUIET. There is nothing new out and might not be for some time.
It's been months...maybe a year since something new came down the pipe.

DSI stands alone right now.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:55 am

The UK price is very good I think. I'm actually a little bit surprised.

One thing to remember about the DSI stuff is how good it is having those on board step sequencers.

And something this has over the Prophet is it's four part multitimbral.

I have suggested they introduce a model down from this one called the Dual Analog Voice Expander, or DAVE for short.

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:38 am

masstronaut wrote:
I have suggested they introduce a model down from this one called the Dual Analog Voice Expander, or DAVE for short.
You're hired!
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:39 am

well... what they really can do is an "expansion box".

A "stackable" little box, no knobs, no display, nothing... but half price.

This box could expand 4 voice on P08 or other TETR4 or MOPHO.

yes I said "half price" you know it's possible...

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:34 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
masstronaut wrote:Also I wonder if this might have some relation to the analogue side of the LDII.
That's what I was thinking. LDII will need a board with a 4 voice analogue synth on it, it shouldn't be too hard to put that board in a different case and have it as a stand-alone synth.
So, I think if they did combine this with an updated Linn MPC type thing it could be pretty great.

That would cover a lot bases in a quality way.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:53 am

masstronaut wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
masstronaut wrote:Also I wonder if this might have some relation to the analogue side of the LDII.
That's what I was thinking. LDII will need a board with a 4 voice analogue synth on it, it shouldn't be too hard to put that board in a different case and have it as a stand-alone synth.
So, I think if they did combine this with an updated Linn MPC type thing it could be pretty great.

That would cover a lot bases in a quality way.
The problem is that from what I know of the evolver, and what Ive seen of the phophet and mopho, the architecture/sound isn't exactly knockout for analog drums.

They can do it, but not to the extent of being standalone drum machine quality...

There would have to be some specific alterations done to make it more suited to just percussion especially if its going to compete with the classics.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:09 am

Yeah that's true but I think from a could-they-actually-release-something point of view even having a Linn / MPC style sampler and sequencer with four Mopho voices and step sequencers like this would be really really good, that's what I mean. Not intending the analogue voices to be dedicated to percussion. You can sample drum sounds, I love the sound of a 'real' 808 or 909 but I think samples are fine for the most part.

Also a few extra options for the envelope curves I think would go some way to making the voices more suited to doing analogue style percussion. As a simple improvement I mean, rather than designing a whole new drum synth architecture.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:43 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:So it's lost the Audio In function of the Mopho? Seems like an odd choice.
I think an audio in would be much better than a headphone out. Other than that, this looks like a great synth. I can't wait to hear what it can do.

Novamusik pre-order special is $749 on one unit.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

linndrum9000

Post by linndrum9000 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:29 pm

Tetra + Beat Thang= Linndrum2????????

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:54 am

video demo...big city music

steveman

Post by steveman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:21 pm

I really give up with you lot. Every time a new synth comes out we get the chorus of "It'd be much better if it was $200-$300 cheaper, I'm sure they could do that - they'd sell loads more. It can't cost much to add x number of extra voices, a few more outputs etc etc". I'm sure you (and I) know far more about selling synths, setting price points, and engineering than Dave Smith ever will.
Right...

The synth market is tiny, there isn't much 'elastivity of demand', in other words halving the price won't necessarily lead to a doubling of sales because there aren't enough people out there who'd buy. Someone posted the other day there's only been 2-3000 Evolvers sold in 6 years - THAT's the size of the market. Do you really think he'd have sold 6,000 at half the price?
Also, if this place is anything to go by buying new is almost anathema, why would you try to minimise your margins when you know a good proportion of your potential market won't buy it new?

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:33 pm

So should we all just run around saying Dave is the greatest instead? And arrange a time to all go together and fellate him?

Look I love Dave to bits, his mind back in the day brought me my Prophet T8.

BUT time has shown us that the technology used to make these new synths is not very expensive, and on top of that ALL DSI products have a very cheap feel to them for the price we are charged.

If his products are so great why does he slash the h**l out of them down the road? Why are there piles of them constantly on Ebay? Why do people constantly complain about them?

Oberheim's new SEM looks like much better value for the dollar.

And for the consumer, new or used, $800 opens a lot of possibilities.
Last edited by plikestechno on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:50 pm

steveman wrote: Someone posted the other day there's only been 2-3000 Evolvers sold in 6 years
Only? That's pretty awesome for a niche market. And how many subsequently have been resold?
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40