The Curse of Jupiter (JP8000 problems, need owners' help)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jexus

The Curse of Jupiter (JP8000 problems, need owners' help)

Post by Jexus » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:10 am

Roland JP-8000 1:
I unpack the "great condition" synth and plug it in and tweak. Seven sliders are worn out to the point that the settings are partially editable. The values jump between numbers, making the editing very imprecise. Cutoff and Resonance [of course] just flat. Either the JP8000 is a very unreliable VA [cause it has those pitiful sliders], or the previous owner tweaked the s**t out of them. f**k it. I packed and sent the s**t back to the ignorant dumbass.

Roland JP-8000 2:

I make a deal with a guy to import JP8000 and Nord Lead from an overseas studio. Two weeks pass and I still haven't got any. I stalk him and he finally admits that he's sad to tell me this, but he got the JP, nevertheless I have to give up the Nord cause he won't be able to get it for me. I'm pissed and I withdraw the pre-payment and say to him that maybe I'll visit him if I decide that I want the JP. He says that from now on he's got no free time and cannot meet me cause he's working. But the next day, without telling him, I drive to his town and to his surprise I knock on his door. He opens up in pajamas. Flabbergasted, with the entire weird situation witnessed by his unsuspecting mother, he invites me to his room and there's an Access Virus. I ask "where's the JP?". He says: "Uhm, it didn't come, it just didn't come...". And he's sad again. And he's dirty.

Roland JP-8000 3:
- Hello, I'm interested in your JP but is it really in perfect condition ?
- Yes of course it's perfect.
- But can you do a little test for me and see if the pots and sliders are maybe imprecise?
- And ?
- Yeah, so I did the test you asked me to do and it turns out values jump in some of the sliders.

Roland JP-8000 4:
- you bought my JP is that right? Cool. Do you maybe make VENGEANCE patches ?
- so like I said, the JP is in good shape
- but can you do a small test for me ?
- the Xmod knob is a bit messed up
- so I gather in that case we have to cancel the bid cause I won't be buying your Roland
- what the h**l are you talking about can't u read I never said it was perfect get lost you freak bla bla bla gibberish gibberish

Roland JP-8000 5:
- (...) I'd like you to perform a test
- like you said, values in two sliders jump... but the JP has been controlled by analog means [...?] and by a computer and taking into consideration that it's an analog synth [...?] and is so old [...?] I assume its condition is not bad.

Sweet Jesus. Are you trying to stop me from buying this machine with your heavenly ways of protection unbeknownst to me?

Allright.
Can you guys tell me about your JP8000?
I want to determine if I'm just having bad luck, or if there's no such a thing as a perfect condition JP8000 and I better get accustomed to it, take it as a fact and buy one of these.

You press SHIFT and slowly turn knobs and sliders. The values should rise / fall in order, eg. 21,22,23,24,25. If there's a problem, the values jump, eg. 21,22,35,36,37.

You may suggest using a contact cleaner - yes, I know of that solution. But the JP I had did not suffer from dust. It suffered from human hand tweaking the s**t out of them. The grey thingie inside the pots just worn out and could not [conduct / transmit] [information / electricity / resistance].

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: The Curse of Jupiter (JP8000 problems, need owners' help)

Post by nadafarms » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:19 am

s**t man, maybe you should take a hint from the universe, i would frickin love to see you do a youtube demo of an andromeda... get one of those :)
for sale/trade: EML-101

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:51 am

I also bought my JP well-used, and some sliders, especially the AMP level slider is pretty worn out. The buttons aren't state-of-the-art...I cleaned the whole keyboard 2 months ago and it was literally stuffed with dust, c**p and hair!

Seems you've had a overfair share of bad luck, Jex ;)

Once you will get one in good condition, you will not be disappointed!

Althought, after this many tryouts there seems to be some kind of latter-age jupiter curse.

Offtopic: I missed a Jupiter-8 for sale yesterday in my hometown. It went for 27995 SEK, approx 2600 euros or $3600...

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:03 am

Should I use your luck as a warning about picking up a JP8k for myself? lol
sounds like a troublesome synth. at least I will know what to look for when im purchasing mine. ;)

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:50 pm

This is why you get an 8080 - they're less likely to be mistreated. Albeit that mine had a small defect in the volume knob.

Sold it. Wasn't that interesting.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:44 pm

iProg wrote:....
Seems you've had a overfair share of bad luck, Jex ;)

Once you will get one in good condition, you will not be disappointed!

Agreed.

I bought mine 2nd hand and had no problems with it. So hang in there if you want one - there's bound to be a good one out there for you. At least you know what to look out for.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:15 pm

waldorf!
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Dubby_Wubby

Post by Dubby_Wubby » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:10 pm

iProg wrote:I also bought my JP well-used, and some sliders, especially the AMP level slider is pretty worn out. The buttons aren't state-of-the-art...I cleaned the whole keyboard 2 months ago and it was literally stuffed with dust, c**p and hair!
How did you clean it man? Did you take the front plastic cover off? Is it easy to do?

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:02 pm

Most of my sliders and knobs are a little loose, and the AMP pot just needs flat out replacement, but other than that I've had no problems. And my JP8k had been through 150+ gigs before I bought it.

I'm very sorry you've had such bad luck with the JP8k, I really love your demos and I'd love to hear what you can get out of this machine. I hope you can get your hands on a working one soon.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:17 am

Wow.....
just Wow....
the original post of this thread is going to give me nightmares about JP8ks/8080s for the next month.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:23 am

My Jp8000 developed this problem about 3 years ago in the cutoff.... I finally decided it was time to get it sent back to roland for repair, and after like 2 months i finally got it back. now after cutoff working my filter decay has this problem now...
well, i thought it was just mine but i guess its planned obsolessance kicking in after the 10+ years it was probably designed to work

such a good synth though, i'll never get rid of mine i love the sounds way too much.
‹‡›

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:54 am

Get yourself a Yamaha CS-2x instead ;) Wait, I see you've already got one, just use it and forget about a JP I say. They sounded a lot alike to me, 2x just don't look quite as pretty.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Sorry to hear about your troubles ... but ...

JP-8000 IS NOT A JUPITER ...

Personally, if I were a mod I'd edit the title of this thread ... Despite being snappy, it's quite misleading imo ...

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:00 pm

why are you dicking about w/ JP-8000 anyways Jexus?

Get a V-Synth
it's at least 4 x better in every way imho and does everything the 8000 did iirc, just no ' 8080 vocoder'. big whoop.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Doesn't a V-synth cost about $2000 more? Just saying...
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18