Why buy hardware synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by balma » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:35 pm

griffin avid wrote:Some songs have a certain sound regardless of their Sounds.(best)
Sinergy is one my biggest reasons to use a hardware setup made of distinctive synths interacting between them.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:21 pm

Why buy hardware synths?
Why shouldnt I?
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:48 pm

My software crashed :(
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:50 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:My software crashed :(

nice reason to give it a good kick in the a*s
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

Skuzze

Post by Skuzze » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:38 am

it is foolish to make musical decisions based upon convenience, affordability, or trend.
--AG

Affordability? Really? Care to delve into that particular facet of your argument a bit more because you never really addressed it.

Regarding the on-going battle between hard- and soft-, I say I'd rather have more people playing with music than not and software is a more logical way to democratize electronic instrumentation.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:56 am

Skuzze wrote:Regarding the on-going battle between hard- and soft-, I say I'd rather have more people playing with music than not and software is a more logical way to democratize electronic instrumentation.
There's no ongoing battle between hard and soft, just an ongoing battle between nerds who spend more time arguing on the internet than they do making music. The sensible people just whatever they've got for what it's best at, and make music.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Skuzze wrote:Regarding the on-going battle between hard- and soft-, I say I'd rather have more people playing with music than not and software is a more logical way to democratize electronic instrumentation.
There's no ongoing battle between hard and soft, just an ongoing battle between nerds who spend more time arguing on the internet than they do making music. The sensible people just whatever they've got for what it's best at, and make music.
Great answer !!!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:24 pm

Skuzze wrote:
it is foolish to make musical decisions based upon convenience, affordability, or trend.
--AG

Affordability? Really? Care to delve into that particular facet of your argument a bit more because you never really addressed it.

Regarding the on-going battle between hard- and soft-, I say I'd rather have more people playing with music than not and software is a more logical way to democratize electronic instrumentation.
I addressed it precisely as much as it needed to be addressed, but I'll clarify for you:
People don't become musicians, performers, songwriters, producers, etc. based upon how much it costs to do so. Music is an artistic inclination (or should be), and it's something you do because you can't help but do it.
The instrument with which you express yourself isn't chosen because of how much it costs, it's chosen because that's the instrument with which you can most effectively express what you feel compelled to express.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:24 pm

Well said.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:46 pm

Unless you have no money, in which case the instrument you use to express yourself is the instrument you can get your hands on
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:23 pm

D-Collector wrote:There is no denying the conveniency and ease you get with a good software setup, everything is right there as you left it, no loading of OS floppys, SCSI sample drives, patches, etc. EVERY time you start up.
My Motif ES does this if I want (an "autoload" feature). Of course, once I leave the workstation itself I have to deal with the other hardware...which is why I seldom leave the workstation #-o

Actually this "total recall" is what I like best about software.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:30 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:All I can say is that it is foolish to make musical decisions based upon convenience, affordability, or trend.
Trend, OK but convenience and affordability?

Those two are always part of my decision whether or not to buy a particular instrument.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:00 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:All I can say is that it is foolish to make musical decisions based upon convenience, affordability, or trend.
Trend, OK but convenience and affordability?

Those two are always part of my decision whether or not to buy a particular instrument.
Well, yeah... it's like tyrannosaurus mark said... sometimes you have to get what you can get.
But getting what you can get and defending it as what you want is a far cry from having what you want and need.
But still, no one should be saying "[instrument] is exactly what I want and need as a musician because it's cheap and convenient!"* We're not talking about a dishwasher, after all. :wink:

*Unless by some horrible chance your artistic inclination can only be satisfied by using something which is cheap and convenient, of course!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:12 pm

to me the measure of how expensive a piece of gear really is is this:

whether or not I can be done with the music as it stands - satisfied- not wondering if it could've sounded more like I want it to...that wastes more time, energy and money than anything - wondering if the grass is really greener

regardless of the monetary value, you pay for it one way or another - in time, money, frustration, self-delusion, satisfaction or inspiration. take thy pick.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:08 pm

Common argument for software over hardware:
Software is cheaper.... easier to get.

When I started to play hardware, my earnings were $200-300 per month.

That's almost poverty. And I have never used software.

As somebody said, if you have an unevitable musician inclination, you'll find a way to get your instrument. Period.