Why buy hardware synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
roland4387
Gear: TB-303(x's 2), EML 101, System 100 Model 101, TR-808 & 606, SH-2, ARP Odyssey MKII, Korg MS-20, Xbase999, Korg KMS-30, SBX-80, Future Retro Mobius

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by roland4387 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:07 am

Hi, my name is John and I'm a gear ADDICT! :drunken:

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:12 am

ledhed2222 wrote:Nice discussion so far!

Which hardware synths do you find produce sounds so unique that they cannot be emulated?

The following synths have qualities that can simply not be replicated by any software synth, in my opinion

Yamaha CS-80 (no disrespect to the Arturia CS-80V)
Arp Odyssey
Moog Minimoog (no disrespect to Arturia Minimoog or Creamware Minimax)
Alesis Andromeda
Access Virus
Alesis Ion
Roland Juno 60
Korg MS-20 (no disrespect to Korg DS-10)
Roland Tr-808
Roland TB -303
The list goes on, but really, hardware is the way to go.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:38 am

I actually buy and use both software and hardware synths...But you can't beat the sexiness of a good old fashion hardware synth...like many others have stated it inspires you to play with it, to create with it...just turning all the knobs or pushing the buttons to hear what happens...

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:11 am

People walk in my studio and say "Wow".
I've never gotten that reaction from all the icons on my desktop.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:13 am

Nothing like actually tappin' out a sweet melody on real keys!

soft synths=no thanks
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:27 am

Christopher Winkels wrote:Why buy soft synths?

You're obliged to buy a computer, and possibly an external monitor (hey, look.. hardware!). Then you have to make sure the software installs cleanly, with no conflicts. After that, pray that the soundcard you purchased (you did get one of those too, right? More hardware!) and/or the computer's main CPU have enough computing power to run without pops, clicks, or other audio glitches. Next, resign yourself to the fact that if you want an interface using something other than a mouse or arcane QWERTY commands you'll need to buy another (hardware, bien sur) control surface to impart knobular fun. And then we still haven't touched on the (hardware) keyboard to play said synth - unless your idea of joy involves step entry and mouse clicks.

Then, when you've had a couple of years of "happy" synthesizing, it's time to junk your now ancient computer and start all over again with a new laptop because the new OS is guaranteed to work with your old programs, right? ;)

Sounds like fun to me!
this is pretty much what I was going to say... Having to rely on a computer = nope.
oh, and for live music, there is NOTHING less exciting than watching a guy check his e-mails while the pre-programmed music pumps out. for the audience, the artist just as well could have put on a CD and left the stage

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:31 am

Neonlights84 wrote:...really, hardware is the way to go.
Nobody's saying that people have to choose either hardware or software and only use that, that would be stupid. Hardware has certain advantages and disadvantages, as does software. You can do stuff in Max that you can't do with anything else in terms of processing and control, and then output that information to control a modular synth or whatever. It's all just stuff to make music with, you should use whatever is the best tool available to you for the job.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:47 am

ledhed2222 wrote:....why buy hardware synths when we can use such amazing softsynths?
Why force this to be an either/or question every single time?

It's bordering on the obsessive-compulsive; got to walk on the tiles themselves or on the edges - but never wonder why you're walking like this in the first place.

What's holding you back from trying that hardware?

What's holding him back from trying your software?

Realize that this is a futile discussion that serves as a dog whistle for people who try to impress their ideals and their workflow on your situation. Judge suggestions on their merit, not on their loudness or insistence. Don't put up mental blocks for yourself that shouldn't be there.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:18 am

yeah, Yoozer's right: hardware is much better. thanks Yoozer!

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:31 am

Big reason: You can walk into your "studio" (whatever that may be) and sit down, turn on a synth, and play. You don't have to turn the computer on, make sure your AD/DA interface is ready, load the software, make sure your MIDI controller is on and connected, etc.

Just hit one switch, put some 'phones on, and play.

Yeah, baby!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:34 am

OriginalJambo wrote:4) They look rather bad a*s.
:lol:

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:44 am

The routable polyphonic aftertouch that I enjoyed extensively on my T8 tonight would probably make computers melt even if software could properly do it. Speaking of the T8 there's nothing like a synth that has its own knob or switch for every single function.

I've tried softsynths. IMPOscar and Crystal (supposedly good ones) and they don't really do it for me. I have a copy of Ableton Live Suite 8 that I got two months ago that hasn't even been installed yet. That's mostly because I have to throw some RAM I bought into the computer first. And I get too distracted by the synths every time I go down to the studio.
Last edited by plikestechno on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:45 am

b3groover wrote:make sure your AD/DA interface is ready
make sure your MIDI controller is on and connected, etc.
o_O

O_o

1) My computer is already switched on, due email and reading this hilarious forum :)
2) software takes a few seconds to load, shorter than the time I need to switch on all my hardware
3) I usually don't disconnect my MIDI keyboard after using it

But note that I don't care about who uses what, but let's at least come up with arguments that make sense. Some of these arguments against software are too absurd to be reality. There's no point in suggesting every possible thing that may go wrong as a reality, especially if the user is responsible for that, not the software.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:08 am

Shouldn't even be justifying this thread with a reply but in short:

1. Second hand synths are not always more expensive than SOFTWARE

2. Second hand synths can be sold on again at no loss or a profit - try that with some CD-rom ;)

3. Hands on and inspiration creating displays/keys/interfaces are great reasons to have time tested units used on classic records and use them on your own stuff

4. Software is cool, I use about 5 diff soft synths atm on top of my hard synths. I wouldn't want to do without either but if I just had a computer and no 'real synths' around I'd feel like I was 'constructing' music rather than recording it from various sources... again the end product may be similar but to ME as an artist I like to keep the workflow as inspiring and fun as possible, and to me that means hardware (digital and analog). The same way I don't construct guitar riffs using 'guitar samples' (or synths) but play an actual guitar.

5. Because we can (buy) and because they are much nicer to own than a bunch of CDrom boxes if you have the space

mirt

Post by mirt » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:52 am

you can touch it, hold it and it's so material as a second person, not just cold light of screen :D .
like with records, you need cover!