NEW DSI Tetr4 -4 voices of Mopho In a Box!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Roulade

Re: NEW DSI Tetr4 -4 voices of Mopho In a Box!

Post by Roulade » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:42 pm

mome rath wrote: this is pretty subjective--that looks worse imo
given that it's essentially a statement of aesthetic taste, it is indeed quite subjective.
mome rath wrote:but hey, if you buy one and just can't stand to look at it, nobody says you can't paint it yourself
i've already mentioned my masking tape / artline90 plan.

D-rex
Gear: DSI Tetra, Moog MF-102 & MF-105, Vestax Controller One, Rane TTM-56, Akai XR20, Korg Kontrol 49
Band: Anti-Dream Machine

Post by D-rex » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:39 pm

Does anyone have a Tetra yet? I ordered mine yesterday... :D

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:59 pm

got one here

JD73
htttp://www.myspace.com/jazzdoctor73
htttp://www.jd73.co.uk

LP/Voyager/Source/Moogerfoogers/NordStage/Logan SM2/Solina/Memorymoogplus/MicroKorg/B3+122RV/ClavD6/Rhodes Suitcase73x2/EmuE4K/YamahaEx5/Dx100

D-rex
Gear: DSI Tetra, Moog MF-102 & MF-105, Vestax Controller One, Rane TTM-56, Akai XR20, Korg Kontrol 49
Band: Anti-Dream Machine

Post by D-rex » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:46 am

Nice! How do you like it so far? How are the drum sounds?

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:34 pm

Holy s**t! I really want one of these. For some reason I've not seen the Tetra before. I spotted it for the first the first time in this months Future Music magazine. How did I miss it before?! Anyway this looks spot on to me. I've been wanting to buy an analogue poly for some time but was always concerned about buying a vintage machine that's probably older than I am! I like the fact that it's small & has USB connectivity with a software editor. The purists will be up in arms but if it sounds right I'm down with it & I think it sounds bloody great. Once again gear lust rears it's head as my bank account looks on nervously [-X

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:08 pm

I bought a Tetra last week. Loving it. It sounds bloody great.

justinvm

Post by justinvm » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:48 pm

Got mine last week.

What I have noticed:

Sounds very close to my matrix 6r (which i sold a while back), which is a good thing, i wasn't expecting it to sound as close as it does. Oscillator slop doesn't do much for fattening up the oscillators, it does give a beating VCO feel though. Sub oscillators seem quite subtle when added to the sound compared to say a Juno 60.

I was really surprised with how impressive the combos are, something I didn't buy the synth for. But the sequencer is actually very powerful (it's able to sequence not only notes, but modulate parameters). Percussion sounds are great. Some dodgy sounding kicks in there, but some very nice ones as well.

Presets are generally okay. I suppose most of them are taken from the P08. I'm sort wishing I could upload my matrix 6r patches onto this bad boy (which im starting to think had somewhat more complicated modulation routing).

Pairing this up with my machinedrum, for my live rig. A match made in heaven.

More thoughts to follow..

- J

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:49 pm

Got one back in mid sep .... after living with it gotta say I love it .
Decent price +
I find the OSC slop quite useful +
Pots for Freq and Rez +
Filter is warm and juicy ,but at the same time can be brassy and aggressive +
Mod Matrix +
4x4 Sequencer is powerful and useful +
Split / Layer / 4 part mono mode and voice allocation +++
USB +
Driverless USB ++
my only real gripe is that the seq is only 16 steps , but thats always a gripe for me .
I would have like to have had the filter input like the Mopho , but in trade for USB and automation control of feedback levels I'll consider it more than fair .

Bottom line : I have lusted after a P08 for a while now , but could never seam to get the funds together , however after using this I think if i need 8 voices I'll just get another Tetr4 ....or two :D
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:02 pm

justinvm wrote:Oscillator slop doesn't do much for fattening up the oscillators, it does give a beating VCO feel though.
Yes, I was hoping the 'osc slop' would help me create a string synth like quality. Guess I need a slightly more severe modualtion for that kind of thing. The fine tuning works wonders for fattening things up.
I was really surprised with how impressive the combos are, something I didn't buy the synth for.
Agreed. Some of the Combo patches sound really cool. Loving those even though I'm not usually a fan of that stuff at all (i.e. press one button & have the synth go off on it's own!).
loungedumore wrote:Bottom line : I have lusted after a P08 for a while now , but could never seam to get the funds together.
Same here. I was very interested in the Prophet 08 when I first saw it. A new analogue poly synth, as opposed to one as old as I am, seemed like a very good idea to me. But I couldn't justify the cost. The Tetra is the synth I've been waiing for. Nice one Dave Smith :wink:

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:07 pm

loungedumore wrote: my only real gripe is that the seq is only 16 steps , but thats always a gripe for me .

if it works like the evolver, you can use LFOs at 16/1 or 32/1 to modulate the sequenced parameters, giving you what seems like more than 16 steps
god elton can't you suck

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:03 pm

mome rath wrote:
loungedumore wrote: my only real gripe is that the seq is only 16 steps , but thats always a gripe for me .
if it works like the evolver, you can use LFOs at 16/1 or 32/1 to modulate the sequenced parameters, giving you what seems like more than 16 steps
Yes you can do that with the Tetra (just read that part in the manual ......... yes, I'm reading the fu***ng manual!!! :?)

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:54 pm

Dogboy73 wrote:
mome rath wrote:
Yes you can do that with the Tetra (just read that part in the manual ......... yes, I'm reading the fu***ng manual!!! :?)
I knew that , but thanks for the tip anyway . :D It's not that big an issue I just work in triplets most of the time and find it more productive to have 24-48 steps to work with

I downloaded and read the Manuel before the unit evan arrived ... as I always do :roll:
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:09 am

Excellent remake of Pink Floyd's 'On the Run' on the TETR4;

[youtube][/youtube]

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:12 am

Nice! ...Crash
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:38 am

Me want.