Rozzbox V.2 Discontinued

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
roland4387
Gear: TB-303(x's 2), EML 101, System 100 Model 101, TR-808 & 606, SH-2, ARP Odyssey MKII, Korg MS-20, Xbase999, Korg KMS-30, SBX-80, Future Retro Mobius

Rozzbox V.2 Discontinued

Post by roland4387 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:47 pm

Here's the bad news from Killians' site. I had one, sold it, now I hate myself! :oops:

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Rozzbox V.2 Discontinued

Post by nuketifromorbit » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:27 pm

roland4387 wrote:Here's the bad news from Killians' site. I had one, sold it, now I hate myself! :oops:
It's a shame really, but I'm sure he had very good financial reasons for doing so. It was pretty much the only synth in its price range that even interested me. Fortunately he seems to have given the oddulator its own page now. Considering that its much more affordable I hope it does well and brings Killian much success. I'm pretty damn sure I'll be picking one up.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:32 am

The Rozzbox was a funny one, I remember it was originally supposed to be really cheap but things kept getting added to it until it ended up expensive. Feature-creep is a b***h.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:28 pm

Pretty much the fate of all boutique instruments, if it's not selling well drop it and make something else instead.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:The Rozzbox was a funny one, I remember it was originally supposed to be really cheap but things kept getting added to it until it ended up expensive. Feature-creep is a b***h.
If I'm not mistaken it was cheap, like only three or four hundred pounds for the v.1. Of course it was monophonic and lacked the tube filter I believe. I guess the oddulator is kind of Killian's way of getting back to a more minimal design and there for cheaper design.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:56 am

Hope the Odd has the Tube filter option. That was the best feature of the Rozz.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:56 am

The Rozzbox was cool but I think he tried to squeeze too many features under one hood especially with the small interface it had.

The Oddulator looks like the best of the Rozz in a streamlined package.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Looks like the Oddulator could be a big hit. I know I'll be buying one if it is ever actually produced and the price doesn't steadily climb in the meantime. It would be nice if it carried over the tube filter optiion from the Rozzbox but I don't think that's going to happen. Does anybody know any details about the sequencer other than what's on the site?

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:18 pm

Got an email from Kilian today. The Oddulator will not be released. :(

Kent
Gear: Buchla 200e, Moog Voyager, Analogue Solutions Vostok, Rozzbox V2 & Laptop

Post by Kent » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:27 am

Yup, he has decided to bail out on these mad synth ventures. Much to the loss of everyone. At least I got to play with the Oddy @ the Schneider's Booth.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Yes, this is bad news...the Oddulator looked great.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Kent
Gear: Buchla 200e, Moog Voyager, Analogue Solutions Vostok, Rozzbox V2 & Laptop

Post by Kent » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:30 pm

I caved in and bought the last Rozzbox v2 @ Schneiderbuero. Holy... f**k... s**t! What a cool synth!

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:42 pm

What are the differences between the V2 and the original Rozzbox? I have an original version I picked up second hand a few years ago, through here I think, actually. Pretty neat little synth, though it (or rather mine, not sure if they all did) had a ghost in the machine or something, as it was very glitchy to get up and running and required several reboots and resets of the midi channel to start working. I'll have pull it out of storage and give it another go now that I'm thinking about it. :)
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

breitt

Post by breitt » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:22 am

I had the Rozzbox 2 for awhile and while it completely blew me away at first, I never really produced anything tangible and accesible with it. While this was probably a shortcoming on my my part, I eventually found it to be too difficult to actually control and meaningfully navigate around. I was just fiddlng and twiddling and producing "happy accident"-type weird sounds and noises occasionally and really never recorded songs per se. In other words, it was amazing and fun to f**k with, but for the price, I wanted to be able to effectively use the baffling sequencer and produce "real" music with it. I DO miss it, but the price-to-productivity ratio was just too high. The Spectralis II took its place for me, and provides the structure and uniqueness I was shooting for.
Elektron Analog 4

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:23 am

I could see that. Looks like a fun experimental box. Love the tube filter from what I've heard. The old version of the Rozzbox was really cool too. I heard a lot of sound clips on the website when it was still version 1. Seems like the new one added lots of fun extra features, plus a nice little lcd screen (even if it is small). Anyone ever seen the Rozzbox breakout box controller? I saw a pic and it looks like a Rozz except it's just a controller for secondary parameters.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse