Why buy hardware synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:52 pm
Real name: Mauricio
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by balma » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:35 pm

griffin avid wrote:Some songs have a certain sound regardless of their Sounds.(best)
Sinergy is one my biggest reasons to use a hardware setup made of distinctive synths interacting between them.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

User avatar
Dj Pound
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:34 am
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by Dj Pound » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:21 pm

Why buy hardware synths?
Why shouldnt I?
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

User avatar
Phollop Willing PA
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 3:47 pm
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:48 pm

My software crashed :(
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

User avatar
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:52 pm
Real name: Mauricio
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by balma » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:50 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:My software crashed :(

nice reason to give it a good kick in the a*s
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Skuzze
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:29 am

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by Skuzze » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:38 am

it is foolish to make musical decisions based upon convenience, affordability, or trend.
--AG

Affordability? Really? Care to delve into that particular facet of your argument a bit more because you never really addressed it.

Regarding the on-going battle between hard- and soft-, I say I'd rather have more people playing with music than not and software is a more logical way to democratize electronic instrumentation.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:56 am

Skuzze wrote:Regarding the on-going battle between hard- and soft-, I say I'd rather have more people playing with music than not and software is a more logical way to democratize electronic instrumentation.
There's no ongoing battle between hard and soft, just an ongoing battle between nerds who spend more time arguing on the internet than they do making music. The sensible people just whatever they've got for what it's best at, and make music.

User avatar
mao
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:02 am
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine
Location: Venice - Italy

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by mao » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Skuzze wrote:Regarding the on-going battle between hard- and soft-, I say I'd rather have more people playing with music than not and software is a more logical way to democratize electronic instrumentation.
There's no ongoing battle between hard and soft, just an ongoing battle between nerds who spend more time arguing on the internet than they do making music. The sensible people just whatever they've got for what it's best at, and make music.
Great answer !!!

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:24 pm

Skuzze wrote:
it is foolish to make musical decisions based upon convenience, affordability, or trend.
--AG

Affordability? Really? Care to delve into that particular facet of your argument a bit more because you never really addressed it.

Regarding the on-going battle between hard- and soft-, I say I'd rather have more people playing with music than not and software is a more logical way to democratize electronic instrumentation.
I addressed it precisely as much as it needed to be addressed, but I'll clarify for you:
People don't become musicians, performers, songwriters, producers, etc. based upon how much it costs to do so. Music is an artistic inclination (or should be), and it's something you do because you can't help but do it.
The instrument with which you express yourself isn't chosen because of how much it costs, it's chosen because that's the instrument with which you can most effectively express what you feel compelled to express.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

User avatar
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1233
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:01 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by D-Collector » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:24 pm

Well said.

User avatar
tyrannosaurus mark
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 581
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:10 am

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:46 pm

Unless you have no money, in which case the instrument you use to express yourself is the instrument you can get your hands on
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6099
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:23 pm

D-Collector wrote:There is no denying the conveniency and ease you get with a good software setup, everything is right there as you left it, no loading of OS floppys, SCSI sample drives, patches, etc. EVERY time you start up.
My Motif ES does this if I want (an "autoload" feature). Of course, once I leave the workstation itself I have to deal with the other hardware...which is why I seldom leave the workstation #-o

Actually this "total recall" is what I like best about software.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6099
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:30 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:All I can say is that it is foolish to make musical decisions based upon convenience, affordability, or trend.
Trend, OK but convenience and affordability?

Those two are always part of my decision whether or not to buy a particular instrument.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:00 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:All I can say is that it is foolish to make musical decisions based upon convenience, affordability, or trend.
Trend, OK but convenience and affordability?

Those two are always part of my decision whether or not to buy a particular instrument.
Well, yeah... it's like tyrannosaurus mark said... sometimes you have to get what you can get.
But getting what you can get and defending it as what you want is a far cry from having what you want and need.
But still, no one should be saying "[instrument] is exactly what I want and need as a musician because it's cheap and convenient!"* We're not talking about a dishwasher, after all. :wink:



*Unless by some horrible chance your artistic inclination can only be satisfied by using something which is cheap and convenient, of course!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

User avatar
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:13 am
Real name: Dave
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney
Location: VanNuys, CA USA
Contact:

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:12 pm

to me the measure of how expensive a piece of gear really is is this:

whether or not I can be done with the music as it stands - satisfied- not wondering if it could've sounded more like I want it to...that wastes more time, energy and money than anything - wondering if the grass is really greener

regardless of the monetary value, you pay for it one way or another - in time, money, frustration, self-delusion, satisfaction or inspiration. take thy pick.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

User avatar
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:52 pm
Real name: Mauricio
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by balma » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:08 pm

Common argument for software over hardware:
Software is cheaper.... easier to get.

When I started to play hardware, my earnings were $200-300 per month.

That's almost poverty. And I have never used software.

As somebody said, if you have an unevitable musician inclination, you'll find a way to get your instrument. Period.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Post Reply