NEW DSI Tetr4 -4 voices of Mopho In a Box!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Re: NEW DSI Tetr4 -4 voices of Mopho In a Box!

Post by mao » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:55 pm

First of all let's see how 799$ are € converted (I know it will cost 800€ !!!)

The TETR4 price seems good but remember that putting 3 more voices in a mopho is matter of few $.

So 799$ is a clearly a market placement.

They can't sell it to let's say 100/200$ more of the Mophos (probably TETR4 costs them 5/10$ more than the mophos) or they'll destroy Mopho selling. But they need to stay away from P08 rack. So they're in between. I don't like this way of joking customers with pricing not hooked to a real production price.

imho a right selling price for a TETR4 is 600$, keeping the MOPHO at 400$... this can be a really good move... this will push ppl buying the MOPHO to spends a little more to have the TETR4 in a really "honest" way. MOPHO could fade out in a year or two making the TETR4 their best seller.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:11 pm

analog drum machine here i come!
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:21 pm

Digital Village is listing a price of £489.99

http://www.dv247.com/invt/66469/

Once again. Bargain.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:28 pm

Wow, that's not bad at all!

gd

Post by gd » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:31 pm

mao, I understand what you are saying the only retort I have is based on the fact that I hope with the increase in profit from this unit that this will keep Dave and co. in production and continue R&D on new analogue products for us all.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:47 pm

also, dave smith is going to have cash falling out of his a*s soon
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Ok, I'm going say it... $800 for a poly without knobs is not a bargain. The MoPho is, but this isn't IMHO. Flame me now...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:51 pm

Js you're crazy...

considering the mopho sells like hotcakes, has less knobs and tetra is only twice the price for four voices it will be a big hit... though I wont buy one. Yeah tempting to use it as a drum fx machine though.
for sale/trade: EML-101

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:13 pm

Well, this is Vintage Synth so maybe it's a NEW Poly at $800 verse EVERY USED poly for sale across the world.
At any rate, this is a sexy beast. It will be gotten and made love to.

Drums and Synth....I want to explore those combi patches and use those multi-outs..
MIDI out too, which is really special. I'm hoping the implementation is right so it can both Drive and be Driven.
The MOPHO is great, the only hang up (as with all monos) is the multi-pass DAW layering thing to build up sounds on top of sounds. This should nail it.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:25 pm

So buying the Tetra gives me four more voices on my Prophet 08.... that's awesome. In fact... that is EXACTLY the thing I was saying Moog should do like a year ago. Make a plain box, with 4 extra voices, to give you 5 voice polyphony. Dave is killing the analog market these days. Good for him!

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:23 pm

JSRockit wrote:Ok, I'm going say it... $800 for a poly without knobs is not a bargain. The MoPho is, but this isn't IMHO. Flame me now...

I know what your saying JS, but for me, its just the fact that the price has come at less than £500, and in the UK we usually always get the harshest prices.....

I personally think programming it will definately require a PC, but since it comes with a free editor Im not too worried.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:41 pm

Expect to see a flood of used Mophos hitting Ebay in 10, 9, 8, 7....

I think it's a pretty darn cool idea and I think will sell hand over fist, well, you know, what passes for hand over fist in the synth world. Personally, I'd rather just save the extra cheddar and buy a used Prophet 08 rack. But yeah, what Maindeglorie said. DSI is innovating on this front while Moog is going extra special conservative. Don't expect that to last indefinitely. Moog is probably already cooking up some competition.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:51 pm

Agreed on all the moog comments, many people have been saying they should do this for a long time.

I would pay $1000-1800 honestly for a little phatty 4 voice box that could turn a little phatty into a 5 voice. :D

You gotta hand it to Dave for being way ahead of most synth manufactures for playing the market the right way and understanding what is gonna sell. I'm sure the tetra is gonna clean up!
for sale/trade: EML-101

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:53 pm

I wonder if the Tetra could affect in some way the Evolvers price. they oscillate a lot. I saw a evolver 2 months ago at $400 on Ebay ... still waiting for a price like that to get one, but now there are only a couple on $600....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:04 pm

I don't think this will be as massive of a success as everyone thinks. I think it is just a little too expensive. As mentioned, $599 US would have been a better starting point for these. Also I'd be leery of buying any DSI product out of the gate as they seem to be prone to massive price drops from dealers and subsequent poor resale value. Like you have to feel bad for anybody that bought a Poly Evolver Keyboard or Rack new. My friend spent over 2 grand Canadian on a brand new Prophet 08 keyboard and look at that price now. He wants to sell it for more modular gear but it's not worth selling as they're so low right now.

If I had $799, I'd just throw a couple hundy on top and buy a used P 08. Rack or keyboard.

It's about how much disposable income people have too. It is much easier to throw $200-$400 at something rather than $600-$800. That's why Mopho's have been selling (then reselling) so crazy. You could market any analog synth or effect under $400 brand new and people will buy it. People have studios full of stuff for $400 or less because they don't have to save up for it and a host of other reasons.

However, if it starts raining Mopho's I might have to grab one if they dip below $250 used. How could you not at that point? I hear only good things about them.

And in a year or two, if it starts raining Tetra's for $500 and under.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40