The Curse of Jupiter (JP8000 problems, need owners' help)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: The Curse of Jupiter (JP8000 problems, need owners' help)

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:30 pm

a new GT, yeah...but the original can be had for less than $800 these days, and an XT for a little more
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:40 pm

Just checked ebay 'completed items' on the v-synth and the only thing I found was a rack module for about $1600.

Please, if you find a V-synth for about $800, please, please let us know. I would like one at that price.
shaft9000 wrote:a new GT, yeah...but the original can be had for less than $800 these days, and an XT for a little more
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:10 pm

I bought by minty mint V-Synth 2.0 for $600 and my XT for $650 ...

And yes, I was going to suggest a V-Synth instead ... But even though I haven't spent much time with JP8000, and though much of the VA is apparently shared with V-Synth, the interfaces are quite different ... not to mention everything else the V-Synth has that JP8K doesn't ... Not to mention V-Synth is much newer and features higher-quality construction ... But JP8K interface is more like a traditional analog synth while V-Synth is its own thing ...

For some I could see having V-Synth and JP8K around, but not me ...
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:50 am

Jexus,

This seems to be what is going on right now with the JP's. My Jp had serious issues when i got it, (which bluemonster fixed up for me), but some of the pots seems to be going anyways. The osc 2 knob is the main offender, as it jumps around when adjusting the footings. My friends Jp has very similar problems as well. I guess i would recommend getting an 8080 and seeing if that helps. If not, i just might stay away from it. It has a great sound, but i dont want a VA that is more finicky than a cs80.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:14 pm

Pot(s) going too quickly ... ???

You should be vaping ... YEAH!
You should be vaping ... yeah ...

realtrance

Post by realtrance » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:38 pm

I got my JP8k the year it came out, in 1997, and have babied it ever since (this is not a sales pitch, btw). It's still mint, all the knobs work, the lithium battery checks out ok to this day (I also bought a service manual for it -- First Edition! <g> -- soon after I got the synth, from Roland, something I generally do where possible; not all synth manufacturers provide this service).

I recently pulled it out to compare with a number of more recent synths (I won't bore you with a list), and I'm astonished at how absolutely lush and beautiful the JP8k is, in comparison! Maybe the circuits have aged gracefully or something, but you'll have to tear this synth out of my dead hands. Which I wouldn't say of a number of more recent, much more expensive synths, digital or analogue.

Anyone who tells you even the V-Synth GT 2.0 "has everything the JP8K has, and more," is just talking technical specs; if they're talking about the actual sound qualities, they must be deaf! Totally different-sounding instruments, the V-Synth is a lot cleaner and lighter sounding (which for some tastes might be a big plus, everyone has different opinions). The JP8k remains a monster.

It's entirely possible that the lithium batteries are kaput on a lot of the used ones out there, and yes, I'm sure not many have treated their JP8Ks as well as I have, for knobs and sliders. h**l, you can find a recent Korg in any Guitar HeroCenter store that's smashed to smithereens on the knobs, that's not hard with most synths. Do the sliders give you MIDI value-specific step-by-step control? Not super-precisely; if you like editing numbers, stick with Massive or Absynth or Ableton Live or something like that. But with this synth..... that doesn't really matter. It's a beautiful, musical instrument.

Done.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:29 pm

Off Topic
Phollop Willing PA wrote:Just checked ebay 'completed items' on the v-synth and the only thing I found was a rack module for about $1600.

Please, if you find a V-synth for about $800, please, please let us know. I would like one at that price.
shaft9000 wrote:a new GT, yeah...but the original can be had for less than $800 these days, and an XT for a little more
I remember seeing on eBay more than a couple original V-synths around the $700 range in the last few months.
I was hoping that trend would continue so I could get one... but now all I see are boxed XTs for around $1400. :(

It would really be interesting to see a V-Synth video made by you, Jexus...

Sort of on-topic... Waldorf Blofeld vid! Great! =D>

mute

Post by mute » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:25 pm

I was looking for the old JP-8000 brochures that mentioned it as a "Jupiter", just to annoy the post above.. and I found this amusing quote (but not what I was looking for), thought i'd share:
The Roland JP-8000 is a state-of-the-art synthesizer—the worthy
heir to the throne held by the Jupiter 8, the JX-3P, the Juno series, the D-50 and
the JD-800. Poised to satisfy all of your sonic tweaking needs, the JP-8000 is
the ideal combination of vintage concepts and modern versatility.
btw.. it's no secret the JX line and the JP's are namesakes of the Jupiters, so it's not entirely incorrect for the poster to call it that... besides, it's Rolands fault for rehashing names just to try and sell stuff. At least they don't plaster Jupiter on them tho like they do with Juno's.. (except for the "super jupiter").

Anyways, as to the OP.. if I had that many problems with a V/A I'd give up on it. h**l, I gave up on Juno 106's because of their issues, which is the same price range (i did keep my mks30 and spare filter chips around tho :p)..

jp8080

Post by jp8080 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:51 pm

I've owned two JP8000's and one JP8080 - never a problem.

The vsynth goes for quite cheap $700 or so very often. However it is not comparable to the JP8000 even though on paper it has many of the features. It is a good synth but in a different way.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:38 pm

mute wrote: At least they don't plaster Jupiter on them tho like they do with Juno's.. (except for the "super jupiter").
Give them a few months...

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:22 am

Well, according to Future Music Roland wasn´t allowed to christen the JP-8000 as Jupiter because this company http://www.jupitermusic.co.uk/ owns the rights to the name. The Jupiter 8 was also called JP-8 hence the JP-8000 being the flagship for the year 2000, I think. That´s why they´re still releasing all those new Junos and not JU-whatevers.
Herrare umanum est.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:07 am

Diametro wrote:and though much of the VA is apparently shared with V-Synth
I'm pretty sure we've been here before and it has been pointed out that the V-Synth VA engine is quite different from the JP-8000's one. Personally I love the V-Synth, but I really don't rate the VA section that much - it's decent but the envelopes pop quite easily and the aliasing can be a problem unless you use the high-quality waveforms. A few of the waveforms (the ramp and the Juno waves are the worst here I think) sound a bit harsh and nasty to me too - these ones definitely alias really badly IMO.

If all you want is a solid VA I think the V-Synth is far from the best candidate.

On a separate note I played a JP8000 once. That "Chariots" patch really is something.

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:47 pm

I hate to go off topic but... is it me or does the title of this thread sound 1000x better than "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"?
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:53 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
Diametro wrote:and though much of the VA is apparently shared with V-Synth
I'm pretty sure we've been here before and it has been pointed out that the V-Synth VA engine is quite different from the JP-8000's one. Personally I love the V-Synth, but I really don't rate the VA section that much - it's decent but the envelopes pop quite easily and the aliasing can be a problem unless you use the high-quality waveforms. A few of the waveforms (the ramp and the Juno waves are the worst here I think) sound a bit harsh and nasty to me too - these ones definitely alias really badly IMO.

If all you want is a solid VA I think the V-Synth is far from the best candidate.

On a separate note I played a JP8000 once. That "Chariots" patch really is something.
I didn't say they were the same ... But a V-Synth is going to sound much closer to JP8K (STILL NOT A JUPITER -- there were only three models produced) than anything else like Novation, Korg or Nord ...

Personally, I love the VA section ... But I also have a Jupiter-6 and Juno-60 so I don't expect the universe from it either ...
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:13 am

Diametro wrote:I didn't say they were the same ... But a V-Synth is going to sound much closer to JP8K (STILL NOT A JUPITER -- there were only three models produced) than anything else like Novation, Korg or Nord ...
Sure, I agree with you on this. I just think the V-Synth is overkill for anyone that's just looking for a straightforward VA - it's sort of missing the point IMO. Despite all this I'd love to see what Jexus could coax out of one anyway!