NEW DSI Tetr4 -4 voices of Mopho In a Box!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Dano

Re: NEW DSI Tetr4 -4 voices of Mopho In a Box!

Post by Dano » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:39 pm

Dogboy73 wrote:Excellent remake of Pink Floyd's 'On the Run' on the TETR4;
Nice!!!

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:39 am

I just picked one up a couple days ago and made my way through most of the presets. I really like the sound of this one and I prefer it much more than the MEK. The pots for the filter and resonance are fantastic and just make filter/res sweeps a real joy. Also, the filter has that "bubbly-ness" to it in 4 pole mode with the resonance turned up. To me it doesn't sound like the MEK's filter at all.
The software editor from soundtower really makes life easier for editing too. I went ahead and sprung for the Pro editor which is quite deep. Morphing, Genetics, extensive sequencer modes like reverse, invert, randomize, and multiple chord voicings.
Bottom line... It's a keeper, I'm loving it!
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:13 am

it does sound very well indeed. the editor is very buggy though. no way to keep it in clock with a DAW while the editor is open, at least IME. also a shame that the sequencer is only gated, and not a "real" sequencer.

projectwoofer
Band: Woofer

Post by projectwoofer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:54 pm

justinvm wrote:Oscillator slop doesn't do much for fattening up the oscillators, it does give a beating VCO feel though.
You can assign white noise as source modulation and OSC pitch as destination modulation and then adjust the depth to a tiny amount, for example 2-3 out of 127. It works wonders for emulating those ancient string machines! :D
http://www.myspace.com/woofergr
http://www.jumpingfish.gr/Woofer

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:51 pm

pflosi wrote:it does sound very well indeed. the editor is very buggy though. no way to keep it in clock with a DAW while the editor is open, at least IME. also a shame that the sequencer is only gated, and not a "real" sequencer.
There has been calls for the editor to work as a VST. I think the editor is great but I agree with this as it would probably work better as a VST running inside your sequencer.

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:58 pm

projectwoofer wrote:
justinvm wrote:Oscillator slop doesn't do much for fattening up the oscillators, it does give a beating VCO feel though.
You can assign white noise as source modulation and OSC pitch as destination modulation and then adjust the depth to a tiny amount, for example 2-3 out of 127. It works wonders for emulating those ancient string machines! :D
Yeah I was a bit dissapointed with the OSC slop feature. I thought this would work wonders for vintage string synth style sounds, which I really like. But it doesn't seem to be that much use for this kind of thing. It adds a bit of motion to the oscillators but not nearly enough. Good tip assigning noise to modualte OSC pitch. I'll give this a go.

gd

Post by gd » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Good to know, I wonder why so different than the P08's. I will eventually get a Tetra to chain with my P08 but I have so many other things that need to get done first and everytime I thought I decided which synth to sell I find a reason to keep it.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:54 am

gd wrote:Good to know, I wonder why so different than the P08's. I will eventually get a Tetra to chain with my P08 but I have so many other things that need to get done first and everytime I thought I decided which synth to sell I find a reason to keep it.
I think the voice architecture is exactly the same as the P08. Obviously there are only 4 voices & you get the sub oscialltors on the Tetra. But other than that, as far as I'm aware, they are the same. To be honest if I already had a P08 the last thing on my list would be a Tetra for these reasons.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 am

Tetra has the sub-osc and oscillator feedback...

projectwoofer
Band: Woofer

Post by projectwoofer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:49 pm

Dogboy73 wrote:
projectwoofer wrote:
Yeah I was a bit dissapointed with the OSC slop feature. I thought this would work wonders for vintage string synth style sounds, which I really like. But it doesn't seem to be that much use for this kind of thing. It adds a bit of motion to the oscillators but not nearly enough. Good tip assigning noise to modualte OSC pitch. I'll give this a go.
Try it! It works for me...you can add a good phaser pedal (or plugin, something like blue tubes) and you're good to go! ;)
http://www.myspace.com/woofergr
http://www.jumpingfish.gr/Woofer

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:35 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Tetra has the sub-osc and oscillator feedback...
how does this work?

is it similar to the AN1X or is it like a prefilter overdrive.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:14 pm

filter output back to input

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:40 pm

what about these morph functions with the pro software?

are they like the morph groups on the Nord Modular, how many do you get and will it work without the software?

alspacka

Post by alspacka » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:32 am

I'd love the editor to work as a VST and do automations in my fav DAW.

Or can it do this? If not, why the heck not? That would make it like an analog VST, almost.

EDIT: Anyone who know of any analog gear at all that can be automated as a VST in a DAW?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:36 am

your modular with motu volta