Rank your pitch bend / mod wheels

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Rank your pitch bend / mod wheels

Post by pflosi » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:14 am

madtheory wrote:Synths that allow different values for positive and negative pitch bend- now that's good...
i guess that was little ironic, but YES, on an analog synth, this IS indeed a very nice feature

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:04 am

Dunno where you're getting "ironic" from... it was just another thought...

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:21 am

Analogue Crazy wrote:I really like the pitch and mod wheels on my DX7s. The pitch wheel springs back very fast, unlike the one on my Andromeda which is really slow springing back. If you know what your'e doing, you can achieve some amazing expression with the mod wheel, which can do much more than add vibrato to a sound.
i know what you are talking about!! A while ago i used one of those e-keys usb midi controllers. the entire thing was absolute c**p, but the worst part was the pitch wheel, it took half a bloody second to return to the center, so when pitch bending you would let go and instead of popping back to the pitch it slided up to it!!!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:12 am

madtheory wrote:Dunno where you're getting "ironic" from... it was just another thought...
so that was a misinterpretation from my side... sorry

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:03 am

No prob :)

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:32 pm

i love the joystick on the dw8000 , left and rigth gives you pitch bending , going up adds up the amount of mod applied to the OSC (pitch), and going down adds up the amount of mod applied to the VCF ... instant gratification. the poly-800 has the same joystick. wich other synth has that kind of joystick ??

second comes the korg lambda joystick. i dont really like the feel of the pitch bend but it looks so slick!

kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kayvon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:09 am

I didn't see anyone mention the Alesis Micron, I was really impressed by the sideways pitch wheel. Great for quick upwards bends imo.

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:10 pm

Yamaha DX-7IID - meh, they're okay. Nothing very special - in fact, I liked the MK1 version better. These feel cheaper.

E-mu Emax 1 & 2 - hate them - really do. I don't really use them often. It's the weird way that the deeply-grooved wheel sit somewhat flush to the "bump" surrounding them. Bad idea. E-mu - what was wrong with the E1/2/3 models' wheels?

E-mu Emulator II - simple and plain. Rather small, too. They work.

Moog Li'l Phatty - very nice. perfect size, material and a nice, smooth action.

Juno60, Jup6 & Jup8 - typical Roland. Smooth and quick to flick, as has been said before. On the fence with the mod button - I keep a small rubber-coated weight nearby to lay on the thing for "held" modulation in live situations.

SCI Prophet 5/600 - blech. Never liked them - the 600 is really bad. Just not very smooth - but I probably could help that with some lube. They've never felt particularly musical to me.

PPG Wave 2.2 & 2.3 - just lovely. These feel like the most expensive part of the boards - really. The glassy-smooth texture, butter-smooth action and even resistance are sadly let-down by the synth's poor CPU speed resulting in bad quantization/resolution - made worse with quicker movements.

Kawai SX-240 - similar to the JX3P stick and momentary switch/button scheme. This stick (maybe just mine) is extremely "loose" and quick to flick - more so than Roland's - but it returns to center just as fast.

Ensoniq SQ-80 & Mirage - same wheels on both (other Mirage models may vary). About as good as the DX wheels - these feel a bit better and have a bit more substance. Very decent.

Roland V-Synth - mine is rather sticky and squeaks when moved. I've never really liked the push/force sensor on the Roland boards, and I just don't understand why they didn't go the route of the Wavestation and just add wheels (or at least one) instead. I mean really - on a synth that's ALL about performance control and sound design, why in the world didn't they follow through on the most basic of controls? Sucks.

ARP Odyssey and Axxe (both last editions w/PPC) - I liked them at first when I got them as a pair, but then they rapidly became more resistant and less responsive. I'd rather have the pitch "knob" of the earlier ones. If I use the PPC too much, I get sore fingertips from pressing so hard.

I've got more, but nothing else really stands out IMO.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:02 am

JX-8p - !!!!!!! incredible. i couldn't immagine a better pitch bender for this synth. very inspirational essential for bass lines imo. push it up and it does vibrato!

korg radias - broke, but fun before it broke

juno 60 - definitly not as good as the jx-8p, but not bad.

access virus - meh - cool but i don't want it to end up like my radias. plus i never feel inspired to use it like on my jx. it's a bit heavy, and t feels like if i let it go back to the center on it's own that it's going to break.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

hollandturbine

Post by hollandturbine » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:30 am

A mod grip on a battery powered SH-101 and black leather pants on public transport FTW.