What is the stupidest accident you've had with you gear?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: What is the stupidest accident you've had with you gear?

Post by space6oy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:30 pm

HH wrote:ehm ... found a sneeze on a nord lead ... thought it was the cat's "deed" ... beat the s**t out of it .... found out that it was my unlce ... damn, poor cat :)

Once had the MS20 fallen from the top tier on MS2000, broke one key on 2000
you beat your cat for sneezing? someone ought to drop a CS-80 on you...

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:58 pm

after a dress rehersal for a theater gig, i took my keyboards home, but left my two 15" speaker cabinets at the venue, chained to a stair rail backstage. lost the key. had to unscrew the handles.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

kyodai

Post by kyodai » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:57 pm

The stupidest thing I ever did was I started unplugging cables from my mixer with my monitor's still on and the mains faders still up, Blew out my right monitor. took me a few seconds to figure out that it was gone too but the mix just didn't sound right. :lol:

learned my lesson tho.

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:32 pm

Walking with the guitar plugged into the amp and not realizing the cable wasn't 50 feet long and I pulled the amp right off the chair it was on, slamming the amp to the floor and impaling the front panel with the plugged in cable! Granted, I was 17 at the time and the chair was my "amp stand" however the amp cost $150 to fix which was a lot for a 17 year old, but the worst part was that it happened the day of a gig and I had to scramble and rent a suckass Peavey amp to replace it for the gig. Then we didn't even get paid... That was a good day!
I like vintage synths....

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:35 pm

We had to evacuate a forest fire and had five minutes to get out. I packed the car with my signed Voyager in it's case, signed Theremin in it's case, a binder full of original CDs (not safetied - which I put in a laundry bag and then as an after thought, my Roland MC 505 (modified with a new LCD display and chocked full of original patterns), my dog and my Mom (who was visiting and already packed for the airport) - yes in that order.

After the airport run, I stayed at my friends place in town, all the while keeping an ear on the fire's progress. At my friends place, I pulled out my 505 Groovebox and all the knobs were bent and falling off. Apparently the binders had banged against it and damaged the knobs. Arrghhh! So the next day I send it to Long and McQuade in our town and they take two weeks to send it to Roland (apparently they don't fix gear in house anymore since they bought out the local music store which did fix in house).

It just got back to the store after 4 months!!!!

L&M are the Walmarts of music in Canada and the repair service is so downhill since they bought out the independents.

I guess there's a couple of stories here. One is, pack gear properly and another is the nostalgia I have for independent music stores.

Oh yes - repair is about $260 and my house was spared from the forest fire.
Last edited by Phollop Willing PA on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:55 pm

A lot of comic (also tragic) incidents so far... :lol:
I guess when looking back, you can laugh about these things.

Keep 'em coming !

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:09 pm

Wow, I haven't done anything like that. Worst thing I've ever done is plug an IC into a socket backwards -- did that last year with a breadboard and fried an old 1458 opamp. Nothing that can't be replaced, though. When I was moving the JD800 downstairs last year, I banged its side into a corner of the wall. The JD800 was fine; the wall, not so much. :lol: Had to patch it.

One time, many years ago, I went to band practice with a bandage over a cut on my finger. At one point during the practice, I did a glissando on my 106 and ripped the bandge off and opened up the cut. By the end of the song, I had bled all over the keyboard. :oops:
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

cornutt

Post by cornutt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:11 pm

Sexor wrote:I dropped a CS-80 from a 5th floor balcony. It crushed a car to smithereens. The CS was fine however.
Let me guess: You were hauling it up the side of the building with a crane, and Wile E. Coyote was standing under it. :lol:
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:20 pm

I'm smart.
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:27 pm

My worst was entirely my fault. I was seducing a female friend of my brother and had brought her 'round my bedroom so that I could play Mr Lover. Alas, we'd had a few refreshments and in the process of making my move I knocked over an entire Modcan modular system.

It was fortunately unharmed; the moment, however, was killed. We had a laugh but it completely ruined the atmosphere.

I did cop off with her friend later that evening though.... :wink:

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:33 pm

NEVER PUT A LAVA LAMP NEXT TO YOUR GEAR.

caps lock intentional
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

cornutt

Post by cornutt » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:10 am

Awright, dagnabbit, you guys jinxed me. I was just finishing off the power supply connections for a new block of my modular. And I failed to notice that I had the + and - 15V reversed on my MOTM-990 distribution board. So when I powered it up, it blew all of the filter caps.

The garage really stinks now. #-o

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:12 am

Christopher Winkels wrote:My worst was entirely my fault. I was seducing a female friend of my brother and had brought her 'round my bedroom so that I could play Mr Lover. Alas, we'd had a few refreshments and in the process of making my move I knocked over an entire Modcan modular system.
:lol:
balma wrote:NEVER PUT A LAVA LAMP NEXT TO YOUR GEAR.

caps lock intentional
Please tell us about this! :)

redroomrecordings
Gear: Virus TI . Virus C . Blofeld . Maschine
Band: Distorted Memory / CAKEBUILDER

Post by redroomrecordings » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:33 am

I once plugged in the wrong a/c adaptor to a kstation and didnt notice until i smelled something burning and saw smoke coming from it....surprisingly it worked fine after that, except for the fact that if left on for a while the patch would start to self edit, which was actually kind of neat sometimes, but annoying when recording.

the dumbest thing though was with my virus c rack. i use it to add tempo synced delay to my live vocals. one show my back up guy had all the gear on a pretty high table with the c and another virus on a tilted stand i made. my mic cable was plugged in the back and at the very last moment of the show i sort of went crazy and somehow managed to kick the cable and send the virus c in flight about four feet out and then straight down to the stage. luckily it landed bottom down and on a pile of cammo netting that was part of the stage props hiding gear, and even more luckily it didnt pull a bunch of other gear with it.......this is why i am trying REALLY hard to find rack ears for the c (see gear wanted :) )....on the plus though people thought it was intentional and pretty bad a*s looking.

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:49 am

I have a slight subversion on this: Gear has damaged me once. I was setting up a small PA in the lounge at the boarding school I attended last year, and I had a speakon cable slung over my neck. Back at the mixing table, the guy rigging the FOH mixer yanks the other end of the cable... really, really hard. My neck was bruised for weeks afterwards, looked like someone had tried to garotte me backwards :P

Though the final day I got to throw a TV out the window of my friend's room, three floors down. My big rockstar moment :D
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...