Why buy hardware synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Why buy hardware synths?

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Guess what...I got my Motif ES taling to Live again as a control surface. This is a good example of the sort of aggravation that keeps me from depending on softsynths.

As I noted above, the control surface function was flaky, the Motif controls seemed to control Live for the most part but there was no feedback to the Motif screen and some controls were triggering Motif notes, indicating confusion over the MIDI port (Mackie Control protocol uses MIDI note numbers for most msgs).

Today I solved the problem but do not know how...this is pretty typical in my experience with WinXp.

1. I did a factory reset on the Motif, booted my laptop and launched Live. The control surface screen gave me feedback and everything was OK :D I powered down both the Motif and laptop, powered up the Motif then booted the laptop. Now it was broken again :evil:

2. Decided to try reinstalling the Yamaha USB driver, although it was fine for everything but the control surface feature. Before installing, I tried to remove it but the WinXP Add/Remove Program screen told me no Yamaha USB driver was installed (obviously not true). First sign that I'm on the right track 8-)

3, Downloaded and installed the latest Yamaha USB driver, rebooted laptop, factory reset Motif again, launched Live, still broken. :banghead:

4. Open Add/Remove Programs and now it showed the Yamaha USB driver. I removed and reinstalled it. Rebooted laptop, factory reset Motif again, now everything works :D

5. Crossing fingers, shut off laptop and Motif, turned both on, launched Live. Still working :dancer: :2cool:

OK, so what was the problem? Most likely WinXp corrupted the USB driver but I can't be 100% sure. Did the multiple factory resets of the Motif help? Maybe, but can't be sure.

Total time spent: about 12 hours over 4 days. That's time not making music just screwing with the laptop. Now the question is how long until the next roadblock [-X

Again, I really like the idea of softsynths but I keep chasing gremlins when I actually try to use them.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:59 pm

why buy windows computers?

i hope this is off topic enough to close this thread ;)

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:05 pm

I personally prefer working with the simplest efficient softwares like Audiomulch and a few plugins.
Spending time learning/debugging a computer/software is a major hassle. Time stolen from making music as stated previously.